PDA

View Full Version : Is there difference between medium & fine claybar?

sito
08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Is there difference between medium & fine claybar?

When should I use them?

Nick McKees37
08-04-2014, 12:18 PM

When should I use them?

Medium grade is more aggressive, making it ideal for paint over spray, heavy contaminants, etc. On some paint systems a medium ("aggressive") clay bar will mar the paint, requiring a follow up polishing step.

Fine grade is ideal for vehicles that are new or well maintained. "Use the least aggressive approach" applies here. Fine grade clay will not require a follow up polishing step to remove any marring caused by the clay bar.

:dblthumb2:

FUNX650
08-04-2014, 01:40 PM
When should I use them?
Performing the "Baggie Test" is one indicator.

Yes.

TO WIT:

•Automotive Clays' Aggressiveness via:
The size and type of abrasive-grains incorporated therein.
-"Hard fine grains such as alumina, ceramics, and/or Green Carborundum may be incorporated in the flexible material as the fine abrasives.
These grains may be in addition to or replace the aforementioned grains of silica sand and calcium carbonate. Any of the above-mentioned abrasives may be used either alone or as a mixture of two or more selected therefrom. The fine abrasive grains are preferably confined to a diameter in the range of 20 to 30 μm, but the size may also be within a range of from about 3 to about 50 μm depending on the object of polishing. The amount of fine abrasive may be varied within a range of from about 60 to 80 parts by weight with respect to 100 parts weight of plastic flexible material".

•Then there is the "Force Factor":
-Preferably the surface is not forcefully contacted with abrasive. Preferably the amount of force applied to the surface is about 1/30 to 1/200 (or, more preferably still, 1/80 to 1/100) of the amount of force applied to the protrusion. In one embodiment about 0.5 to 3.0 percent of force applied to the protrusion is substantially simultaneously applied to the surface".

•Can't forget the "Lube":
-"A lubricant and/or water may be added to the surface such that the lubricant and/or water is between the plastic flexible tool and the surface while the plastic flexible tool is being applied to the surface".

Source:
Surface polishing method and system:
US Patent NO. 5716259 A

Hope this helps.

Bob

sito
08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Medium grade is more aggressive, making it ideal for paint over spray, heavy contaminants, etc. On some paint systems a medium ("aggressive") clay bar will mar the paint, requiring a follow up polishing step.

Fine grade is ideal for vehicles that are new or well maintained. "Use the least aggressive approach" applies here. Fine grade clay will not require a follow up polishing step to remove any marring caused by the clay bar.

:dblthumb2:

oh. thank you for your answer

sito
08-04-2014, 03:00 PM
can I use medium clay bar to clean windshield ?

jamesboyy
08-04-2014, 08:41 PM
can I use medium clay bar to clean windshield ?

Yes you can just don't forget the lubrication(detail spray or waterless wash) when clay barring the paint or glass

Pureshine
08-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Make it easy on your self and get the nanoskin wash mitt will save you time. They come in fine and medium grade you will get 45 uses out of them and if you drop it just rinse and go.

sito
08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Make it easy on your self and get the nanoskin wash mitt will save you time. They come in fine and medium grade you will get 45 uses out of them and if you drop it just rinse and go.

Can you provide me link to Nanoskin wash mitts?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AG Online

dlc95
08-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Performing the "Baggie Test" is one indicator.

Yes.

TO WIT:

•Automotive Clays' Aggressiveness via:
The size and type of abrasive-grains incorporated therein.
-"Hard fine grains such as alumina, ceramics, and/or Green Carborundum may be incorporated in the flexible material as the fine abrasives.
These grains may be in addition to or replace the aforementioned grains of silica sand and calcium carbonate. Any of the above-mentioned abrasives may be used either alone or as a mixture of two or more selected therefrom. The fine abrasive grains are preferably confined to a diameter in the range of 20 to 30 μm, but the size may also be within a range of from about 3 to about 50 μm depending on the object of polishing. The amount of fine abrasive may be varied within a range of from about 60 to 80 parts by weight with respect to 100 parts weight of plastic flexible material".

•Then there is the "Force Factor":
-Preferably the surface is not forcefully contacted with abrasive. Preferably the amount of force applied to the surface is about 1/30 to 1/200 (or, more preferably still, 1/80 to 1/100) of the amount of force applied to the protrusion. In one embodiment about 0.5 to 3.0 percent of force applied to the protrusion is substantially simultaneously applied to the surface".

•Can't forget the "Lube":
-"A lubricant and/or water may be added to the surface such that the lubricant and/or water is between the plastic flexible tool and the surface while the plastic flexible tool is being applied to the surface".

Source:
Surface polishing method and system:
US Patent NO. 5716259 A

Hope this helps.

Bob

Now THAT is the kind of information I like. Thanks, Bob!

FUNX650
08-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Now THAT is the kind of information I like. Thanks, Bob!
You're Welcome. :)

Bob