PDA

View Full Version : steam cleaner necessities

Pages : [1] 2

TurboToys
08-08-2014, 11:36 PM
so i purchased the cheaper mcculloch 1275 which still offers pretty close to the same specs as the bigger ones they sell.

but i see people dropping 800-2500 on machines that do have nicer attachments, but also have steam ranging from 50-120 psi and up to 350F temps.

when do you really need to have something that is better than 48psi and 220F temps? does a hotter and harder shooting steam just clean faster? i wouldn't think that there would be much that 220F steam wouldn't be able to dissolve and remove.

i mainly purchased mine to clean leather and carpet since it seems to be such an easy way to get the job done.

insight would be helpful, i couldn't really find any solid comparisons on lower end steamers vs higher end steamers.

thebamboo23
08-09-2014, 12:27 AM
if you're only using it for personal use, than stay with what you got

It does the job perfectly fine

TurboToys
08-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Right I know it works good, already used it in a few headliners and some consoles with some nasty spills in them.

More wondering about the difference you can expect from the different power levels of other steamers, obviously tank size comes into play as well, but what can the more powerful steamers do that the smaller ones like this cant?

Pureshine
08-09-2014, 01:15 AM
It comes down to need and quality really. I have the vapamore mr100 $300 and I use it in my shop ever day love it. Like the Dupray has more pressure and dryer steam and is much better made than mine and if I had the money I would buy.

TurboToys
08-09-2014, 08:29 AM
So you could say that a high dollar machine provides a better clean or just a quicker clean? I haven't seen anyone do any big comparison videos on multiple strangers side by side yet, wish someone would

Audios S6
08-09-2014, 10:01 AM
So you could say that a high dollar machine provides a better clean or just a quicker clean? I haven't seen anyone do any big comparison videos on multiple strangers side by side yet, wish someone would

You could say that the expensive units provide both better and faster cleaning. The more expensive units utilize 'dry steam' or 'superheated steam'. This allows a greater change in temperature before condensation occurs and generates less condensation (you have to remember when dealing with these units that there isn't much air, the steam is really water in gaseous form). It also results in greater potential energy. Since superheated steam has less water per volume that can erode parts, the parts in contact with steam 'should' last longer with all else being equal. Continuous fill options are really nice too as you don't have down time waiting for a unit to cool down prior to adding more water.

As for better cleaning: Higher heat and pressure generally equates to better cleaning. The idea of less condensation is attractive when dealing with headliners, but in most other cases you may have already applied a liquid to a stain so a little additional condensation is a moot point. It's important to note that adding high heat to an acidic or alkaline solution will push the pH further in the same direction (Jason Rose's comment from DF2014). But in general, the higher heat will help emulsify stains better.

As for faster cleaning: Just like a pressure washer, more heat and more pressure is much faster. But also consider that high pressure may push stains deeper into a fabric surface and require you to come back and clean again. The continuous fill can save you a half hour or more on a job, but only if you used enough steam to need a refill on the 1275 or similar model.

My Take: The expensive units give you much more flexibility in how you tackle a job, but they require some knowledge and experience in how to leverage that flexibility. I've got the 1275 and I'm very happy with it for now.

There are some youtube videos of a guy that has many different steamers used for detailing, but they aren't side by side comparisons.

AeroCleanse
08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
You get a bigger machine when you want to use it to wash you car with steam, not just clean interiors. That or when you realize you want a machine that has continuous fill.

oldmodman
08-09-2014, 04:25 PM
if you're only using it for personal use, than stay with what you got

It does the job perfectly fine

This^

The only thing I got for mine was an extra brass brush. I use it for cleaning gum off of sidewalks. It works great! Then I pressure wash to get off the rest of the scmuutz.

But for use on cars I was perfectly happy with just the one extension wand and the higher pressure nozzle. I generally just use it in door jams and under the hood. And sometimes around the gas filler door inside.

VP Mark
08-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I use a McCulloch 1375 on a daily basis and it rocks the house. Would love to have a Dupray Megasteamopolis 3000 but it's hard to justify the cost when the McCulloch works really well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

TurboToys
08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
There are some youtube videos of a guy that has many different steamers used for detailing, but they aren't side by side comparisons.

i'd like to see some of those, do you have any links or names?

also, i think my only complaint right now with the mcculloch is that it seems to drop in working pressure if you keep going with it for a few minutes straight with no time in between for pressure buildup... i think i might make a new cap for it and put a pressure gauge on it so i can keep an eye on the pressures and see if my suspicions are correct or not, that the steamer drops to about half its working pressure afte ra few minutes of continuous use. it is very cheap, and does work decent for what it is supposed to do, so i shouldn't complain too much right.

TCFatboy
08-10-2014, 11:13 PM
in 06 I decide it to purchased a nice steam machine a vapporeto 3000 / made in Italy. it cost me back then $1050.00dls

I wasn`t sattisfied at all with the machine / too expensive for what it delivers.

I sold it, then went back to Basics. McCulloch ever since and just working fine!!

I use it in all my interior details. I dont see a better way than steam

TurboToys
08-11-2014, 01:17 AM
in 06 I decide it to purchased a nice steam machine a vapporeto 3000 / made in Italy. it cost me back then $1050.00dls

I wasn`t sattisfied at all with the machine / too expensive for what it delivers.

I sold it, then went back to Basics. McCulloch ever since and just working fine!!

I use it in all my interior details. I dont see a better way than steam

you never run into a need to run a steam that hits 300-330 deg F, versus the 220 that the mccullochs are at?

Audios S6
08-12-2014, 08:46 PM
i'd like to see some of those, do you have any links or names?

Finally found them. The author on Youtube is 'kleencar' .

He does have a number of videos with different steamers, not dedicated reviews, but you can see then in action on anything from interior to wheels.

E-WAY
08-12-2014, 10:34 PM
I recently upgrade my mytee firebird steamer to Dupray Tosca Steam. I only upgrade because mytee attachment broke after I had it for a year didn't feel like replacing the parts. I decided to upgrade it to a more durable steamer and didn't take long to heat and better psi.

TurboToys
08-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Finally found them. The author on Youtube is 'kleencar' .

He does have a number of videos with different steamers, not dedicated reviews, but you can see then in action on anything from interior to wheels.

thanks, i'll take a look

I recently upgrade my mytee firebird steamer to Dupray Tosca Steam. I only upgrade because mytee attachment broke after I had it for a year didn't feel like replacing the parts. I decided to upgrade it to a more durable steamer and didn't take long to heat and better psi.

ok, but what is the difference between the two in terms of cleaning power?