PDA

View Full Version : is there salt removal chemical for winter cleaning?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

sito
08-17-2014, 12:57 PM
is there salt removal chemical for winter cleaning?

FUNX650
08-17-2014, 01:23 PM
is there salt removal chemical for winter cleaning?
These are the chemicals that I use:
Car-wash shampoos and water.

Bob

CarolinasFinestDetailing
08-17-2014, 01:46 PM
For paint, do a good job prepping it with paint sealant & wax or coating. As for undercarriage, I have a jack and pressure wash my undercarriage here and there. Some people drive through a car wash just for undercarriage cleaning.

Audios S6
08-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Generally acids work well to assist in solubilizing minerals (such as sodium or magnesium chloride). Stick to a mild acid such as citric acid or acetic acid. It is generally not necessary on paint if you are using a pressure washer.

Jertronic
08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Could your add say 60ml (2oz.) of vinegar to a normal wash bucket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glh17
08-17-2014, 02:09 PM
My response to road salt is a touchless wash with undercarriage. Certainly not ideal but best alternative in some cases. This has not been much a problem in my area for a long time until this past winter. I try to get a coat of wax/sealant on in October.

peterhurcos
08-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Salt is pretty inert. So anything calling itself salt neutralizer or some similar name is presumptively nonsense.

That said, people with boats really like "Salt Away" It's some fairly common chemical like TSP and some other proprietary protectants. Very short term whatever they may be, that's for sure.

I've used it. It doen't take off the sealant at least. I notice that when I switch from product to rinse on the foam gun it goes away like right now. So, I guess it works pretty much as it says: It does a really good job of rinsing off all the salt. If I lived in that kind of environment I would use it on a regular basis. For me, I use it on the infrequent occasions they salt the road.

If it were me, I'd just break down and get the product--Those who use competing tsp products still like Salt-Away better. Just better proportions, probably. If I wanted to save a buck, I might go to the paint store and get a box of TSP. What proportions I would use, I don't know.

Klasse Act
08-17-2014, 03:12 PM
I always use rinseless as a pre-wash, so once its sprayed on there it starts breaking down the salt, more salt, just spray more rinseless made up as pre-wash. This is exactly why I recycle my rinseless, no reason to pour it out....EVER!

Bob, I love your post about soap and water, so tongue in cheek....but true, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Klasse Act
08-17-2014, 03:13 PM
My response to road salt is a touchless wash with undercarriage. Certainly not ideal but best alternative in some cases. This has not been much a problem in my area for a long time until this past winter. I try to get a coat of wax/sealant on in October.

If you've gone weeks in the snow/salt this is a great thing to do, then a rinseless wash if the garage is available, if not, wait till its about 35 and sunny and get the hot water in those buckets and get to it with your rinseless after the touch-free.

sito
08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Could your add say 60ml (2oz.) of vinegar to a normal wash bucket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how does vinergar remove road salt?

FUNX650
08-17-2014, 05:15 PM
-Vinegar is acidic (acetic acid).
-Salts are minerals.
-Acetic acid will "dissolve" minerals.

Note:
Acetic acid is very corrosive to many
automotive metals/metal alloys.

Bob

chet31
08-17-2014, 11:46 PM

Water by itself is an excellent solvent for salt. Water is a polar solvent, NaCl (table salt, and most road salt) is polar, therefore water dissolves salt. Vinegar is usually 95% water, 5% acetic acid. To oversimplify, the acetic acid increases the polarity of water, making it dissolve salt better. However, acids in the presence of chloride ions is not metal friendly. Also, acetic acid does not make water THAT much better of a solvent. On a scale of 1 to 10 for solvents that dissolve road salt, water by itself is a 9.5. Therefore, skip the vinegar, just use water.

glh17
08-17-2014, 11:53 PM
If you've gone weeks in the snow/salt this is a great thing to do, then a rinseless wash if the garage is available, if not, wait till its about 35 and sunny and get the hot water in those buckets and get to it with your rinseless after the touch-free.

I've never tried a waterless/rinseless wash before but order a concentrate bottle of Pinnacle Liquid Crystal yesterday after hearing the recommendations and videos on waterless washes.

silverfox
08-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Its called a coating. Nothing ...even salt is no match for a properly coated car. Plain water will remove it.

HUMP DIESEL
08-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Auto Finesse Citrus Power.

HUMP