PDA

View Full Version : To layer or not layer LSPs?

Pages : [1] 2

nubaseal
08-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Been reading up here a lot. There seems to be no consensus as some people seems to think the more layers of waxes/sealants you have, the better. While others feel products can't or shouldn't be layered.

I was thinking of doing a complete correction on my car and then sealing it with Duragloss601/105 topped with some Collinite 845 or Dodo Juice Supernatural hybrid so it gets me through 6 months of very harsh and hot sun. But people here have posted that they heard from DG that a wax on top will degrade the sealant. Others swear that stuff can be layered.

Then there is the question of spray waxes like Optimum Spray wax. Is it designed to be a stand alone LSP or it can compliment a few layers of other waxes and sealants?

I recently exchanged some emails with Sonax in Germany and they clarified that they do not encourage layering or mixing two of their waxes/ sealants. They asked me to pick one and stick to it.

Sippi
08-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Mostly from what i have heard it is fine to use a sealant then a wax if that's the layering you are talking about. A buddy of mine does this with his cars and it looks amazing and stays protected. He does it twice a year in the spring and fall (since MS summers are brutal on paint). This fall when i re-polish my truck and coat it again, i will use a sealant then a wax. I still have a full bottle of liquid glass that i'm itching to use, so i'll probably go with that then top it off with M26 as usual. I wouldn't go with a wax first though, sealant needs to be bonded to the paint, wax will give it an extra layer of protectant and deeper finish on top of it. Wax generally doesn't have any "removal" capabilities so i don't believe it would degrade the sealant (just don't use a cleaner wax or anything like that).

I've never used optimum spray wax, but i use megs ultimate quick wax, or something like it depending on what i have between waxes and it does fine. Now that i'm using DP power wash with the carnauba in it, i doubt i will use it as much, seems to be no real need for it.

Klasse Act
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Hey Nuba, the use of DG #501/601 as a base is a great idea, topping it with #845 should get you a solid 6 monthes but if your looking for even more protection, say going into the winter, top that with Collinite #476! The use of DG #501/601 right now should get you well into the fall, then you can do a good wash, clay bar or Speedy prep towel, another coat of D/ #501/601, then the #845, wait a day and apply #476 to the entire car, including the glass and you'll be all set for the winter. If your anything like me, apply 2x's #476, it doesn't hurt and is so easy to apply remove. You can actually apply it to the entire car AND THEN remove, makes the job soooo much easier!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Belair
08-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Reading these threads can provide lots of useful info but it can also drive you nuts. There are those who pick one brand, get to know the products that work for their paint, then use them exclusively. Seems to save lots of time scratching your head and second guessing yourself. As someone once said, this is supposed to be your therapy not the reason you need therapy.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
08-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Is it ok to layer?.....yes
Is there a noticeable difference after a certain amount of layers?...debatable....eh
Do you gain more and more protection the more you layer....debatable...eh

Here is my $.02

If you're going to layer, try to use products from the same brand. They are made to work together. That's doesn't mean you can't pull sealant from one brand and wax from a another. There are some well documented products that work together that are from different brands.

Here is what I've layered and know it works very well..and like it...

2 coats Chemical Guys Blacklight topped with 50/50 wax (4.5 months on regularly maintained paint)
2 coats CG JetSeal 109 topped with 50/50 wax (lasted all winter, regularly maintained)

As the great Mike Phillips says...

"Find something you like and use it often"

trekkeruss
08-17-2014, 04:00 PM
If you're going to layer, try to use products from the same brand. They are made to work together.

That's my method. I'm currently using Megs Utimate Liquid Wax, and Quik Wax as a booster. When I move to Cquartz UK later this year, I will use Reload.

dlc95
08-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I layer purely for fun. I've always had great luck with Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant to obtain protection through harsher months. The cars I maintain have a layer of sealant. I'll reapply monthly until September, when I'll layer carnauba over it. While I like the idea of durability, I know that once spring arrives, the vehicles will all be polished, and the process starts over again.

This winter might be different as I may have access to a heated garage!

