PDA

View Full Version : Driving app

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't have navigation. An aftermarket unit will will eliminate my info screen. Don't want to lose that.

If theres any techies out there, what dashboard app do you use

Romach
08-01-2014, 06:21 PM
I recommend a tom tom

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 06:47 PM
I have a garmin. I'm trying to figure out an all in one device.

Navigation, Sirius, music. That sort of stuff.

I looked at aftermarket units. I don't want to lose my IMID ... I looked at using a 7 inch tablet but you have to try and tether your phone to it.

Theres products that mirror your phone to IMID but for some you'd still have to use the phone for control

So back to just using phone as all in one. I'm just trying to learn and get ideas

Capn Blackie
08-01-2014, 07:44 PM
If you have a smart phone then some of the apps for those work very well.

Googe Maps does basic maps and various types of navigation. comes installed on pretty much every android type phone and is an option on the other I think.

Waze, (Way-ze) works as a navigation aid and also helps with traffic and police reporting. It is a group effort with all of the Waze users putting in info about what they see on the road, traffic, construction, accidents, gas stations and their prices. If you have it on it uses data like your speed and compares it to the regular traffic speed on a road and will send out alerts to the area if traffic slows down.

Gas Buddy is a website that tracks gas prices from users and it also has a phone app that works well.

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks im just now learning about all these apps. Some of them are pretty cool

SYMAWD
08-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Get Navfree USA by Navmii for your phone. It's completely free and you can just download maps by state over Wifi so that when you are on the go, you get navigation with 0 data usage. It is a fantastic app.

allenk4
08-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Lots of inexpensive used Garmins out there

main pft
08-02-2014, 11:17 AM
I prefer the app Waze (owned by Google btw) as Capn Blackie already listed.

It gives you all the convenience of navigation in addition to "real time" updates via Waze users regarding traffic, construction, police (nice), hazards on the road, vehicles stopped on shoulder, gas prices, etc, etc. Plus it has a "follow me" feature where you can send another person a link that will open a real time map of your travels. Handy if your traveling alone or at night. If anything "happened" to you that person would have your location.

I use it on my work commute religiously. One time recently I was approaching a clover style highway ramp to a raised highway where I could not see what the traffic was like & was literally 100 ft from merging and my Waze app popped a notification about heavy traffic being just reported by a user.

I bypassed the on-ramp & went a back way & witnessed bumper to bumper traffic at some points where I could see the highway. Probably saved me from being 30-45 minutes late for work. Anyway...

My Garmin nuvi rests in peace in my glovebox.