PDA

View Full Version : Applying LSP with DA

Pages : [1] 2

kevin_1981
07-31-2014, 06:46 PM
I was curious how important rotation of pad is when using a DA to apply LSP.

I can only get rotation when using speed 4.5 or so on my pc. Even when using practically no pressure. From why I've read, this speed seems too powerful for LSP... I've been using ccs blue pads for application..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online

aburgeson
07-31-2014, 06:51 PM
I actually just had this problem today. Same speed as well, I tried it at 4 and the pad just wouldnt move at all. If I wasnt doing a big truck I would have switched to hand application for sure.

BobbyG
07-31-2014, 06:53 PM
For applying last step protection, pad rotation is not important at all.

trekkeruss
07-31-2014, 07:01 PM
I used my Rupes to apply wax once. I honestly didn't see the point, so I went back to applying it by hand. I guess maybe I can apply it more evenly and thinner with a DA, but it just feels better to me doing it manually.

Kamakaz1961
07-31-2014, 07:21 PM
I use speed setting 3 on the PC 7424 XP to apply my LSP. Sealant and then wax. IMO using a DA for applying the LSP is the only way to go.
You cover more area, the application is more uniform and it is just overall faster.
As for speed setting 4 I would guess is fine. You might be putting too much pressure on the DA from having it not spinning. I would assume you put a black stripe on the backing plate to see if your DA is spinning. If the backing plate is not spinning ease off the pressure a bit. It is a fine line between pressure and no pressure.

Eventually, you will get the hang of the technique and have at it applying LSP with a DA.

As for importance of not spinning, I would guess not that much as you are only applying LSP. But I would still try to improve my technique with the backing plate spinning by looking at the stripe. It will help you learn quickly.

kevin_1981
07-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online

CarolinasFinestDetailing
07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
What size pad Kevin? I use 3" pads for applying LSP. I find it easier than 5.5 or 6.5 pad.

4bidden
07-31-2014, 11:21 PM
I had rotation issues before but found out my 16 gauge 50' extension cord was the culprit. Replaced it with a 12 gauge and it has much more power.

So if you're using an extension cord, look into that.

TurboToys
08-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I had rotation issues before but found out my 16 gauge 50' extension cord was the culprit. Replaced it with a 12 gauge and it has much more power.

So if you're using an extension cord, look into that.

16 gauge 110 volt should be rated up to 13 amps about.... and the pc should only pull close to 4.5-5 amp. something may have been wrong in general with your cord. a 16 gauge cord should be more than enough to run a da polisher with that size motor

conman1395
08-01-2014, 12:19 AM
16 gauge 110 volt should be rated up to 13 amps about.... and the pc should only pull close to 4.5-5 amp. something may have been wrong in general with your cord. a 16 gauge cord should be more than enough to run a da polisher with that size motor
Probably because of the length. 50' is pretty long and will have a lot of electrical resistance compared to a shorter cord.

kevin_1981
08-01-2014, 12:21 AM
Sicktred - I'm using 5.5" Pads, with practically just the weight of the 7424 for pressure, and a slight pressure from my hand, and the unit tends to wobble a bit.

4bidden - Im actually using a 100' (maybe 75') extension cord i believe, but it is a 12ga and rated for 15A i believe. I'll try without it anyways as i may be experiencing some voltage drop or something.

TurboToys
08-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Sicktred - I'm using 5.5" Pads, with practically just the weight of the 7424 for pressure, and a slight pressure from my hand, and the unit tends to wobble a bit.

4bidden - Im actually using a 100' (maybe 75') extension cord i believe, but it is a 12ga and rated for 15A i believe. I'll try without it anyways as i may be experiencing some voltage drop or something.

you wouldn't be getting that massive of a voltage drop from 75 ft. it's around 2.8% not enough to make that kind of difference.

what kind of lsp are you using, and what kind of pad? it could be causing it to grab more than a polish would.

kevin_1981
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
you wouldn't be getting that massive of a voltage drop from 75 ft. it's around 2.8% not enough to make that kind of difference.

what kind of lsp are you using, and what kind of pad? it could be causing it to grab more than a polish would.

I was using Meg's ultimate liquid, and poorboys ex with carnauba previously. This weekend I put some Collinite 845 on with the DA, and kept it at speed 3, it had some rotation on the completely flat surfaces. I realized that when i was using the DA with one hand, as to not put presuure on it, i could not keep it perperndicular to the paint surface. I now use 2 hands at all times.

swanicyouth
08-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm thinking this phenomena is normal. A PC with a full size pad will have little rotation at speed 3. You will get a lot of jiggling. Switching to a 4" pad with a 3.5" BP should help. Or, upgrade to a Griots 6" polisher.

KS_Detailing
08-04-2014, 05:00 PM
My GG 3" is great for applying wax:props: