PDA

View Full Version : Any Meg's wax worth trying?

nubaseal
08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
While I am not a fan of sealants, I don't mind a hybrid wax though. I am more of a Carnuba wax person and while I appreciate the durability of Collinites, I prefer waxes from Dodo Juice and Victoria Wax. Will any of the waxes from Meguiar's offer a good Carnuba look? Meg's generally makes good products but I found the Meg's 26 didn't last two weeks on a daily driver in hot humid weather. That's all I ever tried from their range.

FUNX650
08-08-2014, 09:29 AM
-I will say Yes.

Wait a minute...I may have gotten a little ahead myself;
First, I was going to ask:
What is your definition of "a good carnauba look"?

Bob

trekkeruss
08-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Of the top of my head I think the only other carnauba wax Megs makes besides the Mirror Glaze is their Gold Class. Everything else is called a wax, but are actually sealants.

Chevota Guy
08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
I have used Megs Gold Class Carnauba Paste Wax and liked it. Easy on and easy off with a nice gloss and about 2 months durability (for me). Good wax for the price.

The only negative thing that I recently experienced was a light blushing/ghosting that occurred about 24 hrs later. It was on a Midnight Blue Tahoe that had been in the hot CA sun the next day. A rebuff with a clean microfiber towel seemed to take care of it.

I also applied it on a silver / gray Tundra and can't see any ghosting, but that may be just due to the color.

cheapbutshiny
08-08-2014, 10:18 AM
I used to use Meg's Gold Class, but have switched over to #845 for durability. I always liked the look of the Megs though...I do feel like it's worth trying for the price, and you get a good carnauba "glow" from it.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
08-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Meguiar's Gold Class Paste is pretty decent. I usually got around 1-2 months from it on a black Infiniti Q45 that was (at the time) always outdoors, and in the not-so-friendly environment of Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Good beading, nice slick finish, and a pretty good level of gloss.

c8n
08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
If I remember correctly, I think Mike said that M26 was the only wax out there that improved DOI.

In addition GC is only $11 at Walmart. It's pretty cheap and it won't break the bank so try it out.

nubaseal
08-08-2014, 11:48 AM
If I remember correctly, I think Mike said that M26 was the only wax out there that improved DOI.

In addition GC is only $11 at Walmart. It's pretty cheap and it won't break the bank so try it out.

Only wax? Wow. I need more information on this.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2014, 12:25 PM

That was a statement in a Meguiar's catalog dating back to around 1986 or so.... maybe older. I have this catalog in my collection, just don't have it here in Florida.

Back then there were not many high quality waxes or any compounds and polishes on the market, it was 15+ years before the Internet.

The Internet spawned a lot of new companies and enabled anyone to compete in the marketplace and allowed the little guy to compete with the big guys.

But back then, Meguiar's did have a catalog in their Pro Line that stated M26 had the ability to increase D.O.I. more than a pure polish like #7.

That was the context I believe.

Now days there's lots of quality waxes, sealants and coatings on the market.

:)

nubaseal
08-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks Mike.
How do you find Meg's waxes in comparison to what's out there now (Dodo Juice, Victoria wax, Bouncers, Pinnacle, Blackfire etc.)