PDA

View Full Version : Prepping with waterless/ rinseless?

Marvinlopezgti
08-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if it is possible to prep paint for a compound/ polish with a waterless or rinseless product. Or what is an ecofriendly product I could use to strip wax and other LSP?

Thanks.

builthatch
08-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if it is possible to prep paint for a compound/ polish with a waterless or rinseless product. Or what is an ecofriendly product I could use to strip wax and other LSP?

Thanks.

wash with Dawn Ultra if you want to remove wax.

they use it to remove oil from wildlife during catastrophes. it's safe.

Marvinlopezgti
08-18-2014, 12:33 AM
wash with Dawn Ultra if you want to remove wax.

they use it to remove oil from wildlife during catastrophes. it's safe.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was not expecting to use a hose. That's why I said the rinseless or waterless method.

jamesboyy
08-18-2014, 12:33 AM
You could use waterless or rinse less product of choice, clay then use apc or rubbing alcohol to strip paintwork

Marvinlopezgti
08-18-2014, 12:43 AM
You could use waterless or rinse less product of choice, clay then use apc or rubbing alcohol to strip paintwork

Is there a way to tell if the products are stripped?

hernandez.art13
08-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Get a bottle of water and run it where you attempted to strip of LSP. (Might as well and do a test spot so you don't attempt to remove the LSP to whole car and then just realizing that you spent all that time to little or no avail)

If it's still sheeting off then that could be an indicator that you didn't remove it.

If it just puddles/gathers there. Then that could mean that you did in fact remove it.

I don't think it's that important to completely remove previous LSP if your going to compound and polish.

Just do a rinseless or waterless wash, clay and then proceed with your paint correction.

And you can just do an IPA wipe down to remove the LSP.

Real Riders
08-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Meguiars D114 Rinseless will prep the paint before the detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICbdJocUI4

cleanmycorolla
08-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Is there a way to tell if the products are stripped?

You're going to strip the products when you polish. Also depending how long what you have on their now has been there, it might have already warn off. So don't worry much about stripping the paint if you're going to polish. Polishing will remove it.

cleanmycorolla
08-18-2014, 09:52 AM
You're going to strip the products when you polish. Also depending how long what you have on their now has been there, it might have already warn off. So don't worry much about stripping the paint if you're going to polish. Polishing will remove it.

forgot to add in time, you could always add some APC to your rinse bucket!

allenk4
08-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Not this^

As others have said, polishing will remove any LSP

Your objective in prepping paint for polishing is to remove above surface and embedded contamination so that it does not interfere with the polishing process.

Do a normal rinseless wash to remove surface dirt.

Do a "Baggie Test", if it's rough...clay and the proceed to compound and polish

Some suggest a product like Iron-x to remove embedded contaminants like brake dust and rail dust.
IMO, this step is great, but not required, especially in production detailing. If you are going to do it, it goes before claying in the process.