PDA

View Full Version : Can't clean off spilled gas

SonnyZ4
08-08-2014, 08:47 PM
While replacing the gas tank on my Wrangler, I managed to spill some gas while on it transferring it to the new tank.

I tried to clean it up right after I spilled it but it only smeared dirt and now none of the areas will clean up. Its almost like it sealed in the dirt in the areas in spilled.

The tank wasn't completely mounted so I couldn't back it out to wash it off until the next morning (roughly 8 hours later). I tried car soap and water, simple green, and even dawn dish detergent (hey, I got desperate :bash:)

I'm out of ideas, so what would you guys suggest to clean off the paint and bumper?

I have access to a steam cleaner if that helps cleaning it up

thanks!

conman1395
08-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Simple green should have been the desperate measure, not Dawn.... Pictures are going help us all out. My only suggestion would be to clay and then use the least aggressive abrasive needed because you've probably chemically etched the paint.

jamesboyy
08-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Within those 8 or more hours that gasoline sounds as if it etched into the paintwork therefore you most likely gonna have to use a compound and polish to hopefully fix the situation (mezerna fg400 and sf400)if that DAT polishes don't help then repaint is hopefully the better choice

geekdout
08-08-2014, 10:38 PM
When I used to live on Amelia Island I would go to the Concours every year. The car show they put on before the auction is truly world class and its really nothing to see million dollar cars there. It was really common to see paint damage around the fuel filler cap.

At this point your only hope is to try and polish out the damaged areas. Good luck.

SonnyZ4
08-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Here is the best photo I can get of where it spilled. It also got on the bumper which is bedlined, so I'll have to figure out how to clean that off too

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3866/14867957494_1eccb88139_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oDQaLJ)IMG_1352 (https://flic.kr/p/oDQaLJ) by ,

Thanks again, I went ahead and ordered some new supplies

I didn't find Merenza SF400 though

Crispy
09-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Usually gas just screws up the LSP, so just polish and re-seal. If it has etched into paint then 2000 grit sanding and compounding is fastest way.

AGOatemywallet
09-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Fg400

GSKR
09-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Paint rear bumper.now on paint issue take a terry cloth towel with some sort of cleaner wax or compound rub moderately stand Bach and see if the gas penetrated through clear and also to see if it's a single stage .if I recall u do not have a lot of room from gas tank filler then the rear bumper to sand and buff its to tight.good luck

GSKR
09-22-2015, 11:42 PM
If it is etched I would not sand it.Take it to a reputable paint shop ask them if he can correct the promblem if he agrees u leave he will have the painters helper do it,if it fails now it's there promblem.

AGOatemywallet
09-23-2015, 09:21 PM
If it is etched I would not sand it.Take it to a reputable paint shop ask them if he can correct the promblem if he agrees u leave he will have the painters helper do it,if it fails now it's there promblem.

?

Please elaborate

I am not following you

oldmodman
09-24-2015, 03:19 AM
If I am looking at your photo correctly the paint damage is on your trailer load bar?

if that is correct take it off, sand it, wash it down with laquer thinner, spray it with a primer then with your color top coat.

The paint that was applied by the manufacturer was melted by the gasoline. Just remove it and paint it again. Doesn't have to quality automotive paint, just rattle can chassis semi gloss black.