PDA

View Full Version : What is Orange peel

Tonya
08-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Does anyone have a good picture of orange peel? I keep reading about it, however I really don't understand what you are talkin about, or how it happen. Can someone elaborate please.:confused:

joe.p
08-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Does anyone have a good picture of orange peel? I keep reading about it, however I really don't understand what you are talkin about, or how it happen. Can someone elaborate please.:confused:Hi Tonya..Orange peel looks exactly like a peel of an orange..i have a link somewhere that explains why some cars have it..i think its due to improper process when painting..

look at this thread by danponjican for a better idea:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/8140-wet-sand-test-panel-1983-hurst-442-a.html

Tonya
08-04-2007, 09:32 AM
OH... OK, I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up!! I kpet thinking it was the color orange, not the texture of an orange. Thanks!!!

ScottB
08-04-2007, 10:01 AM
its basically the uneven application of paint or clearcoat.

bambo2888
08-04-2007, 11:53 AM
its basically the uneven application of paint or clearcoat.

of which is generally caused by poor preparation, sub par painting conditions (humiditiy), and and highly inexperienced painter...:(

for the record, my accident repair was PLAGUED with orange peel, and after 2 repaints, still remains, i hate dumb body shops. :mad:

Superblackbird
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
How do you correct orange peel?Clay ,polish.Will a PC be good enough with SIP?just another noob query.

D
08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
How do you correct orange peel?Clay ,polish.Will a PC be good enough with SIP?just another noob query.

Only wet sanding. But Ive decided Im NOT going to start wet sanding until I buy a gauge.

FMINUS
08-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Every BMW owner gets free orange peel with purchase!

Largebore
08-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Wow uou are right. Now that I know it is not orange in color I can find a number of places on my "06" with Orange Peel.

Since this is a paint defect, shouldn't the warranty cover it ???

FMINUS
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow uou are right. Now that I know it is not orange in color I can find a number of places on my "06" with Orange Peel.

Since this is a paint defect, shouldn't the warranty cover it ???

I dont think they see it as a defect. Its just "how its done". All the Bimmers Ive owned have had this problem.

Largebore
08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I dont think they see it as a defect. Its just "how its done". All the Bimmers Ive owned have had this problem.
What do they call ilt? A high mark of quality ?

So if a body shop guy does it, then it is crap, but if BMW does it then it is a sign of quality workmanship at its best .

Knowing the German mentality that is probably the case.

D
08-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Bring your car to the dealership and complain. Let us know what happens.

Grimm
08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
All cars come with orange peel from the factory. I'm guessing only the very high end brands of cars may not. I think I've heard it's because of the quick baking process they do because it doesn't give the paint enough time to properly flow and level itself out on the panel.

TOGWT
08-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Orange Peel:
Orange Peel is paint film surface that has a dimpled appearance that paint takes on due to an equipment/operator caused defect. Like wrong paint-gun pressure and/or distance from panel, an operator not knowing how to set-up the equipment for that particular type of paint, or even a partly blocked paint-gun nozzle, improper pre-paint preparation and /or paint application, or uneven drying of the clear coat.

It should be eliminated after the final shooting of clear coat by wet sanding the paint film surface, and polishing with an abrasive polish and a high-speed rotary polisher. It can be removed by wet-sanding (colour sanding) by an experienced detailer

RollingRock
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM

So does every Ford product

Thank God this the worst spot on my truck The light caught it funny so it looks worse than it is

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z217/RollingRockTX/PoorBoys%20F250/IMG_3256.jpg