PDA

View Full Version : Wierd stain in storage compartment

Bill1234
08-08-2014, 03:39 PM
I had dropped my car off at the mechanic to get its headlight and module replaced as they both burnt out. Upon returning home, I opened one of the compartments and saw that I had an odd stain indside. A non-automotive light bulb I had left in the car might have leaked and caused it to stain but I dont know the exact issue. I cleaned up most of it with diluted onr, and then dried it as best as I could, left it open and closed the car door so alot of the damp carpet piece would dry fast. It turned out much better than before, but does anybody have an idea of what could have caused it and what I could do to fix it better?

Pureshine
08-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Is that plastic or velvet in there?

Bill1234
08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Is that plastic or velvet in there?

The exterior is faux leather and HDP plastic. The interior feels like velvet or a really thin carpet material. I dont know what the exact material is , but it is very similar to velvet

Pureshine
08-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Ya once that stuff starts going very hard to clean and will peal off very easy. I mostly use Folex when clean that kinda of stuff.

Bill1234
08-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Ya once that stuff starts going very hard to clean and will peal off very easy. I mostly use Folex when clean that kinda of stuff.

It seems like I got most of it, I do have folex too, but I am just wondering if there is anything else I should do?

oldmodman
08-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Is the texture in the stained area exactly the same as the clean areas?

If it isn't and feels "brittle" then a HOT light bulb was tossed on that area and has burned the nylon carpet. And that can not be fixed.

But if it does feel the same just keep trying different carpet stain cleaners and hopefully you hit it lucky.

Bill1234
08-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Is the texture in the stained area exactly the same as the clean areas?

If it isn't and feels "brittle" then a HOT light bulb was tossed on that area and has burned the nylon carpet. And that can not be fixed.

But if it does feel the same just keep trying different carpet stain cleaners and hopefully you hit it lucky.

The light bulb was never plugged in for days, I am thinking the chemical from the bulb leaked into the carpet. Most of it is clean, however, I might try folex next