PDA

View Full Version : Removing interior cloth stains?

Pages : [1] 2

MattN03
08-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I recently purchased a 1997 Honda Accord that is in some need of TLC. I've removed the interior seats and cleaned the carpet with Meg's APC and a bristle brush followed up with a Little Green Machine cleaner (Great Value carpet cleaner in it). I also did this with the seats. The car is much better (3 buckets of black water came out of it-YUCK!). I'd still like to improve on it if possible, but since it's a beater, I don't want to spend a lot either. Is there anything else I can do?

Here is a front seat, and the rest looks similar.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq104/MattN03/20140804_170708_zpspq4tdrir.jpg (http://s438.photobucket.com/user/MattN03/media/20140804_170708_zpspq4tdrir.jpg.html)

BrianT
08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
In my limited experience, Folex has removed any stains I have thrown at it. Cheap too.

Evan.J
08-04-2014, 05:54 PM
My suggestion is that you be careful if you decide to use the extractor on the seats you may experience re-wicking. While the seats will appear clean after as the dry the stain may resurface from the foam and then reappear. If this should happen you may just want to attack the stain on the top of the surface with the tamping method.

MattN03
08-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Evan, is this Folex an extractor? What is the tamping method and what product would you suggest?

wdmaccord
08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Here's how you use folex with LGM and avoid problems:

1) Wet the seat down (you can use a spray bottle or the LGM spray function with only water in the tank).
2) Spray on the folex from a spray bottle
3) Agitate with an upholstery brush
4) Extract using the LGM with only water in the soap tank.

They key is usually good rinsing...that has been my experience. If you leave any residue of the chemical behind, there is a chance for the stain to reappear...or you could have blotchy-ness.

Folex is a carpet/upholstery cleaner you can buy at home improvement stores.

wdmaccord
08-04-2014, 06:11 PM
On the carpets, since you cleaned with an APC, I wouldn't have used the LGM with detergent in the soap tank. Just water would have been better to make sure you got out all the APC residue. Likely you have now have Great Value detergent residue as well as APC residue in the carpets. Creates a magnet for re-staining.

allenk4
08-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Here is some great info from the folks at Meguiar's, films at AGO HQ

Long video, but well worth it

Learned that steam increases the alkalinity of APC.....hmmmm

Also good info about leaving APC on fabrics and why stains re-appear.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HweQSpYdhRs"]Carpet and Upholstery Stain Removal with Jason Rose at Meguiar's - YouTube[/video]

MattN03
08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Great info, thanks everyone! I'll be installing timing belts, etc soon but as soon I finishthat project, I'll get back to cleaning :)

MattN03
08-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Can anyone recommend a good upholstery brush?

MDX Detailing
08-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Wdmaccord, you're exactly right about re-soiling. Many types of cleaners left behind in the carpet will leave a residue that will attract dirt. However, making sure you thoroughly rinse all cleaners out will not prevent all problems. Like Evan said, re-wicking is a major problem when using extractors on foam seats. I think it might need noted that re-wicking and re-soiling is 2 separate issues. Re-wicking would be when the same stain reappears by wicking back up the fibers, think a candle's wick. Re-soiling is when the carpet is clean but is easily dirtied again because the fiber is sticky with a cleaning detergent residue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Kengo123
08-05-2014, 03:30 AM
I would go back at it again and again til it comes out. If you can spend a little extra cash, go to your local janitorial supply shop and pick up a good traffic lane cleaner and fiber rinse product

If not, just use the apc and make sure to rinse and extract enough

But just try to get it as dry as possible before it wicks up. There's a small window of time that it needs to be completely dry before stains and stuff wick back. Dry it by extracting with your lgm or shop vac and dry buffing with cotton towels. Let it air dry only and with fans if you have them

allenk4
08-05-2014, 01:59 PM
In the video, they explain that dilution is not the solution when it comes to neutralizing alkaline products such as APC residue in carpets and fabrics.

allenk4
08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
The biggest take away; from the video, for me was that over 70% of the contaminants in carpet are removed by the brush and vacuum method

Always get it as clean as possible, before applying ANY liquids to carpet and upholstery

wdmaccord
08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Wdmaccord, you're exactly right about re-soiling. Many types of cleaners left behind in the carpet will leave a residue that will attract dirt. However, making sure you thoroughly rinse all cleaners out will not prevent all problems. Like Evan said, re-wicking is a major problem when using extractors on foam seats. I think it might need noted that re-wicking and re-soiling is 2 separate issues. Re-wicking would be when the same stain reappears by wicking back up the fibers, think a candle's wick. Re-soiling is when the carpet is clean but is easily dirtied again because the fiber is sticky with a cleaning detergent residue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Good point...thanks for clarifying that! :dblthumb2:

allenk4
08-05-2014, 05:19 PM
In the video, they explain that dilution is not the solution when it comes to neutralizing alkaline products such as APC residue in carpets and fabrics.

By this, I meant that rinsing with plain water does not effectively remove alkalinity, at least not in the volume of water that you would want to apply to the interior of a car....according to the International Trainer at Meguiar's.