PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have trouble with Aquawax getting foggy?

Grimm
08-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Has anyone had trouble with Aquawax becoming a hazy mess on their car, specifically the hood? I've used Aquawax about a half dozen times on my black car over the last few months, and the first few times I thought it worked fine. But the last two times I've used it, the hood looks like crap after a day or two. The rest of the car looks fine, but the hood develops a sort of foggy look, like when you get fog on the windshield in the morning. This last time I used it on Saturday, and I didn't even think of it until I noticed how bad the hood looked this afternoon. I don't know if it's the heat of the engine coupled with the 85 degree weather we've had this week or what. I wiped my finger on it, and it was like a smudged mess like maybe the wax had melted. Maybe it's the wax I have underneath not reacting well with it, I don't know.

Sevenrd
08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
You may be applying it too frequently or over-applying. I've read that it can build up and likely lead to what you're experiencing.

I use AW maybe once a month after a wash and haven't seen any haziness. I apply very little to each panel. In between AW I'll use FK425 after washes. It's been working well for me.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-03-2007, 10:22 PM
You may be applying it too frequently or over-applying. I've read that it can build up and likely lead to what you're experiencing.

I use AW maybe once a month after a wash and haven't seen any haziness. I apply very little to each panel. In between AW I'll use FK425 after washes. It's been working well for me.

Yup, listen to Sevenrd on this one and you will be doing fine!:righton:

ltoman
08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Spray waxes have done that to me when I have used excess. By nature, I have a heavy hand; if a little is good, more is better, no? Unfortunately no is the answer. Wash it off and start over. That is what i have done.

LexusAussie
08-04-2007, 03:33 AM
Been using AW for a few months now and only use it about once a month as well. No issues so far.

sparkie
08-04-2007, 06:10 AM
:iagree: You may be using to much... To much build up of sealant. Try some #921 or #521. I used to much #951 on the wife's car and the #921 corrected it.

Grimm
08-04-2007, 07:26 AM
No, I haven't put much on it at all. I used it 2-3 times from like April to late June. But then I polished the car with Menzerna the end of June. I used the AW the day before the 4th of July, and this was the first time I used it since then, so I know I haven't used it too much. In fact the day before the 4th when I used it, was the first time I noticed it getting hazy/foggy. I'm wondering if maybe it's not playing nicely with the wax underneath (test wax from P21S), but it's been fine in all the other areas. Or like Lauren said, maybe I put it on too thick, but I only do like four spritzes on each side of the hood, and then wipe.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-04-2007, 07:55 AM
You say you used 4 pumps for each side of the hood, so 8 pumps for the hood?

If so, yes you used a little too much.

I prime my mf with a pump, then I start with 2 pumps per panel, once I've done about 3 panels the mf has accumulated some aw so I can hold to 1 maybe 1.5 pumps panel.

ScottB
08-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I find with carnauba waxes a carnauba spray topper is best (like Souveran Spray) and leave the synthetic sprays to the sealants.