PDA

View Full Version : First undertaking... results better than expected!

Contact40
08-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, noob here! I've been poking around for a week or so, this is a really nice forum, and the fanboy mindset seems to be at a minimum which is great!!

So a few weeks ago I picked up a new Fusion, and have been spending a lot of time cleaning it up and getting some protection on it. I decided to get serious about it, and in the meantime remembered that we have another car in the household that needed some TLC as well. The other car in question is a 2008 Saturn Vue that has never been cleaned other than by automatic car washes (it's the woman's car...lol).

I decided if I was going to get serious about taking care of the cars, I needed some good equipment. So I picked up the Porter Cable, a 7 pack of hex logic pads, and with that along with the product I already had on hand, I went to work on the Saturn. I figured if I messed up a finish, I would rather it be the older car than the new one. LoL

Before:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10405599_10152350465391156_2221331016276797093_n.j pg

This tree sap had been in place over 2 years:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2hgva1e.jpg

Swirl Marks:
http://i60.tinypic.com/35jfg3d.jpg

Swirl Marks and Sap result:
http://i60.tinypic.com/nwj6z6.jpg

After:
http://i59.tinypic.com/v79hxi.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2sj89.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/xm08q1.jpg

I didn't get everything out that I wanted, but it looks 100x better than it did. I'm not sure if the remaining scratches were the result of the product I had on hand, using the incorrect pads for the job or a combination of the two. I've bought all my product off the shelf of the local parts stores, so I know that stuff is usually designed for the masses, not for specialty use. Which I am okay with, there is a reason a random person can't walk in to the local CVS and buy Morphine, just like a novice car guy shouldn't be able to walk in to an auto parts store and buy a compound that can remove the paint in 30 seconds.

I only had limited off the shelf product on hand. The product I used was:
Meguiars Deep Crystal Car wash
3M Adhesive Remover (For the tree sap...Worked great!!)
PC7424XP with 5inch BP
Meguiars Ultimate Compound with Hex Logic Yellow (heavy cut) Pad
Meguiars Ultimate Polish with Green (Heavy Polish) Pad
Meguiars Black Wax with Black (Finishing) Pad

It's amazing how much less product you use when you are applying it with a machine. Now I know why my buddy (who details professionally) looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I used almost half a bottle of Megs Ultimate Wax putting only 2 coats on my Fusion by hand. It went on so thin I just couldn't see it and felt like I wasn't getting good coverage.

Sidenote, I always thought that the idea of a polish was a bit of a gimmick. I mean if it's clear-coat and it's already shiny, what's to polish, right? Well, upon the advice of a friend of mine I decided to take the time to polish the paint as well, and with my camera, I was able to get a good before polish/after polish in one photo. In this photo, you see the drivers side front and rear door. The front door has been polished, while the rear door has only been compounded. You can see how much more crisp the reflections are with the polish. Make the photo larger to get the full effect.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2mopo4i.jpg

Now, Feed back please I would like a couple recommendations on a polish/compound that would be a bit more aggressive than the Meg's Ultimate Compound. Even using that with the yellow pad didn't make them go away like I expected. Or, maybe I'm off track with the compound issue, because I noticed that at least one of my (Parts store brand) microfiber towels was leaving fresh scratches in the surface. I am sure that at least some of the leftover scratches are from my towels. As soon as I noticed it, I washed all of my towels, but I think just to give me peace of mind I am going to buy all new...any recommendations on brands? I see a 24 pack of zwipes 12x16 on amazon for 12 bucks, and a 12 pack of Chemical Guys 16x16 Premium Microfiber for about 21 bucks. Anyone use either of those, or something else?

Autogeek, what say you? (be gentle!)

Thanks in advance for any feedback or recommendations!!

A2D Signature
08-14-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm not out of the noob zone yet so I won't recommend anything. However, you did an amazing job in that Vue! Kudos

Hazcat
08-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Welcome to AGO. Your car looks much better. I wouldn't try to hard to get the car perfect since it's a daily driver and remember what caused those swirls to begin with....so you (or she) doesn't repeat the brush type car wash. Otherwise all your hard work will be for naught. You were right on with your pads and products..nothing wrong with what you used. There's only so much clear coat you can polish and then it's all gone. The key now is proper washes and keeping the protection on throughout the year. A nice spray wax after each wash only take around 5 minutes to apply and keeps your car looking sharp year round.

