PDA

View Full Version : Removing packing tape on new car

PT87
08-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Hey all -

I haven't been around for a while, but I just picked up a new Q50 in white. There is a fair amount of residue from packing tape (car shipped from Japan) still on the car. They are mainly on the roof and are in the shape of 4-5" thin lines.

Now, a little bit of searching yielded various products and methods to remove residue, but I really don't want to experiment on a few day old car and risk harming the clear coat.

What have you found is the safest solution to removing this tape residue?

mwoolfso
08-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Any QD, then some car wash soap first....

If that doesn't work then Stoners Tarminator works well and in a pinch WD40 is a satisfactory replacement. The only time you would ever run into a problem with solvents in Tarminator or WD40 is if you let the product dwell and dry on the paint. So spray, wait 5 seconds and then wipe.

Dr_Pain
08-07-2014, 09:05 AM
If you have some Goo Gone, you may want to try that (if the above does not do the trick). If that does not work fast enough, you can use Mineral Spirits. The adhesive residue should be a breeze to remove. If not, then you may be dealing with something else. In any case, DO NOT bring it back to the dealership.... find a reputable Detailer in your area or a REPUTABLE bodyshop. DO NOT let them wash it!! Most bodyshop will go straight to lacquer thinner, which will definitely take any residue off, but as Mike says, the least aggressive first!!!

PT87
08-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Went down to the garage and used some Meguiar's cleaner wax out of curiosity. It came right off during application! A nice, safe solution!

I'm giving the car its first ONRWW wash tonight!

Thanks for the responses!

atifn79
08-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Have you tried Goo Gone? That stuff rocks. You can buy a mini-bottle for a few bucks anywhere (Target, Office Max, etc.) and then test it out on a small part of the goo to make sure it doesn't ruin the lines. It really shouldn't ruin them.
Atif Naser