PDA

View Full Version : New user with a few questions regarding sealants

Hella JDM
08-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been into cars for almost 15 years now, having had a few track cars here and there, but always wanted to keep them looking good. Fast forward to several years, and one daughter later, I am still interested in keeping the family cars tippy top. I have a 2009 Accord and a new 2014 Civic Si. My product closet has not been updated in years, with products like OPT Poli-Seal actually going bad and separating (they are sending me a new bottle of GPS for free). I bit the bullet and spent a couple hundred bucks on some new products I wanted to try. Several Chemical Guys soaps, a few topper waxes that I plan to use in between sealant treatments, V7 of course and a few other misc stuff from them. I also picked up a Nanoskin mitt, a foam gun and a bunch of microfiber towels as mine were all getting downgraded because I drop them lol.

I just clayed the Accord, and put a couple coats of Megs Ultimate and I am happy with how the car came out, as I have kept that paint up pretty well. My questions are with regard to the new Si as it doesn't have any protectant on it at the moment. I liked Poli-Seal, but other than that I really don't have any other dedicated sealants. I like the idea of GPS being a glaze, polish and sealant in one, but I know that I will be using the product more often as it won't last as long as a dedicated sealant. I plan on using the Nanoskin mitt on the Si, Washing it with GC Mr. Pink, then applying a sealant either by hand or with my 7424xp. I would love to get some advice on what the best route is. Should I use the GPS, or get a dedicated sealant? Is it better to apply by hand or with the DA? If I go with a dedicated sealant, am I doing the paint a disservice by not getting dedicated glazes and polishes?

swanicyouth
08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I think you will always get the best results by using the correct product dedicated to a single function. AIO's are time savers - and are sort of "jack of all trades....".

However, Optimum's abrasive technology is known for being quite good. The only drawback as I see it is that the protection (with GPS) won't last as long as a dedicated sealant. That, and the fact you may not want to use an AIO (abrasives) every time you wax your car - as it may not be required.

I'd go with GPS and then top it with Opti Seal. Then, refresh Opti Seal as needed. When the paint needs a good cleaning again - whip out the GPS.

Hella JDM
08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
What about buying a dedicated sealant like Wolfgang DGPS, then topping it with a wax?

Also are there any big box stores (or any brick and mortar stores) that sell good products like DGPS or Blackfire Wet diamond?

mcate
08-04-2014, 07:07 PM
I do it all the time. I've topped WDGPS with Fuzion, & Menzerna PL with their CL wax. I seal my daily drivers twice a year, & use the wax for an extra layer of protection, & to "freshen" up the look every month or 2. I can't honestly, however, say that I see much difference when I layer wax over a really good sealant like those 2. I've just done it for years, & old habits are hard to break!
I haven't seen anyplace that sells Wolfgang beside here. It's AG's brand. Menzerna is available other places.

molarman
08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
imo wg 3.0 sealant works quite well, as it's easy to apply and remove; tried the blackfire sealant (wowo) , but it doesn't seem to last as long as the wg sealant; haven't used wax in several yrs since the sealants are now so easy to use

Hella JDM
08-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I ordered DGPS about 20 min ago. What are the thoughts on just topping off DGPS every 2 months with a fresh coat if the paint looks good?