PDA

View Full Version : The 3 Bucket Method

KMdef9
08-11-2014, 03:20 PM
I, like I'm sure many of you, have a dedicated bucket for cleaning my wheels, wheel wells even underbody. This where we keep dedicated tools for those jobs only as well.

1. I'm curious what soap or soap mixture you guys are using.

Right now I've mixing a little APC with GC Pink. I've been thinking about doing an APC with ONR.

2. Anyone see any issue with mixing ONR and an APC? I read you can't/shouldn't mix ONR and soap (not that I'm looking to).

HD.Detailing
08-11-2014, 03:24 PM
onr and soap is not a problem.. especially with hard water

onr after APC spray is what I do for bugs

builthatch
08-11-2014, 03:28 PM
I always put an ounce of ONR in my bucket with my Optimum soap.

jamesboyy
08-11-2014, 05:18 PM
I uses a car soap that I find on sale like Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash or turtle wax orange car soap in my dedicated wheel bucket with apc in a spray bottle( to liberally spray the wheel first then use the soapy solution to clean the wheels)

FUNX650
08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
1. I've been thinking about doing an APC with ONR.

2. Anyone see any issue with mixing ONR and an APC? I read you can't/shouldn't mix ONR and soap (not that I'm looking to).
A former spokesperson/expert for Optimum products (he's now running his own Detailing Business) would recommend to use Optimum's APC: Power Clean (3:1 ratio)...as a pre-soak prior to the ONR wash...rather than mixing any APC "with" ONR.

BTW:
-Optimum's APC...Power Clean is paint safe.
-Nowadays: Detergents are more common than soaps,
in car-wash products' and APCs' formulations.

Bob

KMdef9
08-11-2014, 05:47 PM
A former spokesperson/expert for Optimum products (he's now running his own Detailing Business) would recommend to use Optimum's APC: Power Clean (3:1 ratio)...as a pre-soak prior to the ONR wash...rather than mixing any APC "with" ONR.

BTW:
Optimum's APC...Power Clean is paint safe.

Bob

I do soak the rim, tire and wheel prior with an APC. So am I wasting product in the bucket by putting APC in it? It seems like it helps clean off some of the brushes/woolies between wheels.

How much ONR with the soap should I use? 1/2 an ounce?

FUNX650
08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I do soak the rim, tire and wheel prior with an APC. So am I wasting product in the bucket by putting APC in it? It seems like it helps clean off some of the brushes/woolies between wheels.

Wellllll...
If it's been working out for you that way:
Why fix it, if it ain't broken?!?!

How much ONR with the soap should I use? 1/2 an ounce?
I've "adjusted" the ratio anywhere between 1/2oz-2oz per 5gal bucket. YMMV.

Bob

KMdef9
08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Why fix it, if it ain't broken?!?!

Touche.

On the otherside of the coin, I've never made a wheel bucket with out it, I should try just the pre-rinse with the APC and only use ONR and soap in the bucket.

Bunky
08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
I would just use OPC then "rinse" with pure ONR. This way you rinse better than a APC/ONR mixture.

FUNX650
08-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Touche.

On the otherside of the coin, I've never made a wheel bucket with out it, I should try just the pre-rinse with the APC and only use ONR and soap in the bucket.
I meant the: "why fix it...?"
in a good way.

Bob

KMdef9
08-11-2014, 06:23 PM
I would just use OPC then "rinse" with pure ONR. This way you rinse better than a APC/ONR mixture.

I do keep a Kwazar sprayer full of ONR at all times, lol. But my current method is to rinse with hose water after the wheel has been scrubbed/washed. I know the ONR would help with water spots/dry time. But...

The wheels do get alittle overpsray from the 2BM and foam gun. I've dried the rims off before I washed the rest of the vehicle in the past (and still do if it's really hot), but with the overspray it seems to be a waste of time to dry them. After I'm done washing the vehicle, I use a dedicated MF towel and AMMO Hydrate or QD to dry the wheels like the rest of the vehicle in complete shade.

KMdef9
08-11-2014, 06:23 PM
I meant the: "why fix it...?"
in a good way.

Bob

I know :)

I like to play with methods here and there. Trying not to make a chore of it. Just like trying new products.

builthatch
08-11-2014, 08:18 PM
whatever you do, DO NOT let OPC dry on the paint, even in diluted form. i'm not a huge fan of using it on paint en masse for this reason. i haven't found a real reason for it in that capacity however...i do use it for a lot of other things, like wheels/wells/brakes/exhaust tips, etc.

it will stain glass and paint if it starts to dry - nothing a little poli-seal or finish polish can't remove, but it's not worth it imo as here are safer methods out there to do whatever it is you are trying to do...unless you work in sections or something, then i'm a little more comfortable recommending it on paint.

DetailedByPrecision
08-11-2014, 08:24 PM
whatever you do, DO NOT let OPC dry on the paint, even in diluted form. i'm not a huge fan of using it on paint en masse for this reason. i haven't found a real reason for it in that capacity however...i do use it for a lot of other things, like wheels/wells/brakes/exhaust tips, etc.

it will stain glass and paint if it starts to dry - nothing a little poli-seal or finish polish can't remove, but it's not worth it imo as here are safer methods out there to do whatever it is you are trying to do...unless you work in sections or something, then i'm a little more comfortable recommending it on paint.

x2. Agreed with the above. I have tried using OPC at 4:1 before as a pre soak as a stand alone product and within minutes it dried and left a stain behind which require polishing. That was the first and last mistake using that product while during my trial and error phase with that particular product.

KMdef9
08-11-2014, 10:50 PM

I don't use it one the paint.