PDA

View Full Version : Best practice final buff after applying UPG+

Spiney
08-05-2014, 12:17 AM
I posted this on What did you detail today thread and didn't receive a reply. Need advice so I can move on. Product used was ULTIMA Paint Guard Plus sealant, WOWA.

I buffed out swirls & water spots on my 96 SVT Cobra. It's black and scratches easily. Since I've got a bad back I have to do it a panel at a time. I did the front fenders and hood.

I was going to use the Meg's MF kit, the red cutting compound. But then I thought back to things I learned here and at Tuscarora Dave's learning camp. So I tried a less aggressive test spot.

I used Meg's #9 on their MF Polishing pad at 3800 on my Griots GG6. First I did a waterless wash and clay.

I also learned from Dave to slow down. I was going too fast on my passes before. Happy with the test spot I did the whole panel.

Then in preperation to seal with UPG+ I was going to wipe it down with 20% IPA. I took out of the package a new Meg's MF cloth and damn, it scratched it. It was a new cloth in a sealed bag, I shook it out, sprayed IPA on the cloth and liberally on the fender and it scratched.

So I rebuffed out that area and then using other new MF towels I wiped it down with UWW. No scratches!

I then over the course of about 5 hours put 3 coats of UPGP sealant on.

It has some hazy areas. I want to give it a final polish out. Not sure what to use because I don't want to scratch it.

I have several types of MF towels I bought from AG in the last year. Some unused. I should add pictures but they are

- Thick pile blue / gray sold for WW

- Yellow Cobra I think med pile

- Gray chinchilla type, thin bought on BOGO. I think they were advertised as good for final buff

- Purple med-heavy pile could be Cobra also

What should I use and should I used with a QD?

Or, I've never done this should I do a final polish with something on a black OC 5.5" pad? If so, just dry or with some product and at what speed. I don't want to reintroduce scratches.

I've got 3 shows in a row. If this works I'll do as much of the car as I can by the weekend.

I do plan on using as a final topper Croftgate Project X. It's a sealer that really brings out dark paint.

Thanks much, Spiney-Dave

Rsurfer
08-05-2014, 12:39 AM
My question is, if Croftgate Project X sealant brings out dark paint, why bother with Ultima?

Dr Oldz
08-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Agree with above. Also if u have hazy areas with UPGP, you applied to thick. You should barely be able to see if you are applying this product.

davey g-force
08-05-2014, 12:56 AM
How long has it been since you applied it? I have read that any hazing / streaking tends to correct itself after 45 min to 12 hrs.

In the event that it does not correct itself, you can take some Ultima QD and spray and wipe the problem areas. Perhaps any QD would work, but there may be some compatibility issues. :)

Spiney
08-05-2014, 05:32 AM
I have Ultima QD. IT'S been 2-3 days now since last coat. What MF towel is best to use?

I applied to UPGP per the instructions, but I recall some here telling me the instructions call for too much product.

Could I use a pad on my Griotts DA to really shine it up? I have white, blue, and black OC flat pads.

Thanks, Dave

Setec Astronomy
08-05-2014, 06:01 AM
How long has it been since you applied it? I have read that any hazing / streaking tends to correct itself after 45 min to 12 hrs.

I find that to be true with WOWA sealants...usually if you let it sit overnight the high spots disappear...too bad that doesn't work with Opti-Coat!

I have Ultima QD. IT'S been 2-3 days now since last coat. What MF towel is best to use?

Could I use a pad on my Griotts DA to really shine it up? I have white, blue, and black OC flat pads.

Why don't you try your chinchilla with the Ultima QD? Your hazing/streaking/high spots should come off with little effort with the QD. Putting the machine back on the car to remove UPGP residue is I think what Mike Phillips would call "working backwards". Although now that I think about it, at one time I bought a bunch of MF bonnets to put over a pad for buffing off LSP's...not sure that I ever used one. In this case IMO a machine to remove WOWA residue is overkill.

Spiney
08-06-2014, 02:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I wiped it down with a new chinchilla towel and UQD lightly sprayed. That worked pretty good, but even though they were washed, I got lint from the towels. I guess it's they way it is with gloss black paint.

Then using a fresh Meg's MF towel I topped it off with Croftgate Special X sealant enhancer. Used very little sprayed on the towel. It now looks fantastic. Can't wait to pull it out in the sun and take a picture.

Now I have the other 70% of the car to do.

Rsurfer
08-06-2014, 08:42 PM
\[QUOTE=Spiney;1142774]Thanks everyone. I wiped it down with a new chinchilla towel and UQD lightly sprayed. That worked pretty good, but even though they were washed, I got lint from the towels. I guess it's they way it is with gloss black paint.

It's your towel and not the paint that is giving off the lint. Use the right towels and you won't have this problem even on black.

Spiney
08-07-2014, 03:58 AM
[QUOTE=Spiney;1142774]Thanks everyone. I wiped it down with a new chinchilla towel and UQD lightly sprayed. That worked pretty good, but even though they were washed, I got lint from the towels. I guess it's they way it is with gloss black paint.

It's your towel and not the paint that is giving off the lint. Use the right towels and you won't have this problem even on black.

I bought the towels on BOGO from AG. They're supposed to be lint free, and yes I washed them 1st before using them. I'll have to post a picture and look at my receipts to see what they are called. Thanks, Dave

Tector
08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Then in preperation to seal with UPG+ I was going to wipe it down with 20% IPA. I took out of the package a new Meg's MF cloth and damn, it scratched it. It was a new cloth in a sealed bag, I shook it out, sprayed IPA on the cloth and liberally on the fender and it scratched.

Isn't it frustrating when that happens! I used a cotton diaper one time thinking it couldn't get much softer than that and it scratched too. I have given up trying to keep my black car perfect. I wouldn't have any clear coat left if I tried to keep it scratch free under an inspection light.

cleanmycorolla
08-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I always wash my towed before they touch the car, never out of the bag to car....wash first