PDA

View Full Version : BMW Fake wood trim. How to polish ?

Largebore
08-05-2007, 08:25 PM
My 06 325i has the wood looking trim in the dash and the center console. I am not sure if it is plastic or metal. But it is very scratched up and has swirl like marks on it.

What is the best way to make it look good ?

D
08-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Plexus or DP Plex All

Thejoyofdriving
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
My 06 325i has the wood looking trim in the dash and the center console. I am not sure if it is plastic or metal. But it is very scratched up and has swirl like marks on it.

Well if you are talking about the same stuff I have on my BMW than I would use a plastic polish 3m makes some plastic polish , they also make some multi purpose polishes that would work to, also Menzerna makes some to I think. Mine has a sort of a clear coat on it. looks pretty thick. I tried to polish mine with menzerna IP by hand but it was taking too long, so I decieded to hit it with my DA, I made a big diffrence but there were still swirls that did not get taken out, its really hard to polish it with a buffer, and you risk staining trim if you dont tape well. By hand is the only real practical way to do this IMO, you need some pretty agressive stuff, IP wasnt agressive enough, the plastic coating on my car has similar hardness to clear coat, but its harder to polish out.

MikeyC
08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I like to use an AIO or cleaner wax type product on wood interior trim. This way you are polishing and protecting at the same time. I've used Meguiar's #6 and Optimum Poli-Seal in the past with great success.

supercharged
08-06-2007, 01:28 AM

Believe it or not, but I use Souveran paste...

Largebore
08-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Souveran or any other wax may make it shine but it is the scratches and stuff that needs the work. BTW... what is that trim made of? I know it is not wood but cannot tell if it is all plastic or a coated metal.

TOGWT
08-06-2007, 02:33 AM
The wood trim in most vehicles (some Mercedes Benz and Lexus model’s use real wood) is protected with a urethane clear coat, polyurethane or a thin lacquer, which is very easily scratched. Remove scratches with a fine polish (QUIXX Repair System - http://www.quixx.com/english/kratzer.htm) clean /protect with a chemical cleaner (Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-AIO) and then buff with a clean 100% cotton towel

Note- If your finger nail catches in the scratch then it’s too deep to remove

Maintenance- use an anti-static plastic cleaner (BTI™ Chemicals Plexus Plastic Polish & Cleaner) and lightly spray a damp towel and apply 303 Space Protectant for UVR protection