PDA

View Full Version : First attempt with PC7424...

VersaGuy
08-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Okay, so here goes... I have a 2014 Nissan Versa (Blue Onyx) and I would like to do a paint correction on her due to light scratches and a few watermarks from the dealership. I just bought a PC7424XP and have the following items:

Hex Logic 5.5" foam pads, 2 each in Orange, White, Black and Red
Optimum Opti Seal
Optimum GPS

I'm looking to buy the following items (or a pruned down list based on feedback from youse guys):

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze M105
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze M205
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze M7 Show Car glaze or M3 Machine Glaze
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze M26 Yellow Paste Wax and/or
Collinite 485 Insulator wax
Either Meguiar's M20 or M21 Sealants (differences?)

Also, been thinking of relacing the M205 with Optimum's Polish II and Finish Polish. Thoughts?

So, my thoughts are to do a wash, dry, clay, compound, polish, glaze, sealant and then wax. Is that overkill? lol Thanks in advance and I'm looking to hearing from all of you experts. :)

rms64
08-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a good plan - IMHO, if you're going to do all the work to compound and polish, then the glaze shouldn't really be necessary.

Good luck! :dblthumb2:

Eandras
08-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I cut the list down get the M105,M205 and the Collinite 845 to start and add a carnauba wax product so you will get the deep look.

The pads you have you should be fine. Do a test spot and decide if your process is good first.

Order product as you want to improve.

Ed

hernandez.art13
08-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I guess using a glaze could offer better looking correction if you weren't able to get the results you were after and not sure if the glaze would interfere with the longevity of the sealant, but IME you would be fine with

wash,
dry,
clay,

Prep!

compound,
polish,
sealant

I've never tried the waxes you mentioned. So if it were me I would just get some Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. (love that stuff)

I've also found that running the speed really low and light pressure in the polishing step works great on darker looking vehicles. After you did your cutting and swirl removing on the compounding step.

Finally, doing a test spot to dial in your process for the rest of the vehicle can be a huge time saver/headaches too and remember bumpers, spoilers, etc... can react differently to the rest of the metal painted parts of your car. (Might want to take that into consideration also)

hernandez.art13
08-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Also,
:postpics:

Art
:D

builthatch
08-11-2014, 08:52 PM
OP, get Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish. makes it easy. two items, no dust, long as heck working time, superior flexibility. they are expensive but they last a long time imo because of their extended working time. you can cut pretty much anything with an orange pad and Hyper Compound...and finish down really nicely with Hyper Polish nad a no cut pad...so imagine the flexibility in-between those two combos.

that's all you need imo.

Poli-Seal is a nice finish polish with protection, so, it's good you have that. also works great on glass if end up with light water spots from your wash water drying to fast, etc! only thing is, if you plan on getting into coatings down the line, i'd suggest Finish instead however you'd be a-ok with Hyper Polish and a no cut pad instead.

not a huge fan of GPS but some people love it.

VersaGuy
08-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Please forgive the long delay from me, but work has been killing me lately. lol I am thinking of getting the Opti Coat 2.0 to put on my car, but am a bit nervous about applying it. lol I really wanted to thank you all for the suggestions you've given, and I will definitely take the advice. I'll be sure to post a picture of my car here for you to see. It's a before picture after a wash, clay, and spray wax. :)

custmsprty
08-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Menz FG400 Wolfgang 3.o and done!

VersaGuy
08-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Here's a picture of my car. Isn't she a beauty? :)

builthatch
08-13-2014, 08:47 PM
i have to be honest -

i had a Versa rental a while back - it was like a midnight blue. the car was not that old but had a lot of wear damage.

however...the paint had a strange gloss to it, like...it was SUPER reflective. i was really surprised!

VersaGuy
08-15-2014, 05:49 PM
i have to be honest -

i had a Versa rental a while back - it was like a midnight blue. the car was not that old but had a lot of wear damage.

however...the paint had a strange gloss to it, like...it was SUPER reflective. i was really surprised!

I enjoy my little Versa. She's a good car, and she gets good gas mileage. With that being said, you can definitely notice she's an entry level car. :)