PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Chamois with ONR?

fellipe
08-14-2014, 01:30 PM
It seems using a synthetic chamois drying towel (such as Absorber) is a big no-no when using ONR. Is this nitpicking or it does make sense?

cleanmycorolla
08-14-2014, 01:55 PM
huh?

fellipe
08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I've read from different users that using Synthetic Chamois with onr can scratch the paint...

VISITOR
08-14-2014, 02:09 PM
the reason why you wouldn't want to use an absorber is because it has no nap so if there's any contamination on it, you will potentially risk scratching the paint when wiping. use a quality mf towel (which has a deep pile/nap), you can't go wrong with it...

p.s. if you blot dry with an absorber and frequently monitor it as you dry, then it shouldn't be much of a problem...

fellipe
08-14-2014, 02:33 PM
the reason why you wouldn't want to use an absorber is because it has no nap so if there's any contamination on it, you will potentially risk scratching the paint when wiping. use a quality mf towel (which has a deep pile/nap), you can't go wrong with it...

p.s. if you blot dry with an absorber and frequently monitor it as you dry, then it shouldn't be much of a problem...

Oh really? Is it unsafe then? :( I was very excited to use synthetic chamois.

Hazcat
08-14-2014, 03:25 PM
As above...if you have to use a synthetic chamois blot the majority then wipe it with a nice MF towel.

Desertnate
08-15-2014, 07:39 AM
I've used an Absorber for years for drying. One of my current cars is black, and I've never seen any issues when using it.

I think the key is knowing when to use it. When doing a rinseless wash with ONR or any other rinseless wash product product, the absorber is the last product I could think of using. As mentioned there is no where for the dirt and contaminates to go.

When drying a car after doing a traditional hose wash, I've found an Absorber to be pretty effective. I always sheet the water over the surfaces, so there isn't much to wipe or dab up. I'll also use it only on very clean surfaces to prevent any of the issues already mentioned.

FUNX650
08-15-2014, 08:57 AM
I've read from different users that using Synthetic Chamois with onr can scratch the paint...
No rinse/rinse-less car-washes:
-Aren't you spraying/wiping some kind of a solution on a dirty vehicle...and then DRYING it off...
-Essentially rubbing wet dirt particles around on the paint/(into the paint)?!?!

•IMHO:
-No "polymer" is going to totally suspend everything iota of soils/contaminates away, and from, vehicles' surfaces.

•There is the good chance that microfiber towels will pick up more of whatever soils/contaminates---that have been suspended---than say: an Absorber may.
-But most microfiber towels are being made from "plastics": These, too, can and will 'mar' on their own accord.

•When all is said and done...
-I would think that common-sense is the best tool to use during any type of car-wash session.

Bob

allenk4
08-15-2014, 10:50 AM
As above...if you have to use a synthetic chamois blot the majority then wipe it with a nice MF towel.

That makes no sense to me.

Blotting would add an unnecessary step in my process.