PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country Backing plate system question

Sunny_D
08-12-2014, 12:07 PM
So I just got the backing plate system for the flex just curious as to why the nut is a bigger size then the stock nut the stock Allen key doesn't fit it I wonder why they did that. Not a big problem I just don't want to buy a extra Allen key lol. Also I got 3 washers 1 regular small washer thick and 2 thin washers that are bigger what are those 2 for ? I love the plates I'm getting smaller pads soon 5" hybrid and the 6" fits my 7" megs pads perfect

Setec Astronomy
08-12-2014, 07:06 PM
My guess on the Allen key is that the OEM is metric and the LC one is inch?

allenk4
08-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Not sure what is going on.

Use the washer and screw that come with the system.

Here is the video from Lake Country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OV8sDEpEw

Sunny_D
08-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Not sure what is going on.

Use the washer and screw that come with the system.

Here is the video from Lake Country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OV8sDEpEw

Yep using the one that came with it but it takes a slightly bigger Allen key then the Allen key supplied with the flex the OEM bolt is smaller head

allenk4
08-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Yep using the one that came with it but it takes a slightly bigger Allen key then the Allen key supplied with the flex the OEM bolt is smaller head

I'm sure Mike P will chime in soon.

He has a direct line to the Folks at FLEX

Chris@AutoCleanse
08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
The 2 thinner ones are shims.

Sunny_D
08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
The 2 thinner ones are shims.
Thanks I found that out from another theard so they go on top of the gear plate before the backing plate correct

Chris@AutoCleanse
08-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks I found that out from another theard so they go on top of the gear plate before the backing plate correct

Correct, something to do with the plastic shrinking during cooling, so they came out with the shims for extra support I believe.

allenk4
08-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Correct, something to do with the plastic shrinking during cooling, so they came out with the shims for extra support I believe.

Why does LC ship these without printed directions?

What are the consequences of not installing the shims?

Ron Atchison
08-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Contact the folks at Lake Country and they will sort you out.
Lake Country Manufacturing - Wool And Foam Buffing & Polishing Products (http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/)

phone
262-367-8395

Danube
08-19-2014, 01:39 AM

Could someone from LC explain this, as there are 3 washers in the package. Obviosly the small one goes with the screw.

How about the other two, thanks.

Feed back please

xabo
08-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Could someone from LC explain this, as there are 3 washers in the package. Obviosly the small one goes with the screw.

How about the other two, thanks.

Feed back please

Try this: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/69978-lake-country-backing-plate-system.html

The Pad Man
08-19-2014, 10:10 AM
The thicker washer goes under the screw. The screw should be same as OEM (factory). The shims (thin washers) go between 6" plate and geared plate. There was some shrinkage in the mold when these were made and the thin shims are used to make up the difference.

expdetailing
09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
So I just got the backing plate system for the flex just curious as to why the nut is a bigger size then the stock nut the stock Allen key doesn't fit it I wonder why they did that. Not a big problem I just don't want to buy a extra Allen key lol. Also I got 3 washers 1 regular small washer thick and 2 thin washers that are bigger what are those 2 for ? I love the plates I'm getting smaller pads soon 5" hybrid and the 6" fits my 7" megs pads perfect

My guess as to why the two allen head screws require different sized allen wrenches is so that the consumer does not use the incorrect screw with whatever backing plate they are using.