PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Lens application

Grifffx4
08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I just got my order of Opti-Lens to do headlight restorations with.

How much do I apply to a single headlight?

Also the syringe says "Destroy after single use"

I sure hope I get more than one use out of this stuff!

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
They just mean don't reuse the syringe for cake icing or anything.

I use kind of a modified Anthony Orosco method for small surfaces like headlights and license plate covers. I take a rectangle of Scott blue shop towel (you can get it at Wal-Mart, etc.) and apply the Opti-Lens to that, then rub that on the lens. Very little waste.

You will use almost nothing on a headlight, I'd say ~1cc to do two coats on a set of headlights.

Grifffx4
08-08-2014, 11:37 AM
So it's only about a few drops per application?

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2014, 11:40 AM
No, more than a few drops, but not half the syringe on each light.

Do you have experience with WOWA sealants?

Grifffx4
08-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Nope. What is WOWA

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Wipe On, Walk Away sealant, like Blackfire Crystal Seal, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Optimum Opti-Seal.

Anyway, you just want to put the Opti-Lens on really thin, and let it flash (evaporate). You may see what looks like an oil-on-water rainbow appearance, which should go away in a few minutes--if it doesn't that's a "high spot" which needs to be buffed down before it cures.

Look for an Opti-Coat application video to get the idea, Opti-Lens takes a bit longer to flash though.

builthatch
08-08-2014, 12:02 PM

haha!

You will use almost nothing on a headlight, I'd say ~1cc to do two coats on a set of headlights.

i'd say it's fraction of that! with this latest tube i've done two sets of headlamps, one with two applications because i had to dig into the lamp a bit and wanted to make sure i had complete coverage...and it's basically at 10cc still.

Grifffx4
08-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the help!

wytstang
08-08-2014, 01:24 PM

I use kind of a modified Anthony Orosco method for small surfaces like headlights and license plate covers. I take a rectangle of Scott blue shop towel (you can get it at Wal-Mart, etc.) and apply the Opti-Lens to that, then rub that on the lens. Very little waste.

Thanks for the tip, I also just picked up opti-lens to do my head lights (3 sets) so this should really help not waste it.

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, I also just picked up opti-lens to do my head lights (3 sets) so this should really help not waste it.

Shoot, I meant to say I take a rectangle and fold it over into a square.

wytstang
08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Gotcha