Chemical guys citrus wash +gloss
Chemical guys honeydew snowfoam
Chemical guys microfiber mitt
Chemical guys premium wash mitt
Miracle Dryer Absorber Premium Microfiber Towel, 25" x 36"
Chemical guys foam blaster 6 foam gun
Stoners invisible glass
2 buckets with grit guards
And here is my tech that ive been using so far.
Fill the foam gun with the chemical guys citrus was/water (what dillution should i be using? i use just enough to make the bottom yellow)
Fill up my two buckets, one for rinse one for wash, with this i usually use about a cap full of soap (gallon container) to the 5 gallons of water.
I start off by hitting the car with a nice rinse from the hose, followed by the attachment of the foam gun. I then continue to foam up the entire car until my foam gun is empty. let it sit for about 5 minutes then i rinse it off.
Once this is all rinsed off i start my hand wash using the microfiber mitt, i wash panel by panel, upper half of the car only not applying much pressure at all, rinsing and getting new soap consistently. I then use the premium wash mitt on the lower half side of the car. (by the time im done with the car the other side of the car has almost dried, and this was before the sun even came out in the moring the other day. i live in southern california btw :() now once im done with this i grab the hose again and rinse it all off with a decent ammount of pressure. Once done with this and all soap is removed i then well at least try to sheet the water on the car im still learning though.
Finally i take my microfiber towel, fold it up, and use each side accordingly.
So far this ismy maintenance wash technique, please let me know if you have any advice or anything i should change let me know.
I also have a couple questions, the microfiber mitt is it any good? i notice it does not seem to foam up the car much when i use it but the premium mitt does quite a bit.
Where i live we have the HARDEST water out of anywhere ive ever been, let anything dry at all instant white spots, full of calcium.

I worry about leaving waterspots on the paint because after i dryed and all said and done, it looked good in the sun but once it got a little less light outside i could notice all of the waterspots, (they look old) what can i do about this?

Also what other products should i add to my collection?

Should i be using this microfiber mitt as it doesnt make many suds?

I Want to do a full polish, seal, and wax here soon and need advice on where i should start with that as well

phens82
08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
So here is my supply list that i have so far, and am looking to add more
Chemical guys citrus wash +gloss
Chemical guys honeydew snowfoam
Chemical guys microfiber mitt
Chemical guys premium wash mitt
Miracle Dryer Absorber Premium Microfiber Towel, 25" x 36"
Chemical guys foam blaster 6 foam gun
Stoners invisible glass
2 buckets with grit guards
And here is my tech that ive been using so far.
Fill the foam gun with the chemical guys citrus was/water (what dillution should i be using? i use just enough to make the bottom yellow)
Fill up my two buckets, one for rinse one for wash, with this i usually use about a cap full of soap (gallon container) to the 5 gallons of water.
I start off by hitting the car with a nice rinse from the hose, followed by the attachment of the foam gun. I then continue to foam up the entire car until my foam gun is empty. let it sit for about 5 minutes then i rinse it off.
Once this is all rinsed off i start my hand wash using the microfiber mitt, i wash panel by panel, upper half of the car only not applying much pressure at all, rinsing and getting new soap consistently. I then use the premium wash mitt on the lower half side of the car. (by the time im done with the car the other side of the car has almost dried, and this was before the sun even came out in the moring the other day. i live in southern california btw :() now once im done with this i grab the hose again and rinse it all off with a decent ammount of pressure. Once done with this and all soap is removed i then well at least try to sheet the water on the car im still learning though.
Finally i take my microfiber towel, fold it up, and use each side accordingly.
So far this ismy maintenance wash technique, please let me know if you have any advice or anything i should change let me know.
I also have a couple questions, the microfiber mitt is it any good? i notice it does not seem to foam up the car much when i use it but the premium mitt does quite a bit.
Where i live we have the HARDEST water out of anywhere ive ever been, let anything dry at all instant white spots, full of calcium.

I worry about leaving waterspots on the paint because after i dryed and all said and done, it looked good in the sun but once it got a little less light outside i could notice all of the waterspots, (they look old) what can i do about this?

Also what other products should i add to my collection?

Should i be using this microfiber mitt as it doesnt make many suds?

I Want to do a full polish, seal, and wax here soon and need advice on where i should start with that as well

Since you stated this is for a maintenance wash, I have a suggestion: Optimum No Rinse (ONR) or Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax (ONRWW) using a "rinseless" method. You can find videos on YouTube showing the rinseless wash method - there's a ~10 minute one by Garry Dean; when you watch it just imagine using the ONR or ONRWW rather than the "juice" he is pitching.

Based on the hardness of your water, you could even use 2 gals of distilled water rather than any local/hard water in your bucket.

I have only done the rinseless wash a few times, but I've liked it so far. It's unusual to wash a car without "bubbles / foam" when you're used to it, but according to some of the guys on this forum, the bubbles / foam are more fun than function. Lubricity is key - foam or not - and ONR apparently has enough to prevent you from scratching your paint.

I can't help you too much with existing defects in your paint system (old waterspots you mentioned) or to help you prep for compound/polish, as I'm also new to the advanced car care world. You can find some good content by Mike Philips on waterspot removal, and also some posts by other forum users who swear by various hard-water removal products (Spotless comes to mind).

Hope this helps.

cleanmycorolla
08-12-2014, 01:32 PM
This is for a maintenance wash??? yeah you don't have to do all of that, do a rinseless and be done!

Also you ask about your mitt, but don't see you stating which one it even is....

but yeah thats too much for a maintenance wash

VP Mark
08-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Wow. I would never wash my car again if I had to do all that every time. Get some ONR and be done in 15 minutes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

glh17
08-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with hard water. I just try to get the stuff off before it dries. I recently added an electric leaf blower (180/240 mph, 385 cfm) to my washing routine and it seems to be working fine. Not sure how much it speeds things up but it does a pretty good job getting the vast majority of water off without having to use a cloth. Still have to do touch up with a cloth though. I also follow with a light coat of quick wax most of the time.

The combination of getting water off before it dries and the quick wax minimizes water spots, but probably the biggest thing is to wash in a cool, shady area. It's hard to find cool in my area this time of year but I wait until the sun is on the side of my house away from the side I wash on.

Something else I use that you didn't mention was a tire/wheel brush. I have a bristle and a microfiber cone for hard to reach places.

cleanmycorolla
08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with hard water. I just try to get the stuff off before it dries. I recently added an electric leaf blower (180/240 mph, 385 cfm) to my washing routine and it seems to be working fine. Not sure how much it speeds things up but it does a pretty good job getting the vast majority of water off without having to use a cloth. Still have to do touch up with a cloth though. I also follow with a light coat of quick wax most of the time.

The combination of getting water off before it dries and the quick wax minimizes water spots, but probably the biggest thing is to wash in a cool, shady area. It's hard to find cool in my area this time of year but I wait until the sun is on the side of my house away from the side I wash on.

Something else I use that you didn't mention was a tire/wheel brush. I have a bristle and a microfiber cone for hard to reach places.

You could do a rinse less wash with distilled water and never worry about those things again!

RacerX323
08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm a recent ONRWW convert and it's the best thing since sliced bread! Rinseless washing is awesome.

glh17
08-12-2014, 02:59 PM
You could do a rinse less wash with distilled water and never worry about those things again!

I'm going to try youtube and google but can you explain (or tell me where to get info) on this technique. I don't want to sound too stupid, but I'm not familiar with it. I understand the distilled water but not the rinse less wash.

P.S. Never mind. I just found something on this website about it. If I have questions I'll post. Thanks

smidge
08-12-2014, 06:05 PM
wow , i never had any idea that so many of you were this fond of the rinse-less wash. as i have never been a fan myself, nor did i really look into it. Is there anyone that uses this method for a weekly maintenance wash?

cleanmycorolla
08-12-2014, 06:41 PM
wow , i never had any idea that so many of you were this fond of the rinse-less wash. as i have never been a fan myself, nor did i really look into it. Is there anyone that uses this method for a weekly maintenance wash?

I would think people refine their maintenance washes to be efficient and quick. Your method is quite a bit, but not bad, it's just what you do. :xyxthumbs: there's no right or wrong if you're enjoying it.

You should read up and try a Rinseless wash, it really might change your wash patterns.

Capn Blackie
08-12-2014, 06:48 PM
The guys are so right, rinseless wash for the win. If the car is just to dirty to start with a rinseless you can do a quick hose off or swing by a local touchless was or just use their wand wash to get off the big stuff.

I still do a full on 2 bucket when things are really dirty but the rinseless with some good MF and a good thick towel to dry and buff with is amazingly quick.

I hadn't heard about it either until i started reading around here and other detailing forums.

HD.Detailing
08-12-2014, 07:08 PM
rinseless wash is ok.. I get a better clean with Optimum and 2 buckets.

smidge
08-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Ok guys so i have a few more questions, what are your favorite interior detailers/cleaner? What is your process for detailing the inside of a car. Also how can i remove old water spots?

smidge
08-14-2014, 11:21 PM
so, also yesterday i was out showing a friend my car and i told my dog to go inside and well she decided to try and jump through the window on my hatch instead. wondering how i can get these scratches out?
http://i.imgur.com/dukc1NHl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DeWBobyl.jpg

glh17
08-16-2014, 12:28 AM

Just ordered some Pinnacle Liquid Crystal. Hopefully, the PLC and distilled water will save me some work. Thanks for the recommendation.