PDA

View Full Version : a list of products that can be used in the hot sun?

Pages : [1] 2

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
08-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I know right on the label of a bunch of Poorboy's products they say they can be used on a hot surface. I'm in a predicament, it's hoooot in So Cal right now, and I don't have a truck yet to carry some sort of EzUp tent. So for the next maybe 2 months I'm stuck detailing cars in the blazing sun with whatever I can fit in my roadster. I understand working in direct sunlight isn't ideal, but I have seen some products here and there that claim you can apply them on a hot surface without too much hassle. On the flip I have a bunch in my arsenal that can only be applied on a cool surface, so I'm looking for replacements for them.

It might be starting to cool off by the time I have my truck but I'm curious if anyone here's been in this situation and made it work.

allenk4
08-06-2014, 04:20 PM
I think there are EZ-Up type tents available for around $100..

I would pawn something and buy one, way before I would try to detail in direct sun

VP Mark
08-06-2014, 04:25 PM
I do almost everything in the sun...

ONR washes are great
Megs ultimate paste wax
Optimum opti seal
Optimum GPS and HD Speed work great in direct sun
Optimum hyper polish works well in direct sun

Lots of others too. What are you specifically looking to replace?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
08-06-2014, 04:26 PM
I think there are EZ-Up type tents available for around $100..

I would pawn something and buy one, way before I would try to detail in direct sun

I have a Saturn Sky Redline, I can't picture any EZUp that would fit in my trunk. I guess it's possible the smallest sized one would fit. I suppose I could look at one of those ProUmbrella they make (just saw it on their site) and just move it around to the one area I'm working on. A few months ago I tried to get exact deminsions for the EZ-Up while in the bag, I couldn't find numbers, but from the out of the bag numbers I really don't see how I could put in my trunk. And I really don't want to buy one only to find out it doesn't fit.

I do almost everything in the sun...

ONR washes are great
Megs ultimate paste wax
Optimum opti seal
Optimum GPS and HD Speed work great in direct sun
Optimum hyper polish works well in direct sun

Lots of others too. What are you specifically looking to replace?

I'm looking for a good tire cleaner, I use Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and love it, but you're not suppose to let it dry on tires and with the 60 second dwell time, out here it would probably be bone dry. Also looking for something along the lines of Iron-X. Now when you say you do cars in direct sun, what temperatures are we talking about? It's been sunny and triple digits here lately. I have the Megs Ultimate Paste Wax and just looked at the tub. It says apply to a cool car but can be used on a warm car. I'm going to guess a black car that's been sitting in the So Cal heat for hours is going to be just a bit above warm lol.

MDX Detailing
08-06-2014, 05:29 PM
How does GPS compare to PB polish with sealant?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

VP Mark
08-06-2014, 05:29 PM
No I mean the same temp levels you are talking. Used Megs UPW on an all black car in 90+ just a few days ago. Opti seal is your best friend really though.

I don't use a lot of iron x, mostly just nanoskin sponges and towels.

For tire cleaning I use megs super degreaser. Still the same idea you don't want it to dry but spritzing the tire/wheel with water while it is dwelling works fine.

Optimum power clean can be used with ONR for tires/wheels and won't interrupt onrs rinsing abilities.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
08-06-2014, 05:53 PM
No I mean the same temp levels you are talking. Used Megs UPW on an all black car in 90+ just a few days ago. Opti seal is your best friend really though.

I don't use a lot of iron x, mostly just nanoskin sponges and towels.

For tire cleaning I use megs super degreaser. Still the same idea you don't want it to dry but spritzing the tire/wheel with water while it is dwelling works fine.

Optimum power clean can be used with ONR for tires/wheels and won't interrupt onrs rinsing abilities.

This is great info thanks! I still think I might get the Ez-Up Umbrella though, should fit in my tiny trunk and provide sufficent shade for 1 section at a time. Too bad it costs more than a 10x10 Ez-Up lol.

trekkeruss
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I have a Saturn Sky Redline, I can't picture any EZUp that would fit in my trunk. I guess it's possible the smallest sized one would fit.

The smallest size fold down to 43". Could you carry one in the passenger seat with the roof down?

BrandonS
08-06-2014, 06:53 PM
You need to post pics once loaded. You definitely get the award for smallest work truck! Good luck and try and find some shade.

Stittville Ed
08-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I was at Poorboys Detailing Weekend and people were using their products in direct sun all weekend with good results.

I put the Liquid Natty's Blue on and parked it in the sun and it came right off with no problem.

You might want to call Chris or Steve for more information on their products.

dlc95
08-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Duragloss 101, 111, and 105 have been nice to me in the sun.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
08-07-2014, 01:16 AM
The smallest size fold down to 43". Could you carry one in the passenger seat with the roof down?

I could probably but with the top down I wouldn't have the little trunk space I have. Which I need lol.

umana2482
08-07-2014, 01:31 AM
Products I have had success with out in the sun would be Menzerna line, HD Cut, Megs D151, Megs Synthetic express wax, collinite, there are plenty of products that work well under the sun. BTW I'm Socal.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

PiPUK
08-07-2014, 02:25 AM
Often it is a case of use in the sun being "advised against" rather than actually impossible.

A simple fact is that using chemicals in direct sunlight or on hot panels increases the risk of something going wrong. Some products allow use like this in their literature but it should still be a last resort. We certainly never advise use in these conditions because we consider it a liability. It is accepted dogma that you should avoid heat and direct sunlight. Should damage occur, for whatever reason, we would consider this an indefensible legal position - no matter what we would argue, we cannot prove having tested every scenario and any expert in the field would testify to the fact that direct sunlight and heat should be avoided.

So, if at all possible, you should avoid heat/sunlight, even if the label says it is OK.

Desertnate
08-07-2014, 08:05 AM
I've used Poorboys Pro Polish, EX-P, and Blackhole in direct sun. All of them worked, but it wasn't a fun experience as the temps got higher. Just like any product in those conditions, your work time is very short due to it drying out.