PDA

View Full Version : Tools for windshield cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

detailing
08-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Hi guys,

I always have problems when trying to clean my car windows from the inside, especially the windshield. There are always some stripes and slides left, additionally I cant even reach the whole windscreen without straining. I’m currently using some glass cleaner and a microfibre but that doesn’t work well.

Do you know any tools or devices which I can use for cleaning my windows more easier?

Thanks!

frankprozzoly
08-13-2014, 05:49 AM
I bought one of those triangle shaped poles made from invisible glass. It's crap. I use duragloss wax spray for the outside inbetween waxes. I'm gonna start spraying that on a towel and wipe the inside Windows. It makes it slicker. Spraying on the towel keeps things neater.

It drives me crazy trying to get into the bottom crevice. Especially in the back where the rear window brake light is. Id have to take the plastic apart to clean there

CDot
08-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Microfiber Glass towels are a great tool to have. They clean glass way better than plain MF, paper towels, or newspaper. Use one to clean and another to buff dry.

I can't help with the straining thing though :(

wdmaccord
08-13-2014, 07:29 AM
One thing that has helped me with the windshield was reading some review somewhere to clean the whole thing from the passenger side. For one thing, it takes the steering wheel out of the equation. I still have to stretch to reach all the way to the driver's side edge, but it has helped the overall process. Clean half at a time so you can dry before the cleaner dried and streaks. Definitely 2nd using one window MF to clean and one to dry. If you see a lot of "dirt" on the drying towel, you might want to go to a 3 towel process: spray cleaner on first and wipe, spray cleaner on 2nd and wipe, dry with 3rd.

frankprozzoly
08-13-2014, 07:32 AM
I think you avoid having to buff if you spray cleaner on the towel. Larry from ammo nyc talked about cleaning from the passenger seat in one of his videos

wdmaccord
08-13-2014, 07:41 AM
I think you avoid having to buff if you spray cleaner on the towel. Larry from ammo nyc talked about cleaning from the passenger seat in one of his videos

I think that was the video I saw it in since I sat watched a ton of his videos one night.

I still do a final dry with a dry window MF, even though I spray the cleaner on the towel and not on the window. I'd rather take the extra 10-30 seconds to do it than to see streaks I missed when the customer picks up.

KBsToy
08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
I use the glass cleaning tool here on AG. I do use 2 micro-fiber cloths though. I have a CTS and the rear window is slanted and its a pain to clean. I just mist window when I clean it seems to much then it streaks and hard to get off. I tried those special glass cleaning cloths and all I got was lint when wiping down.

Keep me posted on your findings always ready to learn new ideas :xyxthumbs:

Skimmer0220
08-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Hi guys,

I always have problems when trying to clean my car windows from the inside, especially the windshield. There are always some stripes and slides left, additionally I cant even reach the whole windscreen without straining. I’m currently using some glass cleaner and a microfibre but that doesn’t work well.

Do you know any tools or devices which I can use for cleaning my windows more easier?

Thanks!

What glass cleaner are you using? If it's windex, yes it's a glass cleaner but it always leaves streaks, I'm currently using aquapel with a waffle weave glass towel

I also have dp glass cleaner and, don't make fun of me but it was given to me and works well, armor all glass cleaner

Bernard
08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
I always start my car and turn on the air cond. Then I'll go n applied tyre dressing. After the inside is cold. I just use a damp MF cloth to wipe the interior glass. The moist will evaporate or flash in seconds. Leaving a very clear n clean glass.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk 2

aim4squirrels
08-13-2014, 08:54 AM
I use stoners invisible glass and two glass specific microfiber towels to clean all my glass, interior and exterior. I have found that less is definitely more when using the stoners glass cleaner.

The towels I use have no nap, but one side is a hair more "plush" than the other. I spray the plush side, wipe glass thoroughly, flip towel to low pile side, wipe again, and follow with the dry plush sided second towel. I find the first towel works better as it accumulates a bit more product. The second towel insures any glass cleaner residue is removed, as the detergents in any product will collect dirt if left on the surface.

Interior glass can be a chore as vented gases and oils from the plastics and adhesives curing out actually sticks to the glass. This is especially true on newer cars. As time goes by and the maintenance is kept up, it gets much easier to maintain.

Get the cleaner completely off the surface and you'll be much happier.

Dr_Pain
08-13-2014, 09:08 AM
I've used ALL the glass cleaners and dedicated MF towels that AG sells, even used my expensive MF, and was never 100% happy. What did it for me was the Carpro Fast Glass followed by MFM Crazy pile. Not a streak even if I do it in the sun (with plain water on the Fast Glass).

allenk4
08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
+1 on FastGlass Towels

Grifffx4
08-13-2014, 11:35 AM
I use stoners on a MF glass towel and then wipe behind with a regular dry MF. That's takes the streaks away especially the quicker you get the dry MF wipe going.

detailing
08-14-2014, 04:52 AM
Thanks guys for all your replies.
I think I definitely have to try some different glass cleaners.
I also had a look on Amazon and found stuff like that: Amazon.com: Windshield Wonder Wiper (As Seen on TV): Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wonder-Wiper-As-Seen/dp/B007ZVLS3A/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408009872&sr=1-2&keywords=WINDSHIELD+WONDER)

Do you know whether such tools are helpful? Or do you know some better ones to reach the whole window more easily?

frankprozzoly
08-14-2014, 05:30 AM
I bought one made by invisible glass and it's crap