Klasse Act
08-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Because I have a good layer of DGNCC laid down, with #915 ontop of it I'm going to observe this combo during the end of summer and into the fall and see how it goes, I've been told I don't need to put anything ontop of the DGNCC, by the President of the company of all people but I had my reasons, see the DGNCC thread for more info. If this works out, I will do another good base in the middle of the fall with DGNCC and apply 2-3 coats of Collinite #476 and let it ride, maintaining with regular rinseless washes and the occasional touch-free to get the underneath and crevaces.

Some say they like the look of a freshly waxed car, well, in my previous cars case it was just that! I had the car for about 2.5 yrs and between the various products in my collection, I hand applied something to that car 186 times, LOL! Nooone is going to be able to come and put a straight jacket on me as I traded the car in on Valentine's Day this year, plus I think the statute of limitations has run out, LOL! I know this, someone in the state of Indiana has the cleanest, most protected Honda CR-Z around!!

FUNX650
08-17-2014, 05:54 PM
•Two thin layers of Wax (to ensure total coverage)...OK.

-Same thought process, as above, for Sealants...
Or some people will layer these types of LSPs 'til the cows come home: Their prerogative.

•Wax over Sealant:
-Which product's characteristics are you really wanting?

•Coatings:
A single layer of a Coating should definitely be enough!

If more than one layer is needed, then:
-that Coating is not very super-duper; or:
-the initial application process was lacking in providing complete coverage.

Layering a Wax, Sealant, and either the same or a different 'Coating...atop an existing Coating's film-layer...is an exercise in futility.

•JMHOs.

Bob

Eandras
08-17-2014, 06:05 PM
I layer and layer. I am a wax user.

Ed

Kamakaz1961
08-17-2014, 06:16 PM
I put 2 coats of a sealant on and then top that off with 2 coats of wax. Is the layering better? IMO yes, but again, that is me. IMO that is a great way to go.

Klasse Act
08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
I put 2 coats of a sealant on and then top that off with 2 coats of wax. Is the layering better? IMO yes, but again, that is me. IMO that is a great way to go.

Yeah, if your going to layer, IMO, its best to lay down your sealant or coating, then apply a nuba over the top of it. Keep this in mind though everyone, the looks will change when you go from a sealant/coating to a nuba. Most of us know this already but with so many noobs it doesn't hurt to mention this, so please don't take it the wrong way. For you noobs its basically like this, your sealants and coatings will give the paint a "plastic" look, almost looking fake because of the insane gloss, whereas the nuba will look more deep and natrual looking. The other thing here is durability, the sealant/coatings aren't going to "melt" away like a nuba will, so keep this in mind if you live where its hot or REAL hot. If I lived where its hot all the time, it would be sealants/coatings all the time, maybe a nuba when it cools down if you wanted to change up the look a bit :dblthumb2:

RMM
08-17-2014, 06:57 PM
•Two thin layers of Wax (to ensure total coverage)...OK.

-Same thought process, as above, for Sealants...
Or some people will layer these types of LSPs 'til the cows come home: Their prerogative.

•Wax over Sealant:
-Which product's characteristics are you really wanting?

•Coatings:
A single layer of a Coating should definitely be enough!

If more than one layer is needed, then:
-that Coating is not very super-duper; or:
-the initial application process was lacking in providing complete coverage.

Layering a Wax, Sealant, and either the same or a different 'Coating...atop an existing Coating's film-layer...is an exercise in futility.

•JMHOs.

Bob

Bob said it all.

Wax layering (and sealant layering also) is more a myth than anything else. Two coats are more than enough and the second one is mainly necessary only for achieving even coverage.

There are two threads that demystify this recurring issue:
Thickness of wax layers? - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127943&highlight=layer+test+micron)
Wax and Sealant thicknesses - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130901&highlight=thickness)

Klasse Act
08-17-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm surely not the best person to comment on what Bob said but when you really look at what he said, well, its all true but I would like to add that because coatings go on so thin, a 2nd coat will also ensure proper coverage, so maybe add a 2nd coat when doing a paint coating, IMO anyways.

nubaseal
08-18-2014, 04:11 AM
I just recalled "Richy" here who is a Canadian detailer and an ardent fan of using Duragloss 105+Collinite 845. I have a similar combination in mind (DG105+Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid). I'd like to hear from you Richy.