PDA

View Full Version : M105/M205 combo for a newbie

VR1
08-08-2014, 04:23 AM
Hi all,

I have a '13 Black Pearl Acura TSX with swirls and scratches. I've been looking into getting the 6" Griots Garage DA or the Porter Cable 7424XP, but I have a few questions beforehand.

1. How difficult is M105 for a newbie to use? I know its the more aggressive compound, but I feel like I will need it. I plan on using some M205 and ScratchX first on test spots to see if those lesser aggressive compounds can give me the results I am looking for, but if not, is it a good idea for a first time user to use M105 with a DA? Is it easy to damage paint with M105?

2. Are these good pad choices for what I plan on doing? Orange for M105, white for M205, and then red for a finishing wax? I will be ordering 5" lake country pads.

3. What wax is recommended for me to use after M105/M205? Is it ok if I do M105+M205+Wax on say the hood one day, then the side panels the second day etc.. If I wash the section beforehand each time?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Since this is your first post to the AGO forum....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Hi all,

I have a '13 Black Pearl Acura TSX with swirls and scratches. I've been looking into getting the 6" Griots Garage DA or the Porter Cable 7424XP, but I have a few questions beforehand.

That's a pretty color, I bought a new Honda Pilot back in 2004 in that color and always thought the paint was very pretty, especially when well-maintained.

Honda paints, especially this color have a known history of being on the soft side of the paint hardness/softness spectrum. This means it's easy to correct but it's also easier to scratch than harder paint systems.

It can also be very prone or easy to micro-mar.

1. How difficult is M105 for a newbie to use? I know its the more aggressive compound, but I feel like I will need it. I plan on using some M205 and ScratchX first on test spots to see if those lesser aggressive compounds can give me the results I am looking for, but if not, is it a good idea for a first time user to use M105 with a DA? Is it easy to damage paint with M105?

M105 is easy to use in my opinion. I worked for Meguiar's when it along with many of the SMAT product were introduced. You will find a lot of people experience excessive dusting and drying up of the product when buffing and while I don't know for sure this could be climate related because there are easily just as many success stories and probably more with this product than stories about people having issues with the product.

One thing for sure... it's VERY common for people to complain when something goes wrong. It's NOT common for people to shout and scream when things go right, they just move on in life.

There is the consumer cousin to M105 called Ultimate Compound and generally speaking, "Consumer" products are formulated to be a lot more Bubba-proof than pro grade product because....

Pro grade products are assumed to be used by professionals, that is a guy or gal that has a job doing the type of work that includes these products 5, 6, and even 7 days a week. For this reason they have a lot of experience and a high skill level. Make sense?

Consumer products are assumed to be used by weekend warriors, in this example it would mean Joe Consumer who is going to buff out their car once a year, maybe twice a year depending upon how they treat the paint AFTER they buff it out the first time. Because Joe Consumer usually doesn't do this type of work 5, 6, and 7 days a week the DON'T have as much experience or the skill level as the professional.

So wise companies formulate their products accordingly.

2. Are these good pad choices for what I plan on doing? Orange for M105, white for M205, and then red for a finishing wax? I will be ordering 5" lake country pads.

Generally speaking "yes".

As I mentioned above, this paint on your Honda has a known history among seasoned detailers in the cyber-world as being soft including my own experience. Thus you could probably use the compound with a polishing pad instead of a cutting pad and remove the defects easily while leaving behind more paint and a nicer looking finish.

3. What wax is recommended for me to use after M105/M205?

Well if you're a "Meguiar's Guy" or gal, then go with a Meguiar's wax. If you're open to suggestions then consider the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran. Applies easy, wipes off SUPER EASY and looks great on black.

Is it ok if I do M105+M205+Wax on say the hood one day, then the side panels the second day etc.. If I wash the section beforehand each time?

Thanks.

Yes. I explain this approach in my how-to book which I whole heartedly endorse and recommend you to get a copy and read it from cover to cover before going out into the garage and buffing out your Honda.

See my Signature Line in any of my posts for links to the three different versions the book is available in.

:)

VR1
08-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks a lot! I definitely plan on reading your book beforehand.

Here's a pic of the current condition of the paint:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5568/14691581806_fc00364620_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/77563743@N05/14691581806/)
IMG_20140713_192248 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/77563743@N05/14691581806/) by simbachinna (https://www.flickr.com/people/77563743@N05/), on Flickr

As you can see, where the sun hits the paint there is a decent amount of swirling. I am not sure if UC + SwirlX will be able to remove these, or if I need the extra aggressiveness of M105 + M205

Mike Phillips
08-08-2014, 08:04 AM
As you can see, where the sun hits the paint there is a decent amount of swirling.

