PDA

View Full Version : Paint iscoloration behind rear wheels-what to do?

Pages : [1] 2

creaky
08-18-2014, 07:51 AM
I corrected and coated my wife's car last week. I just noticed that on the bottom of the area between the rear bumper and the rear wheel there is this discoloration (see attached). Not sure if that was some leftover compound/polish that I didn't see/buff or what. I'm thinking that it was just a novice mistake and that I should just rebuff the area with compound, polish, clean, and recoat.

But before I do that, I wanted to get some input from those here that are more experienced in case it's something else. We live in a rural area where there is a lot of loose gravel on the roads and the bottom of the cars take a beating.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Genuine Finish
08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
I corrected and coated my wife's car last week. I just noticed that on the bottom of the area between the rear bumper and the rear wheel there is this discoloration (see attached). Not sure if that was some leftover compound/polish that I didn't see/buff or what. I'm thinking that it was just a novice mistake and that I should just rebuff the area with compound, polish, clean, and recoat.

But before I do that, I wanted to get some input from those here that are more experienced in case it's something else. We live in a rural area where there is a lot of loose gravel on the roads and the bottom of the cars take a beating.

Thanks in advance for the help!

how long did you let the coating cure for? which coating did you use as well? IMO it looks like left over compound/polish that was coated over! easy to happen especially if its your first time coating. make sure you IPA every last inch of the vehicle before coating. Inspect, inspect again, and inspect one more time!!!!

HUMP DIESEL
08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Does she drive this car on a regular basis? It almost looks like road rash to me, where it has been beat up over time. If not, then you could be right and you left some compound of polish.

HUMP

creaky
08-18-2014, 09:27 AM
how long did you let the coating cure for? which coating did you use as well? IMO it looks like left over compound/polish that was coated over! easy to happen especially if its your first time coating. make sure you IPA every last inch of the vehicle before coating. Inspect, inspect again, and inspect one more time!!!!

Thanks, GF! I used Black Label coating and is has been curing since last Friday.

If it is leftover compound/polish, does my plan to recompound/polish/clean/recoat just that area sound like a good one?

creaky
08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Does she drive this car on a regular basis? It almost looks like road rash to me, where it has been beat up over time. If not, then you could be right and you left some compound of polish.

HUMP

Thanks, Hump. Yes, this is a daily driver. If it is road rash then I can go the route of touch-up paint. I just wanted to eliminate some steps if it was either that or compound. Not sure which....

creaky
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
And just to be clear, what I'm wondering about is the white "haze" around the rock chips, not the chips themselves. Thanks!

allenk4
08-18-2014, 11:56 AM
No way you would have not noticed that much left over polish on the paint and applied sealant over it

Mix a 20% IPA solution and go over the area a few times with a microfiber towel and see it it comes off

Post some close-up pictures

Genuine Finish
08-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks, GF! I used Black Label coating and is has been curing since last Friday.

If it is leftover compound/polish, does my plan to recompound/polish/clean/recoat just that area sound like a good one?

yes that would be the best bet for fixing it! How long after the coating was cured or had started to cure was the vehicle driven? There is a possibility that if it was soon after it could be some tire-fling from driving. light dust possibly!

creaky
08-18-2014, 01:18 PM
No way you would have not noticed that much left over polish on the paint and applied sealant over it

Mix a 20% IPA solution and go over the area a few times with a microfiber towel and see it it comes off

Post some close-up pictures

Well, since the area is pretty much almost under the car, it's possible I might have missed it (not a pro). I'll try and get some better pics.

yes that would be the best bet for fixing it! How long after the coating was cured or had started to cure was the vehicle driven? There is a possibility that if it was soon after it could be some tire-fling from driving. light dust possibly!

OK, thanks! The car hasn't been driven since curing (just quickly outside and back in the garage to check for any streaking in daylight).

rodneypierce
08-18-2014, 01:31 PM
In my opinion, I dont think its polish. As I notice a line through the middle where there is no "white residue". I would be curious to know if this line, lines up with the deep block on the tire where there is no tread (space between tread blocks) and if it does, Im going to say this is mostly "road rash/sand blasting" coming off the tire.

creaky
08-18-2014, 03:33 PM
In my opinion, I dont think its polish. As I notice a line through the middle where there is no "white residue". I would be curious to know if this line, lines up with the deep block on the tire where there is no tread (space between tread blocks) and if it does, Im going to say this is mostly "road rash/sand blasting" coming off the tire.

I think you may have nailed it, Rodney. The lines where there is no white residue _does_ line up with the lines between the blocks on the tire tread.

I did try some IPA wipe on the area and it did help but did not completely eliminate the problem.

I think my course of action now will be to try and compound/polish/IPA the area as best I can and try to repair with Dr. Colorchip.

Sound good, guys?

allenk4
08-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Sounds Good

Looking forward to some close-up Before and Afters

rodneypierce
08-19-2014, 12:20 AM
I think you may have nailed it, Rodney. The lines where there is no white residue _does_ line up with the lines between the blocks on the tire tread.

I did try some IPA wipe on the area and it did help but did not completely eliminate the problem.

I think my course of action now will be to try and compound/polish/IPA the area as best I can and try to repair with Dr. Colorchip.

Sound good, guys?

We have a lot of sand around here in the winter months and shortly there after. See it all the time ;)

creaky
08-27-2014, 10:26 AM
OK, folks, here are the before and after shots. Sorry for the delay. I washed and dried the car ('13 brilliant black Audi A5) then compounded with with Wolfgang Uber (LC orange pad), polished with Megs 205 (LC white pad), then IPA wipedown followed by Dr. Colorchip. Let the Dr. CC dry for an hour (longer than I have in the past) since this is a part of the car that's obviously getting abused. After a wipe up with the Dr. CC solution it looks much better. You can still see where the chips are but the white hazing is gone and the chips are much more subdued. Since this is on the bottom of the car anyway, it's more for my benefit than anyone else's!

allenk4
08-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Much better

Is the next step re-polishing the area of the touch-up?