PDA

View Full Version : Paint chip repair question

Jertronic
08-17-2014, 10:18 AM

The location of this brand new rock chip is right next to the head light. Total buzz kill because I have been meticulous in protecting the paint on my 2013 scion FR-S. I've got dp policoat sealant underneath 2 layers of colinite 845. And still this happens.

What is be best way to 1) correct or 2) repair so that the area doesn't grow into a larger defect over time.

The last time I had a clear bra (3M venture shield) on a BMW 3 series the product looked terrible after a few years. But, it might be a necessary evil in protecting the front end paint. It seems like his must be a common occurrence and I would love to learn a way to fix all the front end paint chip damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboToys
08-17-2014, 10:36 AM
either go with a dr colorchip system which runs about 59.99 in the autogeek store.

or do a little extra prep work and do it with regular touch up paints, you could fix it quick and easy with the colorchip system, or take a bit more time and get the same results from 15 dollars of supplies, but it wont be as quick as dab and swipe then wipe.

Jertronic
08-17-2014, 10:47 AM
What prep work does regular touch up paint require. The dealer has the specific paint code touch up paint in stock. A small vial/container.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboToys
08-17-2014, 01:37 PM
you should ideally, wax the whole area to prevent damage if you spill some.

then use some qtips and pencils with sandpaper glued to the eraser to prep.

after waxing, sand the rock chip location as close to inside as possible (you can go a little outside if you want, but youl have to correct that later if you do). use either 800-1000 grit paper to start, and then after you do that use some prep cleaner like the ppg prep all or even some of the gtechniq wipe cleaner will work fine, use the qtip to apply it and clean it out. then put your paint into a second container.

dab a toothpick into the paint and then transfer it to the repair spot, dabbing it in place, never drag or smear. ideally you want it to be slightly raised up over the edge, when it dries and the solvents evaporate it will shrink down again.

you can either leave it as that or you can do another application or another until it is slightly higher than the surrounding area, if you do this you will want to wetsand that location down or you may damage the spot when trying to polish scratches out.

there are a lot of good tutorials around, i believe mike phillips has one on the site here, and larry from ammo also has a good one.

allenk4
08-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Unless the chip is rusted, there is no need to sand before applying touch-up paint.

Just clean it thoroughly with IPA to remove any wax or polish residue

TurboToys
08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Unless the chip is rusted, there is no need to sand before applying touch-up paint.

Just clean it thoroughly with IPA to remove any wax or polish residue

i would counter with sanding being necessary when doing pretty much any kind of laquer or urethane paint. unless you want to risk the repair spot popping out with a blast of water. then sanding the spot could only help not hurt.

allenk4
08-17-2014, 07:19 PM
i would counter with sanding being necessary when doing pretty much any kind of laquer or urethane paint. unless you want to risk the repair spot popping out with a blast of water. then sanding the spot could only help not hurt.

Never heard of this phenomenon
occurring with chip repairs.