PDA

View Full Version : On Trying New Products - For Me

asallwey
08-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm a newcomer to Detailing and do just my own vehicles. I love the look of a fully detailed car or motorcycle, but as a retiree don't really want to spend 4-6 hours at it. At Carlisle a few weeks ago I bought some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and NSX 2.0. Used the UC on a M/C gas tank and it worked great. Use the NSX on the bike and on the wife's car with my DA - both looked great! Seem to be excellent products that I'll keep using.

I'm also overwhelming myself reading all sorts of things on this forum and want to try some other products. I'm considering DP's Poli-Coat Paint Sealant (DP-360) for overall coverage. Then a number of folks recommended Duragloss Aquawax for maintenance on the jams/doors. Yes I'll wash regularly, and being old-school, I'll periodically put on a coat of pure Carnauba wax.

Does this sound like a good approach?

VP Mark
08-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Sounds as good as any. Would recommend getting into rinseless washes. After one or two it makes a two bucket wash seem like changing a transmission. DP Poli-Coat is an excellent sealant which offers really strong durability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

Bill1234
08-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm a newcomer to Detailing and do just my own vehicles. I love the look of a fully detailed car or motorcycle, but as a retiree don't really want to spend 4-6 hours at it. At Carlisle a few weeks ago I bought some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and NSX 2.0. Used the UC on a M/C gas tank and it worked great. Use the NSX on the bike and on the wife's car with my DA - both looked great! Seem to be excellent products that I'll keep using.

I'm also overwhelming myself reading all sorts of things on this forum and want to try some other products. I'm considering DP's Poli-Coat Paint Sealant (DP-360) for overall coverage. Then a number of folks recommended Duragloss Aquawax for maintenance on the jams/doors. Yes I'll wash regularly, and being old-school, I'll periodically put on a coat of pure Carnauba wax.

I see what you want here and most of us want the same, however, we are all hooked on making a car/truck/boat or motorcycle look the best it can be. I would personally look at something like collinite 476 or 845. They are relatively easy to apply and last a very long time-(6 months or a year). Ultimate compound and nsx are popular products, but require lots of work almost always. I would wash, clay or start to learn if you never have, and then maybe try some paint correction with the ultimate compound, and then use a collinite branded or your meguiars wax.

JHL88
08-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Im personally a fan of DP Poli Coat. Underrated Sealant IMO.

mwoolfso
08-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Yes. Enjoy!!!!

GettingStarted
08-08-2014, 04:58 PM

If you want to keep playing with products maybe try out the Detail Box?

brondondolon
08-08-2014, 05:06 PM
For a quick coating id recommend Hydr02 by CarPro

asallwey
08-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks all, it sounds like my proposed direction is a good one. I think I'll follow it. Tonight is a good night to make some purchases!

I'll also read up on the suggestions for the future. But what is the "Detail Box?" I didn't find such a critter at the Autogeek store.

Thanks again all!

brondondolon
08-08-2014, 06:46 PM
The detail box is a company that monthly sends you a box with mystery detailing products. If im not mistaken.

randomevent
08-08-2014, 07:27 PM
I think you've got a great idea, but the only thing I would change is the Aquawax use. I wouldn't only relegate it for door jambs. It's a great, quick sealant that also is a nice drying aid. You get a great look for minimal effort, so please consider using it for maintenance for your paint. Once a month is a good timeframe for it, from my experience.

asallwey
08-08-2014, 09:53 PM
The Detail Box sounds interesting, reminds me of a Cheese of the Month I used to get many years ago.

I will experiment with the Aquawax, thanks for the tip.

DaveT435
08-08-2014, 10:04 PM
There is also a thread on here to trade samples of products with other forum members.