PDA

View Full Version : XMT or Menzerna for Hard Clear? 370Z

140BPM
08-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Been using XMT products for a while now and they work great on most vehicles, but I'm having a tough time removing defects on an 09 Nissan 370z. Vehicle has the under hood sticker stating "Hard Clear Coat." Any idea exactly how hard this is? I can't imagine it's that tough because almost any contaminant will etch into it within hours...

Anyway, I'm using XMT swirl #3 with orange pad to fix a noticeable deep swirl in the clear where it looks like someone used a dirty towel to do a quick detail. The XMT removed about 75% of the defects after 3 passes, but I can't seem to get it much better.

So, thinking of switching to Menzerna (heard great things about their products) meant for harder clear coats. Can anyone offer advice on a 2 products that would be similar to the XMT swirl #3 and #1 product? It seems the Menzerna Intro Kit is geared towards normal paint, not ceramic. Basically need recommendation for a hard clear intro kit from Menzerna.

Note: I'm only assuming this has a hard ceramic clear based on the underhood sticker. Can't find any other solid proof online at the moment. Please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect!!!

allenk4
08-15-2014, 11:20 AM
This might help:

UPDATED: Autopia Car Care Polish Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/38719-updated-autopia-car-care-polish-comparison-chart.html)

XMT is shown on the chart as having a cut level of 6 of 10.

Now that Todd Helme us no longer with Autopia, I wonder if Mike Phillips will take the lead on updating this aggressiveness chart? I have found it useful...in combination with a Test Spot.

140BPM
08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
That's a handy chart, thanks! Looks like I may try the PO83 next in place of the XMT #3 based on the chart. Perhaps try replacing the XMT #1 with the Menzerna Nano Polish as recommended in the PO83 product description. Sound good?

Kamakaz1961
08-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Menzerna FG400 is IMO one of the best correcting polishes out there. I would highly recommend that to correct the swirls. That is all I use for correcting. As for a follow up after correcting, I use Menzerna SF4500.

This is just me and I would at least look into that combo

RevitalizeAutoSpa
08-15-2014, 01:45 PM
FG400 followed by SF4500 will likely be a winner for dark paint with a hard clear. That's my usual go to for anything that requires heavy correction. And I can vouch for the Nissans and Infinitis that have the "hard clear coat" label on the hood, they aren't lying.

140BPM
08-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Cool, 2 solid votes for FG400 then SF4500. And yes, this is dark paint - magnetic black '09 Nissan. Thanks for the input guys, will try this combo soon!

FASTFRED
08-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I would go with Menzerna polishes.

Hazcat
08-15-2014, 03:18 PM
FG400 and SF 4000 or 4500 are an incredible combination. If the paint is extremely hard you might think about using Rupes polishes since they are designed for the hard ceramic clear coats common to European cars. I still haven't run across anything that the Menzerna products couldn't or wouldn't tackle.

140BPM
08-15-2014, 03:22 PM
just noticed on the "agressiveness" chart linked above that the FG400 is shown as 10 of 10 on the scale. How much more risk is involved when using FG400 compared to SI1500? I'm just an amateur with an entry level porter cable... this is why I was initially thinking about the SI1500 since it is still more agressive than XMT but doesn't seem any more dangerous at the same time.

Also, would you recommend use with an orange or yellow CCS pad?

140BPM
07-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Old thread, but wanted to post an update... I took the advice of the majority of the replies and went with the menzerna line. FG400, SI1500, SF4500. Couldn't be happier. So much quicker with better results than the XMT line. Even used this on an older Jeep that had conventional clear with amazing results. I see why so many of you recommended these now!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Kamakaz1961
07-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Old thread, but wanted to post an update... I took the advice of the majority of the replies and went with the menzerna line. FG400, SI1500, SF4500. Couldn't be happier. So much quicker with better results than the XMT line. Even used this on an older Jeep that had conventional clear with amazing results. I see why so many of you recommended these now!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Way cool!! I am a Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 guy!!...LOL Great to see that everything worked out!!

:dblthumb2:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-14-2015, 01:56 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

I too love Menzerna.

KBsToy
07-14-2015, 04:33 AM
I used to be a XMT guy myself but I have went over to Menerza and could not be happier. I just did my wife's E350 and it turned out perfect. Like they say happy wife happy life :)