PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to remove dealer advertising emblems?

05RLS2
08-15-2014, 12:26 AM
My new car was transferred from another dealer that already applied their dealer advertising to the trunk. It's a plastic badge with double sided adhesive tape. I want to take this off, since it looks tacky and I'm not getting paid to advertise a dealer. What is the best way to remove this badge without damaging the finish in any way? What product should I use to remove the left over adhesive?

harrell51
08-15-2014, 01:00 AM
Dental floss works really good then goo gone to remove the residue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AG Online

rotzilla
08-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Dental floss or standard fishing line. Then clean up the after mess.

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Those plastic ones I can usually get my fingers under the edges and I just pull them off. If you're lucky it hasn't been on there too long and half the tape come off with the badge. As noted Goo Gone, 3M adhesive remover, Tarminator, etc.

Mike Phillips
08-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Use a normal Hair Blow Dryer to gently heat up the emblem while at the same time prying on it with something also gentle to the paint.

I have plastic razor blades that I use and AG sells them I also have Bondo spreaders, they are large and flat with a sharp edge that can slice in-between the emblem and the paint.

A credit card would probably work.

As you heat up the emblem pry SLOWLY on the emblem and it will lift right off.

The act of constant, light pressure plus a little heat will cause the adhesive to give and the emblem will separate off the paint. Just take your time.

Then get some type of citrus solvent like Goo-Gone or some such product and using a clean microfiber towel or foam applicator pad softly wipe the residue off. I use Xenit as we sell it and it works great.

Here's a tip...

Dampen whatever material it is you're using with your solvent and then hold it against the sticky residue so the solvent can soak in and soften the residue. Then wipe.

If you just try to wipe you'll struggle.

The key is to let the solvent penetrate and emulsify the adhesive and then it will wipe off easily and you won't struggle and thus scratch your paint.

:)

BillE
08-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Hopefully 'they' won't put another one back on in its' place if you go in for service!

Yea, it does happen...don't ask (LOL).

Bill

Audiman
08-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Agree with Mike, I've used heat and plastic razor blades.

Black Bowtie
08-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Fishing Line and 3M adhesive remover. Debadge all my trucks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8GKASC5AU]How to debadge a car (easy) - YouTube[/video]

I don't bother with the hairdryer.

05RLS2
08-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone. I have some Goo Gone around the house, and I went ahead and got some of the 3M adhesive remover. 3M is defiantly proud of that stuff. I paid $20 for a metal container of it from Napa.

I going to get a quick wash done on the car and try to get the dealer badge off. It's supposed to rain the entire first half of next week, so it's not going to be able to get a full detail until maybe next weekend.

Hopefully 'they' won't put another one back on in its' place if you go in for service!

Yea, it does happen...don't ask (LOL).

Bill
I don't plan on taking it in to the dealer for service. I'll take care of all that. But, yeah, I could see some dealers trying to pull a move like that.

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I could see some dealers trying to pull a move like that.

Yup, I've seen them do it...unbelievable.