PDA

View Full Version : rupes backing plate and pad matching

lj993
08-06-2014, 03:37 PM
I have a Rupes 21 with the standard 6 inch backing plate (actually 5 1/2 inch measured). I have been using 6 inch LC pads that have worked pretty well. After reading about the virtues of using the Rupes system, I ordered four Rupes 6 inch pads and 2 Rupes microfiber pads. Shipment arrived and I find out that the pads are all too small. The Rupes 6 inch pads actually only have a 5 inch diameter on the hook and loop side that attaches to the backing plate! For a company that prides itself in ease of use, with color coordinated chemical bottle tops and pad colors, you would have thought that they could use a ruler......and to make matters worse, most retailers don't carry the 6 3/4 inch Rupes microfiber pads that fit the 6 inch backing plate. Am I missing something here? Love the product, just don't love the hassle of ordering a 7 inch pad for a 6 inch backing plate......thanks for the rant. Phil

Mike Phillips
08-06-2014, 03:51 PM
I have a Rupes 21 with the standard 6 inch backing plate

Am I missing something here?

Phil

The 7" Rupes pads fit the 6" Rupes backing plates. The 6" Rupes pads fit the 5" Rupes backing plates. What most guys do that want to run the smaller Rupes pads on the Bigfoot 21 is get the Rupes 5" backing plate.

Just to note, I've noticed that most backing plates industry wide always measure smaller in diameter than the advertised size. This probably ensures the wides selection of pads can be used with them as you can always center up a backing plate that is a little smaller than the velcro backing on the back of the pad. It's kind of hard to center up a pad that has a smaller velcro backing (on a pad) to a backing plate with a larger diameter velcro face. It can be done but it does take a couple of tires and in some situations, there may be a risk of the backing plate protruding out further than the pad. Kind of depends on if the pad is tapered or not.

Rues pad are all tapered.

The above probably didn't help much... just trying to help out...

:)

RacerX323
08-07-2014, 07:19 AM
I read and understand the frustration. Rupes sizes their pads differently than other manufacturers.

Rupes 21 = 5 7/8" edge to edge backing plate diameter
Rupes 15 = 4 7/8" edge to edge backing plate diameter

You may want to take a look at Buff Daddy exact fit Rupes backing plates for MF pads. Link here: Buff Daddy Exact Fit Backing Plates (http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/XF-BP-RUPES)

You can get these in many sizes to accommodate most MF pads. Another example of pad sizing weirdness...The Meguiars 5" MF pads are 5 1/2" edge to edge...

Hope this helps.

-Aaron

Xplosive Detail
07-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Can you still do the 5" plate on the mark 21 II. Or is the new lhr 21 have a different shape on the set screw.