When it comes to purchasing towels you can spend as much or as little as you want. There's a wide range of towels and purposes that have to be considered. Read up on the GSM of towels so you understand why some cost more than others. You'll get a lot of recommendations on towels so I'll just wait and watch with you. Great job on your wife's car...very nice transformation. It feels good doesn't it?

hernandez.art13
08-14-2014, 09:46 PM
I am thinking the scratches you are now seeing were probably already there and now you just notice them because you isolated the scratches/swirls. Also called RIDS.

This is somewhat normal to see for a car that has been heavily neglected. But good idea on the towels.

I'm not sure on the longevity of Meguiars black wax. I really like and would recommend Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax for over the counter waxes, if you decide to go pick up some wax. (Its a sealant btw) cheap and it will last you quite sometime if it's just for your personal vehicles.

You know (just an FYI) I'm sure your wife was extremely happy but you know that you just became her personal private Detailer. :D

What color pads and size did you go with for the PC? (Porter Cable)

Have you been looking online for other tools, pads, compounds/polishes/waxes/soaps/YouTube, etc....?

hernandez.art13
08-14-2014, 09:47 PM
And looks good! Congrats and props! :props:

custmsprty
08-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Nice work!

Contact40
08-14-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm not out of the noob zone yet so I won't recommend anything. However, you did an amazing job in that Vue! Kudos

Thanks!!

Welcome to AGO. Your car looks much better. I wouldn't try to hard to get the car perfect since it's a daily driver and remember what caused those swirls to begin with....so you (or she) doesn't repeat the brush type car wash. Otherwise all your hard work will be for naught....

It feels good doesn't it?

Indeed, it felt great. Earlier in the week we had record breaking rainfall in my area, and with it came record breaking flooding...lol So the week has been a trying mess, and let me tell you that sitting on a lawn chair in my driveway with a cold brew in my hand admiring the results was a great pick-me-up. I would dare say it almost therapeutic, especially knowing how neglected it had been for so long. And after spending the better part of the day using the machine (I think I still feel my arms vibrating lol) I told her that from now on automatic car washes = :nomore:

What is the general consensus around here for touch-less washes?

I am thinking the scratches you are now seeing were probably already there and now you just notice them because you isolated the scratches/swirls. Also called RIDS.

This is somewhat normal to see for a car that has been heavily neglected. But good idea on the towels.

I'm not sure on the longevity of Meguiars black wax. I really like and would recommend Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax for over the counter waxes, if you decide to go pick up some wax. (Its a sealant btw) cheap and it will last you quite sometime if it's just for your personal vehicles.

What color pads and size did you go with for the PC? (Porter Cable)

Have you been looking online for other tools, pads, compounds/polishes/waxes/soaps/YouTube, etc....?

That would make sense, the car was one big swirl mark, so since I got rid of most of them, only the heavy hitters still linger.

I guess I'll have to report back on the black wax. It seems to be a really good selling product. I watched several youtube videos and had a friend use it with great results. I bought the Black Wax for the Vue, and the White wax for the Fusion. The Meg's Ultimate liquid is supposed to be the same as the Ultimate paste, just obviously in a paste form instead of a liquid. It was very highly rated, and honestly it was probably going on fine, but the last time I used a wax, it was a thick carnuba wax, and I just was so used to the wax that would go on visible and haze up. Using a white applicator to put white wax on a white car left something to be desired with my perception of how much was going on. LoL I just couldn't see it, so I felt like I wasn't getting enough product. Perception = Reality, right?

I decided to buy the 5.5inch hex logic with a 5inch backing plate, the pads I used for each step are in the original post above. :)

Even if the black/white wax isn't as long lasting, now that I know how quick and easy I can throw a coat of wax on the the PC, it's no big deal if I have to do it every few weeks/months. The initial reviews I read on it said it was a durable wax, but I tend to be a little more skeptical as it seems to be marketed as an AIO. Maybe I will finish her car up with another coat of the ultimate liquid wax for protection.

wdmaccord
08-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Very nice transformation on that Vue!

Contact40
08-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Nice work!

Very nice transformation on that Vue!

Thanks guys, it was well worth investing my day off. The wife was very please with the results. Maybe she'll get off my case about wanting a new car now (since I just got one!) :D

dcjredline
08-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Thats lookin GREAT for a first timer!! Congrats

Contact40
08-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks redline!