PDA

View Full Version : product knowledge

Pages : [1] 2

harvini
08-09-2014, 12:44 PM
As alot of you know its important to keep costs down while detailing.
my question is about I.P.A ... is all I.P.A the same or is car cleaning isopropyl alcohol different?

builthatch
08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
As alot of you know its important to keep costs down while detailing.
my question is about I.P.A ... is all I.P.A the same or is car cleaning isopropyl alcohol different?

same. exact. thing. one's diluted more than the other.

IPA solution around here is typically a lower percentage of alcohol, say, 20% on average.

the stuff you get in the store is 50/70/91% and is used as the base for the car cleaning version.

Niblick
08-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Builthatch is spot on. isopropyl alcohol is the name given to a very specific chemical. therefore IPA is IPA is IPA. if they mess with it (other than diluting it with water), they have to call it something else.

FUNX650
08-09-2014, 01:39 PM
if they mess with it (other than diluting it with water), they have to call it something else.
Other IPA names without messing with it:

Propan-2-ol; Isopropanol; Rubbing alcohol;
sec-Propyl alcohol; s-Propanol; iPrOH

Bob

brondondolon
08-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Bob what do you do for a living youre always giving the chemical makeup to things.

builthatch
08-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Bob

growing up, the rubbing alcohol we had contained ethyl alcohol!

FUNX650
08-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Bob what do you do for a living youre always giving the chemical makeup to things.
•I'm retired now.

•You know how it is when something happens to you that
has a bearing on your future possible career choice(s)..?
-Well this is what happened to me.

When I was just a tad, I wondered:
When I drink a big glass of grape Kool-Aid and pee it out later on...Where does the purple go?

:D

Bob

dlc95
08-09-2014, 09:36 PM
•I'm retired now.

•You know how it is when something happens to you that
has a bearing on your future possible career choice(s)..?
-Well this is what happened to me.

When I was just a tad, I wondered:
When I drink a big glass of grape Kool-Aid and pee it out later on...Where does the purple go?

:D

Bob

Love it!

DaveT435
08-09-2014, 09:53 PM

I would guess engineer...possibly even chemical engineer.

Paul A.
08-10-2014, 12:49 AM
I have always simply purchased the pharmacy stocked iso alc. Sometimes the 70% stuff and sometimes the 91% stuff.

So where does the purple stuff go, Bob? (haha, love it!)

Niblick
08-10-2014, 04:28 AM

Bob

sorry, i think you may have misunderstood. what I'm saying is that if it says IPA on the bottle, then its IPA in the bottle. if they add another product other than diluting it with water, its no longer IPA. which i think is what the original post was asking. i may be mistaken of course

FUNX650
08-10-2014, 07:52 AM
sorry, i think you may have misunderstood. what I'm saying is that if it says IPA on the bottle, then its IPA in the bottle. if they add another product other than diluting it with water, its no longer IPA. which i think is what the original post was asking. i may be mistaken of course
No...I did understand.

It's just a heads-up that the synonyms of the chemical ingredients may be listed on consumer products.

Bob

harvini
08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
thanks guys i thought so! would i be best to dilute it down if i get like the 90% stuff?

FUNX650
08-10-2014, 11:13 AM
thanks guys i thought so! would i be best to dilute it down if i get like the 90% stuff?
Yes...Here's a guide/How-To:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

Bob

Niblick
08-10-2014, 12:54 PM
No...I did understand.

It's just a heads-up that the synonyms of the chemical ingredients may be listed on consumer products.

Bob

ah, sorry, i'd missed the point of your post. by quoting my post in the way that you did it appeared that you disagreed with it. what your actually saying is that there are many names for IPA, but its still all just IPA. a rose by any other name as it were :)