PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk window tint

Pages : [1] 2 3

05RLS2
08-12-2014, 12:00 AM
My new pearl white Maxima should be arriving this week, and the first thing I want to do is get the windows tinted. The car has black leather interior, and the car more than likely will not be parked much in the garage. So I want to protect the interior from the TN sun.

I intend on going with a 20% tint. I know that there are many different brands and types of film by looking at tint installer sites, so it's confusing to know which are good. I don't want to spend a fortune on window tint, but then again I don't want an $89 tint job where the tint will turn purple in 6 months.

I know that no tint is good with a poor install, but which window tint films should I look at getting installed for good quality?

VISITOR
08-12-2014, 03:39 AM
llumar tint is excellent quality and so is formula one which i have on my vehicle...

FormulaOne Automotive Window Film, Auto Tinting and Paint Protection Film (http://formulaone.com/en/Default.aspx)

wytstang
08-12-2014, 04:38 AM
llumar is what I went with on my ranger and the installer did a great job. You basically have 3 choices with llumar, their entry level tint, mid grade tint, and the high end tint. I went mid grade on my work truck and it does a great job rejecting heat and at 15% I have plenty of privacy (My main goal).

David Hayward
08-12-2014, 05:11 AM
From what I've been told ceramic is the best. I did it on my car 50 percent all around 75 on the windshield. On black leather it noticeably reduces heat in the car. Well worth it in my book.
As for brands I am not up to speed on this but years ago llumar was always the best and based on other responses that seems to still be the case.

EWtheDETAILER
08-12-2014, 07:24 AM
3M is the brand to go with! Llumar is good stuff, but from color and quality I think 3M has the market. 20% will be plenty dark, giving you good protection from UV rays and keeping your vehicle cooler.

CDot
08-12-2014, 09:37 AM
I have SunTek and it's been great for the last 7 years.

I'd make sure to check state regulations for tint/reflectivity before you do--just so you know what you're getting into. Also, there is an extra fee for passing inspection with tint unless the shop is nice enough to waive the fee.

05RLS2
08-12-2014, 06:20 PM
My brother has 3M in his car, but the installer did a poor job on it. The tint itself is good quality from what I've seen. I just wasn't for sure who are the leaders in tint at the moment. It's been about 15 years since I've had a car tinted.

I see that there are a lot of Llumar installers here, so I'll check with them and see. SunTek is another name. This is my first brand new car, so I want to put nice tint in it.:xyxthumbs:

I noticed that Llumar and Suntek have different kind of tint. Dyed, carbon, metallic, and ceramic. Which offers the better heat and tint fading resistance?

I have SunTek and it's been great for the last 7 years.

I'd make sure to check state regulations for tint/reflectivity before you do--just so you know what you're getting into. Also, there is an extra fee for passing inspection with tint unless the shop is nice enough to waive the fee.
35% is the legal limit in TN, but I'm planning to go 20%. The cops here don't hassle people over it, and we don't have vehicle inspections. I think the darker tint looks better, plus it should give a little better protection to the interior.

cleanmycorolla
08-12-2014, 07:32 PM
I went with 3M. I've always used their film and never had issues. Plus my installer is excellent!

Robbiek
08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
I went 5% which I really like no inspection here and cops don't care but the installer did not do a good job and I will not take it back there to make them fix. It after I saw them washing a Audi q7 I knew I should have gone some where else but oh well now I know. Which it was funny the guy ask me who detailed my car I told him I do and I keep like that all the time he gave a funny look and went on his way. I guess that's not much help but next time I'll do my research before I go

oldmodman
08-13-2014, 07:00 PM
I have always been happy with 3M Metallic tints. They never seem to fade, bubble, or peel.

They tend to run about twice the cost of the cheapo purpleish tints, at least here in Los Angeles.

05RLS2
08-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I called a shop today that does Llumar tint to get a price. The guy said that the tint is not dyed, I believe he said that it was ceramic like (I've never heard of that before). He said that this kind of tint doesn't come in 20%, but in actuality it's 18%. I'm going to have to see what it looks like just to make sure it's not too dark. Anyways, I was quoted $240. Is that a good price for this tint?

The last car I had tinted was over 10 years ago, and I think it cost me $110. But then again, it wasn't a higher quality film. It was a cheap dye film that turned purple a couple years later.

CDot
08-13-2014, 07:20 PM
35% is the legal limit in TN, but I'm planning to go 20%. The cops here don't hassle people over it, and we don't have vehicle inspections. I think the darker tint looks better, plus it should give a little better protection to the interior.

If you can get away with 20% then go for it!

05RLS2
08-13-2014, 07:22 PM
If you can get away with 20% then go for it!
Trust me, I am going for the 20% range.:dblthumb2:

wytstang
08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
2% difference is not noticeable at all, there is very little difference between 15% and 20%. That price is a good/fair price for (I'm assuming) 5 windows.

FUNX650
08-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Trust me, I am going for the 20% range.:dblthumb2:
FWIW...Just a heads-up:

•If you drive up to Ohio please drive the posted speed limits.
-The Ohio State Patrol has been enforcing the newest round of tint laws with a vengeance...even pulling over out-of-State vehicles. (20% is illegal up here)

•There are several reasons for this.
-(Such as one of Ohio's congressman getting caught and fined for illegal tint)
-But the main one is the I-75 drug pipeline.
That is: Dark Tint = Illegal Activities

•I'm sure you're not involved in drug trafficking.
-Still...No need to chance any pull-overs for speeding.

Bob