PDA

View Full Version : Windshield beading

Pages : [1] 2

lyodbraun
08-11-2014, 03:16 PM
So a few months ago I applied the car-pro flyby to my winshield and since then we hadn't had rain, well today it finally rains and I went out and about and noticed that just was not beading like it should, think big glob water beads..not moving at all like there's no type of product on it..well I thought I'd top it with the New reload mix and then backed out and see the results, still no beads like my hood w/reload.. So I ended up doing a quick polish to remove all the coating, then applied the old reload mix and it now beads nicely... Anyone have ideas why it did this ? Does the new 2014 reload not play well with other products ? Sorry for the long rant ... Any help would be great,

Also tried BSD on it with same results.. Before I polished...

FUNX650
08-11-2014, 03:44 PM
•Although there wasn't any rain for a few months; and if the vehicle has been driven quite regularly (DD?)...Then:

-The vehicle's windshield (and the FlyBy) has been bombarded, and is probably now imbedded with, a host of contaminates: Road film (oils, exhaust particulates, etc.), acid rain, dust and dirt-laden atmospheric air, etc.

-Be difficult for many windshield treatments to "hold up" (bead to your standards/properly?) under these circumstances...IMO.

Bob

Pureshine
08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Did you try claying the windows first?

Electro
08-11-2014, 06:42 PM
What was your process for prepping the windshield? The way I've understood it, is that glass is much more finicky than paint in terms of prep.

KillaCam
08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Did you polish the windshield and use eraser before applying flyby30? I've done that every time and always had great results for months.

frankprozzoly
08-11-2014, 07:11 PM
I've used pinnacle sealant for glass. It works well but it can be difficult to buff. The first time I used it, I don't think it was completely dry.

Now that I'm starting from scratch with the new car, I'm just gonna stick with wax. I've been putting collinite 845 on. I don't know how long it'll last but I clean and wax so much longevity doesn't matter. Wax is much easier to apply and remove

lyodbraun
08-11-2014, 08:33 PM
What was your process for prepping the windshield? The way I've understood it, is that glass is much more finicky than paint in terms of prep.

Polished with orange lc pad with menzerna fg400 then cleaned with eraser and followed directions as per fly by 30 bottle directions, let cure in garage for well over 12 hours.. I had tried this before last year and was not impressed but figured it was due to cold temps when I applied it... So just not to sure what is wrong with it like I said I never got to try it out before today as we have had no rain... So can't really say if it even worked from the get go ?

builthatch
08-11-2014, 08:37 PM
i can't recommend Opti-Glass enough due to how hard it actually is when it cures. it's super resistant to...everything. OPT claims impact resistance with test results to back it up but the main claim i can confirm is that wipers do not affect it (as tested on several personal vehicles), which is a huge point on a windscreen coating but at the same time, it allows you to not use your wipers in rain starting at pretty low driving speeds.

of course prep is of the utmost importance prior to coating.

with my one car, i don't drive it in the rain but i get a lot of bug residue with the type of short trips i take. every couple times you wash the car, after you wash and dry the windshield, throw some Opti-Seal on it. ridiculous slickness which makes it even easier to clean than the solely coated state and for some reason, it collects less bugs than with just the coating. i would imagine you could use something like reload too but i haven't yet tested it. i have a 50ml sample and 100ml bottle waiting!

BlackHawk
08-11-2014, 08:51 PM
fly by 30 is plain crap. Thats your problem. Get yourself a Aquapel pack, that stuff is the real deal.

Pureshine
08-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Fly by 30 is not crap it all comes to to proper prep and most glass coatings fail from improper prep. I've used Fly by 30 works great. I wash,clay and then IPA. If you need to polish the window then do that after claying.

frankprozzoly
08-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Aguapel isn't easy to work with. That smeared more than pinnacle. Just use wax or a paint sealant. Easy wax on wax off

KillaCam
08-12-2014, 09:40 PM
fly by 30 is plain crap. Thats your problem. Get yourself a Aquapel pack, that stuff is the real deal.

Completely disagree. How many times have you used flyby?
Aquapel is ridiculously expensive. I can get over 20 applications out of a 50ml bottle of flyby30, that's with two coats. So 50 cents per application compared to $10 per application with aquapel.

allenk4
08-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Aguapel isn't easy to work with. That smeared more than pinnacle. Just use wax or a paint sealant. Easy wax on wax off

I don't think waxes and sealants stand up to wipers very well.

I also don't think they have the same water shedding properties as windshield specific coatings.

I am interested to see a video of your results with wax.
Maybe I am wasting money on coatings.

builthatch
08-12-2014, 10:56 PM
^ that's correct, they don't.

even the most robust coatings (not specifically designed for glass) will wear away with wiper use. so you can imagine what happens to exponentially weaker treatments when they see wiper abrasion...and road wash.

the one wild card is that when you have a coating that isn't designed for glass, its likely you won't have to use the wipers very much...but either way, just get the right thing and not have to worry about it for a LONG time. that's my stance.

chet31
08-12-2014, 11:54 PM
CarPro FlyBy30 is incredibly easy to use and the complete kit includes everything you need to polish, prep and coat your glass with protection that lasts for up to 8 months.

Directions:
Wash and dry exterior glass.
Polish with CarPro CeriGlass by hand or machine to smooth the glass and remove any impurities.
Thoroughly clean the glass with CarPro Eraser.
Apply a few drops of FlyBy30 onto a CarPro Suede Applicator and apply in a criss-cross pattern. Apply more product as needed.
Let CarPro FlyBy30 cure for 1 minute. If it is cold or damp allow for additional curing time.
Wipe away residue with a clean microfiber towel.
Allow to cure for at least 12 hours before exposure to water or the environment. The cure time can be greatly reduced or eliminated by heating the coating with a UV lamp.

Perhaps it's just me, but this product seems anything but "incredibly easy to use." The mess from the Ceriglass alone is enough to scare me off.