PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Damage

glh17
08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Rubbed against a curb and slightly damaged a wheel on my Altima SV. I don't think the repair will be difficult but I'd like to know if anyone has advice. I posted a couple of pictures.

My primary question is how to find the color/type of touch up paint to use. I've seen some of the kits from scratchwizard.com, 123repair, and others. My wheels are the standard Altima silver metallic aluminum alloy. These kits have touchup paint but I'm not sure how well it matches.

By the way, I did check with my dealership and got the "I know nothing," Sgt. Schultz's reply.

My plan is to start with around 2000g wet/dry (may have to go down to 1000g-1500g) and follow with 3000g. Apply touchup, then start polishing with Meguiar's M105 polishing compound, Chemical Guy's V38 finishing polish, and Meguiar's M21 sealant. I don't think I'll need to do any filling, the scratches aren't deep and the area is about 2 inches long or so.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

parttimer
08-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Well I repaired some curb rash on my SRT wheels, if the aluminium is scratched your going to need to start in the 400g range. I worked up to 1000 and then used a sewn buff and white rouge to finish. But mine are un painted polished aluminium.

hawkigrad
08-12-2014, 10:48 PM
If you touch up the paint make sure to put clear over it then only wash with soap and water to lessen the chance of the paint coming off.