PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Cleaning Issue

KlipschRVX
08-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Hello All, thanks in advance for the help. I'm struggling with a dash issue in my 2012 Sequoia. The Toyota dash is a painted plastic rather than molded with color all the way through. It's a hard textured plastic with a matte gray finish.

When I first got the vehicle I had a problem with two grease stains above the instrument cluster. Because they were in an area that I couldn't see while driving, they were left sit too long and my only option for repair was to have the dash repainted and blended in that spot.

Before the repaint, I had tried tons of ways to cover them, including a product from a local detail supply shop that left a shiny residue all over the dash.

So my issue is that half of my dash is perfect from the re-spray but the center and passenger sides have a shiny residue in the tiny crevices of the textures. I've tried everything I can think of... CG Innerclean, Diluted CG All Clean, on microfiber. Even diluted dish detergent in warm water.

My question would be, is there something else that I haven't thought of to remove this stuff or would there be a product with very little shine that I could cover and make the dash consistent. I HATE a shiny dash. The stuff that's on there now looks good right after a wipe down but a few days later it's back and depending on the sun it's worse than others.

Hope my explanation is okay, tough to figure out how to describe this... Thanks very much!

wdmaccord
08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
How bout some pics?

ducksfan
08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Steam it?

KlipschRVX
08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I guess I can try to post some photos... I'm not sure how well they will show up. It's funny how this shiny junk works, on cloudy days after a nice cleaning it looks great. As soon as the morning sun comes across that dash it looks terrible. Shiny patches all over the dash. I'll see what I can capture to accurately represent the issue...

KlipschRVX
08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
I hope I've not added too many photos. I've sized them appropriately to the website. It's hard to photograph, looks more severe in person.

Charger12
08-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Is it just me or are all the pics upside down?

KlipschRVX
08-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Shouldn't be, that's weird, they are all correct on my screen.

KlipschRVX
08-18-2014, 03:03 PM
I did find another post that was similar. There's a guy with a Mustang with shiny stains on his dash. People had recommended a longer nap microfiber with an agitated APC. I will probably try more of that with hot water when I get home from work tonight. It's frustrating, as soon as I think I got it, it seems to come back...