PDA

View Full Version : My car wash water filtration system

Pages : [1] 2

.Rolex
08-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I recently had some time to kill so I decided to build my own filter since I get really hard water. It ran me about $430 for the parts but I ended up spending another hundred for some hardware equipment. I thought I'd share a few pics :D

http://i.imgur.com/cb7qU6S.jpg?1

Incoming water:
http://i.imgur.com/5ajMF6x.jpg

Outgoing water:
http://i.imgur.com/doNcjzl.jpg

Just02896
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Very cool! I like that you made it portable!

jamesboyy
08-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Great looking set up you made

frankprozzoly
08-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Isn't the cr spotless system cheaper

.Rolex
08-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Great looking set up you made

Very cool! I like that you made it portable!

Thanks, I only wish I didn't scratch the canisters - I dropped them in the yard and also scratched them with a wrench by accident. I should've been more careful heh.

.Rolex
08-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Isn't the cr spotless system cheaper

Na, they cost the same besides the hardware I had to pay for but those are lifetime tools. If I was to buy everything in bulk it would cost me significantly less to build each system -~$200. Anyway, mine has a few minor advantages over CR Spotless, mine has a dual TDS so you get the incoming reading as well as the outgoing. In addition, CR Spotless doesn't have a regulator to control outgoing water flow - they say to use the flat setting on their nozzle or hook up to a pressure washer. Instead, mine has a hose bib so I can adjust the water flow for any hose attachment, fill up buckets directly from the bib, and shutoff the outgoing water flow without shutting off the incoming water flow. Also, I'm running separate rechargeable resin cartridges different from CR Spotless resin so I won't need to purchase "replacements" in the future. When the cartridges no longer provide clean water I will simply recharge them for under $15 and get another couple hundred gallons before I recharge them again :)

frankprozzoly
08-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm very interested in a system like this. I just read a review that the griots system is better than cr spotless. I've said this many times, I wish I invested in this rather than the master blaster

kochdalton87
08-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Na, they cost the same besides the hardware I had to pay for but those are lifetime tools. If I was to buy everything in bulk it would cost me significantly less to build each system -~$200. Anyway, mine has a few minor advantages over CR Spotless, mine has a dual TDS so you get the incoming reading as well as the outgoing. In addition, CR Spotless doesn't have a regulator to control outgoing water flow - they say to use the flat setting on their nozzle or hook up to a pressure washer. Instead, mine has a hose bib so I can adjust the water flow for any hose attachment, fill up buckets directly from the bib, and shutoff the outgoing water flow without shutting off the incoming water flow. Also, I'm running separate rechargeable resin cartridges different from CR Spotless resin so I won't need to purchase "replacements" in the future. When the cartridges no longer provide clean water I will simply recharge them for under $15 and get another couple hundred gallons before I recharge them again :)

Interesting, care to explain the "recharging" process a bit more in depth? Although I don't see myself purchasing a CR or similar set-up you have my interest. How's it different from the CR other than the readings that you're able to achieve? Does it use the same type of resin that the CR uses?

oldmodman
08-10-2014, 12:50 AM
Interesting, care to explain the "recharging" process a bit more in depth? Although I don't see myself purchasing a CR or similar set-up you have my interest. How's it different from the CR other than the readings that you're able to achieve? Does it use the same type of resin that the CR uses?

I would be interested to know too.

My guess is that you are running separate anion and caption cartridges so that you can clean and renew each chemistry individually. Instead of having to throw out the mixed resin like CR sells. I have been considering doing the same thing to my CR system once I have used up all 50 pounds of mixed bed resin I have. After you renew your resins how long do they last when compared with them new?
But it really looks like you got a good value. That was a very high crud factor before your filtration system.
Could you provide a link to your source on the TDS meter? I would like to add a better meter to my system.

.Rolex
08-10-2014, 04:51 AM

Mine has a few extra features as stated in the quote above. CR Spotless uses a mixed blend of resins while mine has isolated base and acid resins. Due to these resins being ion exchange in the Hydrogen form you can easily recharge the Anions (base resin) by placing them in a strong base solution such as lye and the Cations (acid resin) in a strong acid such as muriatic. Both of these are available in home improvement stores.

I would be interested to know too.

My guess is that you are running separate anion and caption cartridges so that you can clean and renew each chemistry individually. Instead of having to throw out the mixed resin like CR sells. I have been considering doing the same thing to my CR system once I have used up all 50 pounds of mixed bed resin I have. After you renew your resins how long do they last when compared with them new?
But it really looks like you got a good value. That was a very high crud factor before your filtration system.
Could you provide a link to your source on the TDS meter? I would like to add a better meter to my system.

That is correct, I'm using two filters to run one cartridge with Anions and the other with Cations. Resins can last a real long time. While the recharged resins will not have the same capacity as virgin resins the difference will be negligible at most. Lets just say you can renew the resin everyday for years before having to replace them, so when regenerating them every few weeks/months they can easily last more than 5 years.

As for the TDS meter this is the one I'm using HM DM 1 Inline Dual TDS Meter Reverse Osmosis Ro Di DM1 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM-DM-1-Inline-Dual-TDS-Meter-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-DM1-/370298984978?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item56378a1a12) and it works fantastic. I highly recommend it and that's about one of the lowest prices you will find including shipping :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
08-10-2014, 04:58 AM
:wow:, now that's what I call using some thought and ingenuity!

Thanks for sharing it! :props:

kochdalton87
08-10-2014, 05:07 AM
Mine has a few extra features as stated in the quote above. CR Spotless uses a mixed blend of resins while mine has isolated base and acid resins. Due to these resins being ion exchange in the Hydrogen form you can easily recharge the Anions (base resin) by placing them in a strong base solution such as lye and the Cations (acid resin) in a strong acid such as muriatic. Both of these are available in home improvement stores.

That is correct, I'm using two filters to run one cartridge with Anions and the other with Cations. Resins can last a real long time. While the recharged resins will not have the same capacity as virgin resins the difference will be negligible at most. Lets just say you can renew the resin everyday for years before having to replace them, so when regenerating them every few weeks/months they can easily last more than 5 years.

As for the TDS meter this is the one I'm using HM DM 1 Inline Dual TDS Meter Reverse Osmosis Ro Di DM1 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM-DM-1-Inline-Dual-TDS-Meter-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-DM1-/370298984978?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item56378a1a12) and it works fantastic. I highly recommend it and that's about one of the lowest prices you will find including shipping :xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Have you had an opportunity to do some testing yet?

Woob
08-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Got a build list? This is impressive.

.Rolex
08-11-2014, 02:41 AM
Got a build list? This is impressive.

thanks!

sure, would you like me to type one up?

.Rolex
08-11-2014, 02:45 AM
:wow:, now that's what I call using some thought and ingenuity!

Thanks for sharing it! :props:

thanks for the compliment, nice chevy :xyxthumbs: