PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer not removing dirt on powder coated rims?

Pages : [1] 2

marker227
08-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Okay, I need a little help...

I purchased a Sun Joe SPX1000 1450 PSI 11.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer. I only got it to help remove dirt from my white powder-coated rims.

It works great for the most part, but I'm having trouble with my white powder-coated rims. The pressure washer seems to get loose dirt off, etc. but it will not remove the very fine layer of dirt that is on the spokes, or on the inside of the rim...

Here's the weird part. I can wipe it off the light dirt with my finger! No detergent or any rubbing. I don't understand why this is happening.

My only idea is to purchase the next model up and go with the SPX2000 1740 PSI 12.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer.

I need this figured out relatively soon because I'm about a week or so into my return period from Amazon.

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated! :)

pld
08-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Yup, go on your knees with your favorite wash mitt and bucket of car wash soap and wash them.:dblthumb2:

jamesboyy
08-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Like PLD said get down there and clean em you dont have to be on your knees you can sit on the ground or a short stool with a decicated wheel wash mitt/rag, car soap and have a long "conversation" with each wheel, enjoy...happy detailing

marker227
08-17-2014, 11:15 AM
I'd like to keep one of the pressure washers, at least to remove the dirt it is able to still get off.

Will a higher PSI just not remove the light dirt then? What about in conjunction with detergent?

I used to do my rims with a mothers power ball and that thing works great! It just takes too long per wheel to get all the dirt off... I'm thinking like 5-10 minutes a wheel. I bought the pressure washer to help reduce that time frame.

glh17
08-17-2014, 12:00 PM
There are limits to what a pressure washer can do. I have a 2800 psi washer but I don't use it on my vehicles any more. I took a three inch strip of paint off the rim of a truck I had several years ago. I was having the same problem as you. I was trying to get close enough to get the brake dust off but got too close.

Someone might have a different experience but my experience with pressure washers is that they are good at removing the big stuff but to get the vehicle really clean you need to hand wash. I never tried the foam baths followed by pw and maybe stronger wash liquid would work. I just don't have any experience with them. My thinking is that a soap that strong would probably remove wax, as would a significantly higher pressure washer.

However, if I were going to use a pw it would have a power similar to your's. If you can find a combo of wash and pressure washer that will safely clean at least a moderated dirty vehicle, let me know.

jamesboyy
08-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Like said pressure washer can become a danger to your vehicle than a help if too powerful, however if you want the process of cleaning them to become faster then consider coating them with something like opti coat or every month once out the month you give your wheels a deep clean and apply a sealant to them after you are done lastly look into some stronger cleaners like sonax full effect etc to help you out a bit

pld
08-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Put a coating on your wheels ( I use Collinite 476 or Finish Kare 1000p) and if you clean them at least once a week it's effortless.:dblthumb2:

allenk4
08-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Just ditch the White Rims

S2K
08-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Keep them coated and try one of these:

Speed Master Wheel Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html)

Works great for me!

VISITOR
08-17-2014, 01:40 PM
sometimes you have to touch the paint/wheels to get them perfectly clean as even a pressure washer can't remove a film left behind...

FUNX650
08-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I'd like to keep one of the pressure washers, at least to remove the dirt it is able to still get off.

^^^ Good Idea!! :dblthumb2: ^^^

Will a higher PSI just not remove the light dirt then? What about in conjunction with detergent?

That road/traffic-film is a tough bugger to remove.
A water/detergent solution...aided with agitation...is usually more effective than by just using pressurized water.

I used to do my rims with a mothers power ball and that thing works great! It just takes too long per wheel to get all the dirt off... I'm thinking like 5-10 minutes a wheel. I bought the pressure washer to help reduce that time frame.
^^^...:eek:...:wow:...:eek:...^^^

I never have used the PowerBall for wheel cleaning before!
{<sound of grinding contaminates into wheels' surfaces>}

Bob

glh17
08-17-2014, 01:56 PM
This may not be any help at all but one thing I've thought about as an alternative to a normal hand wash on a dirty car is to use a good quality foam then pressure wash with a washer similar to your's. Follow with a rinseless (waterless) wash like Pinnacle Liquid Crystal. This still involves more time and effort than you were hoping for with the pressure washer but it might be a suitable alternative to a traditional wash.

