PDA

View Full Version : Question about my trusty old PC 7424XP backing plate

cfiiman
07-31-2014, 11:33 PM
Hey all,

I bought a PC 7424XP years ago and it had a backing plate with it. I used Adam's 6" pads with it. Now I want to get some new pads here at AG and I keep seeing certain backing plate sizes mentioned (4, 5, 6) but I measured mine and it is 5.75, can someone tell me if this is the size that was suppose to come with it. Should I keep it and stick with 6" pads or should I go down to 5" or even 4"? I hear smaller is better with the PC but I'm not sure what to do. I wasn't sure if my 5.75 plate was referred to as a 5" or 6" or something or if it is just an odd size? Thanks for any help.

blkSRT
07-31-2014, 11:50 PM
You're fine with that backing plate if you want to stick with 6 inch pads. Otherwise you need a smaller backing plate. For example use a 5 inch backing plate with 5 1/4 or 5 1/2 pads. Smaller pads will give you faster correction and less strain on the machine.

The reason the backing plate is sized that way is because you always want a smaller backing plate than pad.

cfiiman
08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
You're fine with that backing plate if you want to stick with 6 inch pads. Otherwise you need a smaller backing plate. For example use a 5 inch backing plate with 5 1/4 or 5 1/2 pads. Smaller pads will give you faster correction and less strain on the machine.

The reason the backing plate is sized that way is because you always want a smaller backing plate than pad.

Ok, so I'm stuck with 6" then, thanks for the info! Is there a "best" recommended size for this machine?

blkSRT
08-01-2014, 12:18 AM
You're not stuck but you would have to change the backing plate. I would think most here prefer 5 1/2 inch pads with the PC.

cfiiman
08-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Cool, can you recommend a good set of pads? All I've ever used is Adams.

Jaretr1
08-01-2014, 08:55 AM
I use a 5" backing plate with the 5.5" pads on my PC and it works fine. Not to make this to complicated, but pad recommendation also can be matched with compounds and polishes you are using.

I personally like both the Lake Country Hydrotech pads and the CCS pads.

kevin_1981
08-01-2014, 09:11 AM
I use a 5" backing plate with the 5.5" pads on my PC and it works fine. Not to make this to complicated, but pad recommendation also can be matched with compounds and polishes you are using.

:iagree: I use CCS, and this weekend i will be trying some CG HexLogic pads... i used the green one (hex logic)so far and was impressed

Mike Phillips
08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for any help.

Click this link,

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

More info than just how to mark your backing plate, it's just the first topic in the post.

:xyxthumbs:

cfiiman
08-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Great thanks, I'll check them out. When you say matched with compounds can you explain? Is there a certain brand you have to use or can I still use the Adam's compounds I have left over?

Click this link,

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

More info than just how to mark your backing plate, it's just the first topic in the post.

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike! I'll watch it in a few.

FOCUS.FREAK
08-01-2014, 12:12 PM
If you get a bit bigger pads I would look into getting the matching counter weight. I realized I was using the wrong counter weight, got the correct one and and big improvement in the handling and vibration.

-Jordan

BillE
08-02-2014, 07:43 AM
If you get a bit bigger pads I would look into getting the matching counter weight. I realized I was using the wrong counter weight, got the correct one and and big improvement in the handling and vibration.

-Jordan

Sorry, but I must disagree.

Using the PC as a 'polisher' vice a 'sander', the need of different counter weight is actually not needed. The action of a 'sander' on the machine is much more harsh than when using polishing pads.

Remember, the PC started its' life as a sander, and "we" turned it into a super polisher.

Bill

Mike Phillips
08-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Sorry, but I must disagree.

Using the PC as a 'polisher' vice a 'sander', the need of different counter weight is actually not needed. The action of a 'sander' on the machine is much more harsh than when using polishing pads.

Remember, the PC started its' life as a sander, and "we" turned it into a super polisher.

Bill

And here's the article that documents the history of the PC Sander to PC polisher....

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

I think I'm going to rename the above article...

And here's a related article...

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/52986-history-behind-polishing-paint-da-polisher.html)

And something to think about....

It's only the PC that you can change counterweights, the Meguiar's and Griot's for example, copies of the PC have no provision to change counterweights.

If Jordan notices a big improvement by switching counterweights then that's all that's important. I've never noticed any difference myself and I use these types of tools for all types of things,

Machine sanding car paint = THIN sanding disc.

Machine sanding wood - THIN sanding disc.

Machine paint polishing = Compounding, Polishing & Machine Waxing.

Machine decontamination = Nanoskin pads

:)

dlc95
08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
:iagree: I use CCS, and this weekend i will be trying some CG HexLogic pads... i used the green one (hex logic)so far and was impressed

I have a mixture of CCS and Hex Logic too. I agree with the love for the green one! Wow! I was able to get my neighbor's 04 Mustang cleaned up with the green hex logic, and Ultimate Compound. Also 5.5" size. The blue pad with UP is great too.

I haven't used anything larger than the 5.5" pads on my pc. The 5.5" just works for me, and I don't see the need to "fix what isn't broken".

dlc95
08-05-2014, 01:30 PM
And here's the article that documents the history of the PC Sander to PC polisher....

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

I think I'm going to rename the above article...

And here's a related article...

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/52986-history-behind-polishing-paint-da-polisher.html)

And something to think about....

It's only the PC that you can change counterweights, the Meguiar's and Griot's for example, copies of the PC have no provision to change counterweights.

If Jordan notices a big improvement by switching counterweights then that's all that's important. I've never noticed any difference myself and I use these types of tools for all types of things,

Machine sanding car paint = THIN sanding disc.

Machine sanding wood - THIN sanding disc.

Machine paint polishing = Compounding, Polishing & Machine Waxing.

Machine decontamination = Nanoskin pads

I love that article!

Mike Phillips
08-05-2014, 01:49 PM
I love that article!

Which one?