PDA

View Full Version : how do I choose a polisher?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sito
08-01-2014, 09:07 PM
how do I choose a polisher?
what features do I look for?

meguiar porter, flex, or Girot

custmsprty
08-01-2014, 09:13 PM
What's your budget?

EVOlved
08-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Out of the ones you listed the flex will correct the fastest, next choice would be the GG6" because it has more power than the others and has a lifetime warranty.

That said if you have no plans of doing this as a business or a lot the GG6" would be my choice. If you are doing the things I mentioned I'd pick up the flex and then you can pick up one of the smaller ones later to hit the really tight areas with a small backing plate.

Just02896
08-01-2014, 09:42 PM
IMO the Flex is the most versatile machine out of the bunch. Paired with a Rupes mini, you can do pretty much any correction.

FOCUS.FREAK
08-01-2014, 09:44 PM
What are you looking to do that's the question.

-Jordan

2.ooohhh
08-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Well, ATM I have a flex, PC, GG 6" and GG 3", as well as a dewalt rotary and a makita rotary.

If I had to pick one for a beginner starting out it would be the GG 6" but plan to grab a smaller backing plate with it so it can do double duty. IMHO the GG 3" is underpowered, and while the PC is an excellent stand in for the GG 6" the modest bump in power and the warranty are a nice bonus.

The flex and the rotaries will correct faster, but will also be more aggressive than is needed in many cases not to mention their larger sizes are a little harder to work with in some tight areas.

jamesboyy
08-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Like stated it depends on your money and or skill level(no violation) now if your use to a rotary then by all means grab a flex by the hand and don't let it go but if your just starting out in the machine polishing world then the Groits garage 6 is your best buy for your money cause its easy to use while having a decent lifetime warranty and you can switch the backing plate/pads to accommodate smaller areas

VISITOR
08-01-2014, 10:01 PM
everyone should own at least traditional style DA, with that said pick up a GG6 and a 5", 3.5" and 3" DA backing plates with corresponding pads...

sito
08-02-2014, 07:47 AM
I can accommodate the price for any polisher. I want to learn how to polish my car.

Guessless
08-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, ATM I have a flex, PC, GG 6" and GG 3", as well as a dewalt rotary and a makita rotary.

If I had to pick one for a beginner starting out it would be the GG 6" but plan to grab a smaller backing plate with it so it can do double duty. IMHO the GG 3" is underpowered, and while the PC is an excellent stand in for the GG 6" the modest bump in power and the warranty are a nice bonus.

The flex and the rotaries will correct faster, but will also be more aggressive than is needed in many cases not to mention their larger sizes are a little harder to work with in some tight areas.

+1, well said IMHO.:xyxthumbs:

everyone should own at least traditional style DA, with that said pick up a GG6 and a 5", 3.5" and 3" DA backing plates with corresponding pads...
+1,Same as above.:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
08-02-2014, 10:01 AM
These links will take you to many great articles written by Mike Phillips that are sure to help....:props:

Car Buffers & Polishers (http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html)

Dual Action Polishers

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/26962-how-much-product-do-i-use-my-da-polisher.html)

Wet Buffing Technique (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/36237-wet-buffing-technique.html)

DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html)

A little on choosing the right foam pad.

Personally, I prefer using 5 1/2" foam pads on all my machines. In my opinion, the smaller pad is a perfect balance between size and efficiency. Smaller pads make controlling the polisher easier putting less stress on the machine and the user

Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Tato
08-02-2014, 12:46 PM
If cost isn't an issue, I'd go for a more powerful machine to get the job done.

You can get a Flex 3401, Lake Country changeable backing plate system, Hybrid pads in 6.5", 5", and the CCS pads in 4".

I'd recommend you to get:

6.5": 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black.

5": 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black

CCS 4": 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black.

This way you'll be able to cover mostly any panel design and detail.

For polishes, I'd recommend you to get 16oz of FG400 and 16 oz of SF4000, both from Menzerna.

Get a bunch of quality MF towels, at least 6-8 units. I like the Gold Plush, the purple Super Plush or even the Gray Plush towel (I believe it's called the Supreme).

2 of each, one in 16x16, one in 16x24 size, will give you great variability.

After polishing, I'd recommend you to apply a good protection to your car.

Detailer's Poli-Coat sealant is a very nice product, so is Wolfgang Sealant, or many other sealants AG offers. Pinnacle Black Label Sealant is also top notch.

I also like to apply coating, so you can take a look at Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating, Duragloss Coating, or other options AG offers.

At first, don't forget to get clay or clay substitute to start from a smooth finish. I'd recommend getting nanoskin towel or mitt, in fine or medium grade.

Please, feel free to ask if you have any question regarding my recommendation.

Kind Regards.

Rmd
08-02-2014, 12:59 PM
GG 6" would be my choice for most versitile polisher. You can use multiple sizes of backing plates and pads, has more than enough power for routine use by an enthusiast. If you need some serious muscle for correcting paint, the flex is the best choice, but you will also need a DA polisher for tight areas, bumpers, etc.

sito
08-02-2014, 02:07 PM
what do you think of the porter? is it good tool for newbie like me?

Tato
08-02-2014, 02:14 PM
It's a good tool for a newbie, will take some more time, but I guarantee you it'll be a very pleasure time. If you're only working on your own car, and time is not an issue, you will be glad to use it.

However, consider the GG6 which people say is more powerful (I mean, on real use, because specs are obviously higher as stated), so you can do ~more if your paint is on hard side.

Grab a 5" backing plate, and a 3" backing plate, I'd go for the 5.5" flat pads from LC or, why not, 5.5 CCS pads, they are good as well.

You may want to get 2 Microfiber cutting pads as well (meg's are great) in 5.5".

If you're going for the GG6, or any other PC style machine, read everything recommended by Bobby.

5" plate and 5.5" pads are the WTG on those polishers.

Even if later you order another polisher (like a Flex or Rupes), you can use your PC/GG/etc for spots with smaller backing plate and pads.

Looks a good way to start.

Good luck,

Kind Regards.