PDA

View Full Version : Stupid wheel wash question for the pros

RottenII
08-16-2014, 08:18 AM
When I detail/wash my car I start with the wheels. Open spoke design exposing the rotors. My dilemma is if using a hose to rinse all the crud out, by the time I'm done you have a nice rust "flash" on the rotors. One trip around the block cleans the rust off and deposits it right back on your "clean" wheels. How do you pro detailers deal with this when you do a customers car? I hate the thought of just wiping the new "dust" off with a towel as you are just dragging metal particles over the wheels surface. Do you do a final "rinseless" wash?

Setec Astronomy
08-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I don't know, I never really notice the "rust dust" on my clean wheels. You could use this stuff: Hyde’s Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Genuine Finish
08-16-2014, 09:38 AM
are you using de-ionized water when you are washing?

RottenII
08-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Just standard out of the hose water.

sahrcar
08-16-2014, 11:13 AM
My shop vac has a blower feature on it. I would recommend using some sort of compressed air to blow dry these areas after washing to prevent the rust flash as you call it. Electric leaf blowers will work too just dont use the gasoline ones as they will blow gas fumes onto your vehicle causing more in depth cleaning to occur.

jamesboyy
08-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Plus one on Setec Astronomy post

RottenII
08-16-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't know, I never really notice the "rust dust" on my clean wheels. You could use this stuff: Hyde’s Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

I'll have to give this a try. I don't have compressed air at the moment but one of these days I'll have to pick up a compressor. Thanks for the suggestions.

Genuine Finish
08-18-2014, 09:16 AM
When I detail/wash my car I start with the wheels. Open spoke design exposing the rotors. My dilemma is if using a hose to rinse all the crud out, by the time I'm done you have a nice rust "flash" on the rotors. One trip around the block cleans the rust off and deposits it right back on your "clean" wheels. How do you pro detailers deal with this when you do a customers car? I hate the thought of just wiping the new "dust" off with a towel as you are just dragging metal particles over the wheels surface. Do you do a final "rinseless" wash?

in my experience, when the water you are using has lots of impurities, it will cause top layer surface rust on the rotors. brake rotors are made of iron so with any type of moisture touching them they will rust easily on the surface layer. i use de-ionized water when i wash and never get any rusting when my water is pure!!!:xyxthumbs:

wdmaccord
08-18-2014, 09:46 AM
On my personal vehicle after a wash, I notice dripping rusty water into the barrels usually about 30 minutes after I have finished. I keep an eye out for when it starts and then use a spray bottle with filtered water to spray (in "stream" mode) the rusty water out to the back of the barrels. I don't seem to notice it on details but that is probably because the car gets parked for 24-48 hours after the wash is finished.

07gtcs
08-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Drive it up and down the street, then use a Waterless wash on the wheels.

Detailing by M
08-20-2014, 06:41 PM
wax your rims and things wont stick to them.
After washing just drive it a few feet in the driveway and then blow them off.
I do this all the time when the rotors are in my pics