I am not sure if UC + SwirlX will be able to remove these, or if I need the extra aggressiveness of M105 + M205

My instincts tell me that using good technique with a medium cut polish followed by a fine cut polish will leave you with a show car finish.

Maybe share where you're located and one of our stellar forum members that lives near you will show you the ropes...

:)

VR1
08-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks! I'm assuming medium cut would be something like Ultimate compound and fine cut something like Ultimate polish or swirlX. I live in Houston (specifically Katy) TX, I would be happy to have someone show me the ropes.

Dereksdtail
08-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Go with the GG polisher it's a workhorse

wdmaccord
08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Being experienced with black Honda paint, I can tell you that you should go with the Ultimate products, especially if this will be your first attempt. Get the Griot's 6 inch kit that includes pads and call AG to ask them to switch out the 6.5 inch pads for 5.5 inch flat pads. Get a couple orange and couple white. Make sure to remember to order the 5 inch LC backing plate.

Then, I would start with Megs Ultimate Polish on the white pad and do a test spot to see how it comes out. If you need a little more cut, then go to Ultimate Compound on the orange pad. UC will finish nice if you go that route...you can go straight to sealant if you want, then polish the next detail. It will save you some time for this first one. Here's a test spot on a black Accord I did with the GG6, orange pad, and Ultimate Compound about a year ago.

VR1
08-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Being experienced with black Honda paint, I can tell you that you should go with the Ultimate products, especially if this will be your first attempt. Get the Griot's 6 inch kit that includes pads and call AG to ask them to switch out the 6.5 inch pads for 5.5 inch flat pads. Get a couple orange and couple white. Make sure to remember to order the 5 inch LC backing plate.

Then, I would start with Megs Ultimate Polish on the white pad and do a test spot to see how it comes out. If you need a little more cut, then go to Ultimate Compound on the orange pad. UC will finish nice if you go that route...you can go straight to sealant if you want, then polish the next detail. It will save you some time for this first one. Here's a test spot on a black Accord I did with the GG6, orange pad, and Ultimate Compound about a year ago.

Alright, thanks! Do you have any more pics before and afters with UC?

wdmaccord
08-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Alright, thanks! Do you have any more pics before and afters with UC?

Here are some after shots from last year. I did both my daughters car and my car with megs UC and topped with BFWD and BFCS. My daughters car had never been clayed, polished, or anything and I have owned it since it was new (2003). Both were done with an orange pad on a GG6. No finishing polish...straight from UC to sealants.

Kamakaz1961
08-08-2014, 02:17 PM
VR1 You will get alot of different opinions on what product to use, what type of DA to use, how, why, what and when. Out of all these questions, I highly recommend getting Mike Phillips book on how to detail. He gives lots of insight and what pads, machine, etc. to use. I have some teenage kids that want to learn how to detail. Before I even show them, I let them know that they have to read his book 1st.

There are lots of pictures, diagrams, and easy words when you read it. I like that when I read it!!!

I would spend the $$ and buy a copy (either online or book). It is there to make you feel a little more comfortable when you do start correcting paint.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-09-2014, 01:56 AM
My recommendation is to skip the M105/M205 combo for a more user friendly combo of Ultimate Compound/Ultimate polish. These are more user friendly especially UC over M105.

As for pads I enjoy the closed cell construction offered by the Lake Country Hydro techs. It also makes it easy to remember as there is only 3 pads in the line. Cutting, polishing, finishing.

haris300
08-09-2014, 04:58 AM
I had some fun with that paint on a TSX a while back. I used the M105 and M205 combo but honestly the M105 was finishing down so well I probably didn't even need to perform the final polishing.

Good technique and patience goes a long way.

I believe I used yellow and orange LC CSS polishing pads at the time.

http://media.tumblr.com/1cda25a0acef902ca21cbb4412aaa9f8/tumblr_inline_mzvju1pgXR1r0mbsx.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/0d825ef19919f17fd8a6e4e5c514b9be/tumblr_inline_mztosnLnvT1r0mbsx.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/d534f8859dc71c5022352f05ae1be225/tumblr_inline_mzvnb4klMR1r0mbsx.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/c52c3bd0582f338a3b7dd9107c695a34/tumblr_inline_n0lnqboqgU1r0mbsx.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/9f0bbc4d3bf47a9fb6e32708dae0a324/tumblr_inline_mzvovaIbrC1r0mbsx.jpg

conman1395
08-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Buddy, Orange and M105 should be heavy cutting enough. I have a 2010 TSX, had an '06 TL, and in my garage there's a 2014 RLX and 2012 MDX. A couple weeks ago was a CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL 2012 TL too. Never needed anything more than orange+105 except for some really bad stuff (worse than swirls).