View Full Version : Cleaning pads?

sito
08-05-2014, 01:42 PM
How do I clean the buffing pads?
The pads have old wax on it?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AG Online

dlc95
08-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I use some kind of all purpose cleaner, or dedicated pad cleaner. My APC seems to clean more thoroughly, and in less time than the pad cleaner.

I spray them down after use, brush them with a nylon pad cleaning brush, then massage the pad under warm running water to completely dislodge all chemicals/product from the pad. The they get wrong out, mashed into a towel to extract excess water, then placed on cookie cooling trays to dry.

Mike Phillips
08-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Cleaning pads while you're working around a car is probably one of the most important things you can do to ensure good results.

"Clean your pad often"

As for dried wax, use a nylon brush and hold the pad firmly in your had and then brush the face of the pad to knock off the dried crud.

Next, soak the pad overnight in a bucket of hot water mixed with a pad cleaning soap. Squish the pad with your hands as you place into the bucket to work the diluted pad cleaner into the foam.

The next day or after a few hours, squish the pad under running water to work the goo out.

Remember, waxes are NOT supposed to dissolve in water and most of my life when I see people ask this type of question they complain because they can't get all the wax out of the pad.

What they don't understand is this the sign of a good wax. If a wax or sealant breaks down easy in water it certainly won't hold up long on your car.

Compounds and polishes normally do break down easy because the are not formulated to l-a-s-t a l-o-n-g time on your car. They are formulated to cut and polish the paint.

Make sense?

Do a search on this forum using the words,

Water insoluble

:)

RevitalizeAutoSpa
08-05-2014, 02:11 PM
I make sure I have a bucket with either Dawn or Snappy Clean standing by. Pads go in there as they get too dirty\full of product and soak. I then drop them in the washer on a gentle cycle with All Free and Clear. This takes care of cleaning pretty much everything out of my pads other than sealants and waxes (Blackfire Wet Diamond being the worst offender...).