I'm really just throwing this out to see what others say. I just ordered some PLC but have never tried a waterless wash. My plan is to use it regularly when my vehicles aren't very dirty. Waterless might be a good alternative under normal conditions but the pressure washer and foam might be necessary under worse than normal conditions.

Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba, waterless car wash, eco friendly car wash products (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-wash-concentrate-with-carnauba.html)

glh17
08-17-2014, 02:51 PM
This may not be any help at all but one thing I've thought about as an alternative to a normal hand wash on a dirty car is to use a good quality foam then pressure wash with a washer similar to your's. Follow with a rinseless (waterless) wash like Pinnacle Liquid Crystal. This still involves more time and effort than you were hoping for with the pressure washer but it might be a suitable alternative to a traditional wash.

I'm really just throwing this out to see what others say. I just ordered some PLC but have never tried a waterless wash. My plan is to use it regularly when my vehicles aren't very dirty. Waterless might be a good alternative under normal conditions but the pressure washer and foam might be necessary under worse than normal conditions.

Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba, waterless car wash, eco friendly car wash products (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-wash-concentrate-with-carnauba.html)

P.S. After thinking about it, the pressure wash followed by waterless is not going to save anything if you have to dry the car after the pressure wash. Might as well go with the conventional wash.

jsgntulok
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Okay, I need a little help...

I purchased a Sun Joe SPX1000 1450 PSI 11.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer. I only got it to help remove dirt from my white powder-coated rims.

It works great for the most part, but I'm having trouble with my white powder-coated rims. The pressure washer seems to get loose dirt off, etc. but it will not remove the very fine layer of dirt that is on the spokes, or on the inside of the rim...

Here's the weird part. I can wipe it off the light dirt with my finger! No detergent or any rubbing. I don't understand why this is happening.

My only idea is to purchase the next model up and go with the SPX2000 1740 PSI 12.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer.

I need this figured out relatively soon because I'm about a week or so into my return period from Amazon.

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated! :)
If the only reason you purchased the PW is to clean your wheels, then send it back. As many others have posted, a pressure washer by itself is not going to get that clingy grim off and you run a big risk of striping paint from your wheels. The only way to get your wheels clean is get up close and personal with cleaner and appropriate brushes and go to work. Trying to take shortcuts will look like, well, you took shortcuts. You can probably get your wheels clean with cleaner and brushes in less time than it takes to set up and then take apart and store your pressure washer.

marker227
08-17-2014, 04:59 PM
look into some stronger cleaners like sonax full effect etc to help you out a bit

I have sonax, and it works great, but doesn't get the film of dirt that's left behind.

sometimes you have to touch the paint/wheels to get them perfectly clean as even a pressure washer can't remove a film left behind...

That's exactly what I'm trying to remove! There is a small film layer of dirt.. Comes off with a finger or cloth, but not a hose.

I never have used the PowerBall for wheel cleaning before!
{<sound of grinding contaminates into wheels' surfaces>}

Bob

Yes, I use a power ball. It works just like a rag would. I never had a problem with it. Normally I would wipe every spoke down with a rag and the dirt comes right off. The job took too long so I ended up switching to a power ball.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about a light film, not like caked on dirt with sand and grit mixed into it... I'll attach some photos of what I'm talking about.

To those who have stated a power washer isn't safe on wheels. I realize that. However, if it's under 2k it is generally safe to use and will NOT strip or damage paint. Of course, you never use a straight stream on paint.... I generally don't wash the car with the washer. If I do, I use the 45 degree angle to mist and push off the loose dirt.