PDA

View Full Version : Dealer ignorance

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 11:52 AM
The car has 1k miles and a pad is cutting into the rotor. Anyway, I pull it into the garage and young guy starts writing on top of the hood. That info tag they put on your key. So I immediately say wow and the kid looks at me like im crazy for telling him to not write on the hood

You know the techs don't care about your car. I said to the writer I know your busy but pls tell tech to becarefull with the wheels. I said theres not a scratch on the car

They don't care

allenk4
08-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I have been told that it is advised to make sure you car is very clean when brought in for service. Supposedly, this will "encourage" the dealer to treat it better.

My worst experience and fear moving forward it that the dealer will wash it.
I have laminated signage..."Do NOT Wash" in English & Spanish. There are several on the Forum you can print out.

I am considering a new sign that indicates the owner of the vehicle is a huge a-ho** detailer. "Don't Touch My Paint!"

Romach
08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I do that for Audi as they put swirls on my pride and joy.

I now advise service to feel free to vacuum clean the carpets but do not attempt anything more difficult as that deprives me of sometime to do on a Saturday.

Their cleaning team make a point of telling me we only cleaned the carpet and the boot liner as the rest of it is spotless.

One of the more intelligent guys asked me what products I used and what they cost!

As a freelance it consultant i forgot I earn more than this guy and when I gave him a list and costs from AG he nearly cried. My bad!!! My very very bad

actuator_mz3
08-01-2014, 12:59 PM
I have been told that it is advised to make sure you car is very clean when brought in for service. Supposedly, this will "encourage" the dealer to treat it better.

I heard that as well, so I'm washing and generally cleaning up my car tonight. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

FUNX650
08-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I have been told that it is advised to make sure you car is very clean when brought in for service. Supposedly, this will "encourage" the dealer to treat it better

I heard that as well, so I'm washing and generally cleaning up my car tonight. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Yep...If nothing else:
You'll be better enabled to see the blemishes the Stealership is so willing to provide...Gratis!!

Bob

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Of course the seat was a little black. Next time I'm wrapping the car in shrink wrap inside and out

oldmodman
08-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Remember the Peanuts character "PIGPEN"

That is what most people that work at a dealership always remind be of.

One time I watched a young kid getting ready to drive my car out of the write up lane to the back waiting lot and noticed that he was wearing a cloth jump suit. Unfortunately the suit looked like it had been worn all week in the oil change bay. And the guy worked on the ground on his back. He was covered with dirt and oil.

I stopped him from getting anywhere near my car and called the service writer manager over and pointed this out to him. He said that the kid wasn't supposed to be anywhere near any customer or lot cars. The kid said that one of the guys that normally moved the cars was out sick and he had been told to do it. And the kid said "what's the big ####ing deal"

Dealerships :doh: :bolt:

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I'll be better prepared next time. And I'm gonna take pictures of the entire car. They scratch it hopefully there wont be an argument

custmsprty
08-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Always request to do a walk around with the service coordinator before and after.

VISITOR
08-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Remember the Peanuts character "PIGPEN"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v-76c_Ps2TE/TWZ43Yosu7I/AAAAAAAAAFU/6ieLXtebk4k/s320/pig-pen3.png

ChevyKid
08-01-2014, 08:04 PM
From my family being in the car business I can tell you this with all honesty. Most of them do not understand. They don't understand the scratches comes from improper washing they just think it happens to all cars. Many do not notice it and what not. Plus you have to just put yourself in their shoes. They deal with hundreds of cars with numerous ranges of cleanliness most being incredibly dirty. They just simply do not understand. They really mean no harm, and most people are happy with their dealership wash.

frankprozzoly
08-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Right. That's why I'll take every precaution next time

Shane731
08-01-2014, 11:00 PM
I work in the "detail department" at the dealership I work at, and rest assured that people like us who actually care about their cars are a sad few. The materials and products we use on new cars, used cars, customer cars, etc., would make you shudder. That is why when I bought my Civic, I ordered it straight from the factory and took every step possible to ensure it did not go through dealer clean-up. This was a bit easier to do since I work there. I had a few people ask me why I ordered one and didn't just get one off the lot (we had a few 2014 Honda Civic LX sedans in Modern Steel Metallic with a gray interior on the lot), and I got a few weird looks when I flat out told them that I didn't want one that had been washed or had greasy tire dressing all over the tires. I didn't really care, because they weren't the ones who had to get any nasty scratches or swirls out - I did!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/36749-whose-fault-really.html

RA-88Z
08-02-2014, 12:32 AM
The car has 1k miles and a pad is cutting into the rotor. Anyway, I pull it into the garage and young guy starts writing on top of the hood. That info tag they put on your key. So I immediately say wow and the kid looks at me like im crazy for telling him to not write on the hood

You know the techs don't care about your car. I said to the writer I know your busy but pls tell tech to becarefull with the wheels. I said theres not a scratch on the car

They don't care

I find it sad that you have to tell the writer this. That's why there are clipboards.

I am a dealer tech and I do care and treat the cars I work on as they're my own. If I'm doing interior work, where I am in the car for any length of time, I have gloves on and I take off my shoes.

True. When I would take my car to the dealer for the warranty services, I made sure it was spotless and told them to be careful with it. Never let them wash it! -Tell the advisor and put the NO Wash post- it notes on the steering wheel.

Sadly, you wouldn't believe how many people spend 80-100k on a car and just don't take care of it.

MattPersman
08-02-2014, 04:08 AM
You just have to cringe anytime anyone but yourself is gonna do anything with the car at all. Like mentioned not many people understand, you just look and sound insane if you mention anything about it or seem to care. They feel they are trying to help out by wiping the grease off your paint with a sorta clean shop rag with plenty of pressure, maybe if I rub it back and forth 15 times it will be nice and clean. Lol

Fortunately the dealer I get my oil changed at do not wash the cars. It's just change my oil don't touch anything else, tire pressure or anything.