PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Dr.

abrcrombe
06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Just saw a commercial for Nu Finish Scratch Dr. It's like a miracle scratch remover and also removes paint scuffs. What is your take on these types of products?

Neothin
06-12-2006, 09:44 PM
all they are are heavy glazes. the same stuff they use at dealerships.

abrcrombe
06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
So basically a quick fix for the problem? Are you better off attacking it with a PC and some polishes?

supercharged
06-12-2006, 11:11 PM
It's the same product as Turtle products...They also make a "once a year polish". Remember the saying - you get what you pay for.
If a were you, I'd get some better scratch/swirl removers form Autogeek. It will cost a little more, but then you are investing, not throwing money away.

It's my own opinion.....Final decision is up to you...

snomon1017
06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
So basically a quick fix for the problem? Are you better off attacking it with a PC and some polishes?

Choice: fix the symptom or treat the problem. If you went to your doctor, what would you ask him/her to do? I take care of my car better than I take of me. If I would make the best choice for myself, of course I would do likewise for my mistress (oops, car that is).

ScottB
06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Choice: fix the symptom or treat the problem. If you went to your doctor, what would you ask him/her to do? I take care of my car better than I take of me. If I would make the best choice for myself, of course I would do likewise for my mistress (oops, car that is).

I would also look at it another way .... do you have a buffer ?? If not, the best and easiest line of attack is a product with fillers (glazes, paint cleaners) to hide the flaws. Polishing by hand ain't gonna cut it.

Now if a PC or a rotary is available ---- then I highly suggest removing/repairing the paint damage and swirls as possible. That said a glaze might still be wanted and needed, if the individual is using a carnuaba based protectant and wants to increase gloss.

abrcrombe
06-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh, I wasn't considering the product, I just wanted to discuss it. I use a PC for my scratch/swirl removal.

jfrano
08-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 Honda Pilot, which unfortunately, I've had to take to Brooklyn on several occasions. So I have a good number of minor scratches. Their basically hairline thick and deep, however they are through the paint and you can see the light color underpaint(?) Short of touching up with paint, is there any hope, with any other product?

Thanks

Kelso
08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
if its through the paint then i dont believe there is anything you can do. when you get minor scratches and polish them out, your just pretty much just tkaing the rest of the surrounding paint down a little bit so its all smooth. like trimming all the treetops or hedges when a section wont grow tall enough, so you cut the others down so theyre even. i hope that makes sense...

oh and did anybody else notice on the nu finish ocmmercials they say it was voted the best car polish or something...(in independant tests)
took me a while to catch the last thing they were saying and from there i just called their bs

GearHead_1
08-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Here's another take on it. I know a guy that though he isn't a dealer (he should be required to have a license) sells I'm sure a dozen or more cars a year. He typically picks up old Mustangs and re-sells them. He's got several very nice Mustangs himself and runs an auto repair shop. People kind of know him as one of "the" Mustang guys and assume that if he had it then it's a great car. He uses this stuff like most people drink water. He covers them in NuFinish and uses there Scratch Doctor as well. These products no doubt help him "unload" these cars. The cars look pretty decent to the uninformed consumer. I'm sure a month or two down the road they wonder what the heck has happened to their shiny paint job.

FloridaNative
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Here's another take on it. I know a guy that though he isn't a dealer (he should be required to have a license) sells I'm sure a dozen or more cars a year. He typically picks up old Mustangs and re-sells them. He's got several very nice Mustangs himself and runs an auto repair shop. People kind of know him as one of "the" Mustang guys and assume that if he had it then it's a great car. He uses this stuff like most people drink water. He covers them in NuFinish and uses there Scratch Doctor as well. These products no doubt help him "unload" these cars. The cars look pretty decent to the uninformed consumer. I'm sure a month or two down the road they wonder what the heck has happened to their shiny paint job.

That's awful!! He should be ashamed of himself doing business like that! Please tell me he doesn't operate in Florida! We have enough shysters here as it is!

jfrano
08-28-2006, 03:41 PM
So what is this only temporary?

emaxxman
08-28-2006, 03:44 PM
yes

Larry A
08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I know guys that buy cars for $500.00 to $1200.00 and sell them for $1500.00 to $2500.00. They fix what is needed and then they clean them up. What kind of products do you think they use. You guessed it , the cheapest kind.

GearHead_1
08-28-2006, 05:06 PM
So what is this only temporary? Lots of fillers was the what I was trying to describe.