PDA

View Full Version : Serious Water Spots

Pages : [1] 2

Stevelsd
08-11-2014, 09:41 PM
I just washed my black Optima and even before I could dry it, water spots were scattered all over the car. I had a slight issue with this before but never like this now.

I have looked thru the posts but could not find a few answers to my questions.

Please someone help!!!

I washed the car at 3:00 PM today (Monday). I have tried some over the counter detail products that state they remove water spots but with no success at all. I also tried white vinegar\water 2 parts\1 part but also no success.

Do these water spots etch into the clear coat that fast or can I recover from this issue fast? I do have a buffer (PC) but have not purchased the pads to perform a buff job. Any suggestions are welcome.

:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks ahead of time
Steve

Kengo123
08-11-2014, 10:07 PM
If they're on there pretty fresh, they'll come off by machine polishing and the right polish pretty easily. Just use something with more cleaning than cutting. I've read that the meguiars waterspot remover that you can pick up OTC is pretty good

PaYnTwZRd
08-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Im the owner of a pearl black g6, ive had the worst problem with water spots in my town we have really bad water from a chemical spill years back.. anywho, i usually will try a little bit of alcohol or really diluted adhesive remover. But in those cases im always polishing afterwards.. a d.a. might get the job done pending on how long the minerals have been left to cure..
Detailing sprays usually "hide" the water spotting a little bit. Try an alternative drying method and some good ol claybar. Maybe dous the wax over the whole vehicle while its still wet. Then blot and shamois till dry.. i ALWAYS put some sort of spray wax on my vehicle directly after a wash.. regardless of whether the car soap contaims wax

StreetShotz
08-11-2014, 10:19 PM
I've found that clay bars can pull up water spots but it really depends what the spots are caused by.
If its mineral rich water then a clay bar will work but you will probably want to get some nice wax/sealant down after.

spence
08-11-2014, 11:33 PM
After washing, try Ultima's Waterless Wash Plus diluted 22 to 1 as a drying aid. Fine mist spray on the panel, let it sit for a minute, go over the panel with a damp waffle weave towel followed by a dry one. If the water spots have dried you may have to lightly wipe it with the damp towel several times. I use this as a drying aid when drying my car. On the plus side it seems to give the paint a little more liquid depth especially on my 2 black cars.

brondondolon
08-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Spotless by carpro. I can't recommend the product enough. I've use it on water spots so bad I thought I was going to need to wet sand. It's actually some impressive stuff that I think every hobbyist and professional should carry

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

AutowerxDetailing
08-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Spotless by carpro. I can't recommend the product enough. I've use it on water spots so bad I thought I was going to need to wet sand. It's actually some impressive stuff that I think every hobbyist and professional should carry

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

This ^^

Just used some today, as a matter of fact, on a black Audi that looked like it would consume the next 20 hours of my life. ONR wash and Spotless treatment removed nearly all the etched spots. It's pretty amazing how well this product works.

Stevelsd
08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone!!
I will keep you posted on the CarPro Spotless results :xyxthumbs:

Steve

brondondolon
08-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Here, I did a little write up on my method for very hard water spots.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81732-my-method-removing-very-difficult-spotless-nanoskin.html

allenk4
08-12-2014, 12:32 PM
You also need to address the cause of the water spots.

Were you washing in direct sun?

Were you keeping the vehicle wet the entire time while washing?

Do you have incredibly hard water?
Call your local Water Dept.

Stevelsd
08-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Yup, I cannot tell a lie. I was washing in direct straight sunlight. I had my wife literally spraying car off continuously as I washed it but that obviously just didn't work. :cry: I have actually sent a sample of my water to a place to analyze for free my water condition.

Now the good news. The CarPro Spotless worked!!!!! I did have to use a little elbow grease and go over it twice but one small section on the hood is now free and clear of water spots or any etching. I will work on the rest of the car this weekend.

Three remaining questions: Feed back please

1. Now that I look closer, the windshield glass and door glass also has water spots. CarPro states the product can remove any coating on the glass. How can one really tell if there is a coating? Doing this on a small sample spot might not give any indication?

2. Having to use some elbow grease (not a lot but..) I now notice some very light scratches\swirls from my micro fiber towel. The MF towel is 80% Polyester and 20% Polymide made by ProElite. Is that a "Not-So-Good" MF towel? Should one expect a little scratching from their MF towel?

3. Since I have these very light scratches\swirls in one 2'x2' section, does this mean buffing that area or is there a recommended polish\wax that will remove them?

Thanks everyone greatly!!!
Steve

allenk4
08-15-2014, 10:55 AM
The purpose of the CarPro Spotless is to remove WS without requiring a polishing step.

If you are getting marring, re-visit your tools and techniques. Follow the manufacturers directions to the letter. Dwell time is important in this process and it must be done in the shade.

Stevelsd
08-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks Allen!
Yup my towel is probably not the best quality so going to see if I can find one at a local supplier. My technique needs to be revisited as well. Performing in the garage with excellent light so the sun is not a factor.

Thanks again
Steve

chet31
08-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Switch to washing your car using a no-rinse method. Search on Optimum No-Rinse or ONR. I find it preferable to a conventional wash for many reasons. 1.) It eliminates spotting due to hard water (my biggest issue) a.) because you do the car in sections b.) you can use soft water from your house. 2.) It's faster. 3.) Since it uses minimal water, you can wash the car in your garage (i.e. out of the sun and/or in cold weather) - the water you spill will dry off the floor before you finish.

Dan K
08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
1. Now that I look closer, the windshield glass and door glass also has water spots. CarPro states the product can remove any coating on the glass. How can one really tell if there is a coating? Doing this on a small sample spot might not give any indication?

What they are referring to is removing a glass coating, sealant, or wax that has been applied to the glass by the vehicle owner. Spotless will not have an adverse effect on the glass itself. :xyxthumbs: