PDA

View Full Version : Which coating is best for me?

Chase.Barnett
08-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I picked up a white 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30 and have decided that I am going to proceed with doing a coating. I have read that wax will not bond with opti-coat, but I'd still like to be able to use a spray wax after washing. Is there a coating that wax can bond to or are all coatings stand alone products that never need to be or can be topped with a wax? Feed back please

cleanmycorolla
08-02-2014, 09:27 PM
You could do CQUK and top it with Reload. Or Exo v2 and C2V3. Pinnacle Black Label and the coating booster. There's options out there for coatings with designated toppers if you desired.

Chase.Barnett
08-02-2014, 09:31 PM
You could do CQUK and top it with Reload. Or Exo v2 and C2V3. Pinnacle Black Label and the coating booster. There's options out there for coatings with designated toppers if you desired.

I love the idea of a coating, just not crazy about the idea of my buffer collecting dust and my waxes going to waste. Watching videos of Opti-Coat and the protection that it provides has my jaw on the floor. Unbelievable stuff.

Do the ones you mentioned, especially PBL, last a long time? Coatings are new to me, I just want to make sure I'm using a good product.

Evan.J
08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Or you can do Gtechniq C1 topped with 2 layers of EXO.

In reality you can put a wax or sealant on any of these. Will they last? No.
Will they alter the hydrophobic properties of the coating? Yes for the time being.

For Durablity I would say:
Opti-coat
C1 with 2 coates of EXO
CQuartz UK
PBL
EXO

cleanmycorolla
08-02-2014, 09:48 PM
I love the idea of a coating, just not crazy about the idea of my buffer collecting dust and my waxes going to waste. Watching videos of Opti-Coat and the protection that it provides has my jaw on the floor. Unbelievable stuff.

Do the ones you mentioned, especially PBL, last a long time? Coatings are new to me, I just want to make sure I'm using a good product.

They all seem to meet their claims. And, you can apply wax over these coatings, may not last long though.

Hazcat
08-02-2014, 10:16 PM
If you decide to use a coating one with a booster spray made for it. If not, you may as well keep using a sealant and spray wax. You're going to have to make a decision about your polisher and all your waxes. Perhaps you can find someone else's car to put a shine on.

FUNX650
08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
From where I'm looking...
•Perhaps you, (and now your vehicle), may not be the best of prospects, at least at this time, for any of the 'Coatings'.

•I could Wax on, and on, and on...
about the reasons why...

Bob

Chase.Barnett
08-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I actually have decided that a coating is ultimately the best type of product to protect my car. Truth be told, it's the idea of all of the money that I've spent on pads, product and a buffer that I'll no longer be utilizing.

With that being said.. I live in Houston, it's hot, humid and miserable. I won't miss sweating to death while trying to polish or apply a wax.

Just to make sure that I have this down correctly...

Wash and dry vehicle. Clay if needed, polish out any and all defects in the paint, IPA wipe down, followed by Opti-Coat. Correct?

EVOlved
08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Yes that would be the correct process. If you are looking for more of a deep glossy look I would look more at cquartz or gtechniq rather than opticoat from what I have seen.

Chase.Barnett
08-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Yes that would be the correct process. If you are looking for more of a deep glossy look I would look more at cquartz or gtechniq rather than opticoat from what I have seen.

What's the longevity like? I usually don't keep anything more than three years so I just want to make sure that whatever coating I go with will end up lasting me that long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AG Online

FUNX650
08-03-2014, 12:32 AM
What's the longevity like? I usually don't keep anything more than three years so I just want to make sure that whatever coating I go with will end up lasting me that long.

Keep in mind that Optimum says that their 'Coatings' are permanent---way more than the three years time frame you are seeking.

Now before you ask how to remove an Optimum 'Coating' upon the arrival of the three year period (if so desired)...
I'll say: Polishing it off would be the most appropriate process.

Just out of curiosity:
How...and with what products...did you achieve three years of...I'll call it "Durability"? TIA.

Bob

EVOlved
08-03-2014, 01:03 AM

If that's what you want stick with opticoat. Nothing else is proven to last that long. Cquartz is rated at 2+, c1 is rated up to 5.

Chase.Barnett
08-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Keep in mind that Optimum says that their 'Coatings' are permanent---way more than the three years time frame you are seeking.

Now before you ask how to remove an Optimum 'Coating' upon the arrival of the three year period (if so desired)...
I'll say: Polishing it off would be the most appropriate process.

Just out of curiosity:
How...and with what products...did you achieve three years of...I'll call it "Durability"? TIA.

Bob

Was talking about my vehicle, I usually trade in between 2 and 3 years old. I was making sure that my coating will last the typical ownership of my car. :xyxthumbs:

If that's what you want stick with opticoat. Nothing else is proven to last that long. Cquartz is rated at 2+, c1 is rated up to 5.

Sounds like a plan. :buffing:

What about Exo? I've seen it mentioned a few times.