PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Use from Novices/Newbies

ScottB
08-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Alot of the time I am asked to discuss the rotaries benefits and detractions. I do so based upon the professional versus the hobbist. Why ?? Because practice makes perfect and a hobbist using once a year on own car is not likely the best candidate for circular cutting.

So for any novice or hobbist that chose to upgrade to rotary, please tell what went right and what went wrong. Do you still use machine ?? Did you damage or cut the paint ?? Again not really looking for professional detailers here as youve advanced, but those inexperienced with true first time use.

Nica
08-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Well I think I fit your description killr as I'm still learning the rotary.

Well when I first started using the rotary, the rotary was hopping around and I felt I was fighting with it to make it go the direction I wanted it to go. I did the hood of my old Jeep and that was the first experiance I had with the rotary. Now the hood went well but there was one part that the edge of the pad caught an edge of the hood. Only took seconds and it didn't burn through the paint but you can see a faint mark where the paint is now thin. I didn't know then but at all edges of panels the paint is thin compared to regular flat areas so the edge of the pad and speed of the rotary brough it down even more. Like I said I did't burn through it but you can see a dark smudge.

Since then I've been very and I mean very cautious with the rotary and the edges of the panels of the vehicle. The thing with the rotary is that you have to keep your attention on what the rotary is doing. Not like the PC (for example) that you can just let go and polish away and this is only my experiance but I found my self a little bored sitting at the same panel for minutes.

Here is a picutre of what I'm talking about, see that dark line...that's what I'm talking about.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/Jeep/DSC00998.jpg

blkexcoupe
08-05-2007, 11:16 AM
I used a rotary for the first time a few weeks ago because I was working on a heavily swirled car and my UDM wasn't doing enough. It was my first time using the UDM for a detail, and I ended up finishing the job with a rotary because it was so much faster. I'll continue to use the machine in the future to practice and get better.

The good part of my first time using it was that it corrected so much faster with little vibration. The bad side was that I left a lot of holograms on the paint after the first pass, but my friend said the yellow cutting pad I was using probably helped that. I had to step it down from yellow-orange-white to correct all the buffer marks I left behind. I ran menzerna too dry in a few spots and that contributed to the holograms on the paint. I probably ended up wasting more product then I should have that day, but the end result was well worth it.

I'll be looking into making a rotary purchase after my friend ask for his rotary back, but until then I'll wait. :p

trhland
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
from what ive heard is the a rotory will make polishing much faster and do a nice job but it will leave some buffer swirls/ halograms. then you have to follow up with a p/c. just going on what i have heard from some pro detailers.

Rey05
08-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I started using a rotary because when I first attempted to take out the corrections it took forever and it didn't get everything out. I just used the rotary on my wifes new jetta, pics will be posted later, and got awesome results. Just had one problem when I bumped the door handle hard and removed a little bit of paint. Other than that it went flawless. I agree with nica that you concentrate more with it than you would with a PC. I will definately keep using the rotart because of how fast it works.

Rey05
08-05-2007, 12:19 PM
from what ive heard is the a rotory will make polishing much faster and do a nice job but it will leave some buffer swirls/ halograms. then you have to follow up with a p/c. just going on what i have heard from some pro detailers.

I've used the rotary on 2 cars and haven't had trails or holograms. I just hit it at 1500 then follow up with a pass at 900. That seems to get anything out that may have been caused by the faster speed.

trhland
08-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I've used the rotary on 2 cars and haven't had trails or holograms. I just hit it at 1500 then follow up with a pass at 900. That seems to get anything out that may have been caused by the faster speed.oh ok maybe i was miss informed. maybe the guy that told me just sucks at useing it:D

greg'sgoat
08-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I am a hobbiest, and will pick up details on the side for extra money. I picked up the rotary to get through some paint a lot quicker. I also picked up an extra hood that was black. I practiced on that and moved onto my own car two weeks ago. It did cut much faster, but I did have some problems. I have not mastered it to the point of finishing 100%. I had some light holograming (black car) that I had to finish out with the PC. I also found the 8" pads a little harder to control on anything more than a flat surface, and the 6" edge pads a little easier to control. I am sure with practive, I will get a little better.

Rey05
08-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I used the 8" wool pads last night and they were soooooo much smoother than the 6" foam. I probably won't use the foam much anymore unless the wool is dirty at the time.

D
08-05-2007, 01:46 PM
If you've using a 6" foam cutting pad then it needs to be a wave pad to keep it from hoping, unless its CCS. You NEED to tape everything off when using a rotary, especially door handles.

pt91
08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
I really like the edge 8" wool pads. They saved me a lot of time yesterday on a very oxidized red volvo.
Make sure you sure the new pads and even wash and dry them first or your garage will be covered in wool bunnies!
The wool pads are must easier to control than foam and run much cooler in my experience. Got to follow up wiith foam for a good finish.

blkexcoupe
08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
If you've using a 6" foam cutting pad then it needs to be a wave pad to keep it from hoping, unless its CCS. You NEED to tape everything off when using a rotary, especially door handles.

I noticed that when I was using a 6.5" flat cutting pad it was hoping everywhere, but when I switched to my ccs stuff it was a lot smoother.