PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help

kbfman
08-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I am new to this forum, and need some help. I tried searching my problem, but with so much info and limited time, I haven't found an answer.

Rubbing compound was used on a scratch on my car, and now that area is noticeably lighter than the rest of the car. The color is Atlantis Blue, the car is 1 1/2 years old, and has not been garaged. What, if anything, can I do to blend the area in? I also have a couple of other, minor scratches, under the door handles which look like they came from fingernails. What is the best way to deal with these? Any help that can be provided will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AeroCleanse
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
You need to follow up with a polish. Sonax Perfect Finish would be my personal choice.

It could also be that your whole car needs to be polished.

wdmaccord
08-12-2014, 05:26 PM
As Aero said, you need to polish. The compound left a haze which is normal, especially if it was rubbing compound (hoping you used the clear coat safe version). If you want something very user friendly, pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish (@ $10 each). Start with the polish and if the haze is still there, then go to the Ultimate Compound, then back to the polish if needed. Available at Target and some auto parts stores.

Door handle scratches: I have had good luck with Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. You can get it at Target and some auto parts stores as well.

allenk4
08-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Read this....and then add some close-up pictures to the post.

You will get great help that way.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/68135-how-photograph-capture-swirls-sun.html

hernandez.art13
08-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Hopefully it's just residue...,

post up pictures

hernandez.art13
08-12-2014, 08:07 PM
This is all I could find to your other question.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=B02hHvmu90g[/video]

Just be careful because you can burn through the paint by hand too.

kbfman
08-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. Looks like a trip to Target is in my future.